Geocache? Ever find anything interesting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Geocache? Ever find anything interesting?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Geocache? Ever find anything interesting?

So lately I have been Geocaching the crap out of my local area. Soon I'll be moving on to cache's out in the desert. (get better use out of my jeep.)

Yesterday I found a travel bug that originated in Okinawa, Japan. I thought that was pretty cool.

Any of you Geocache?

What's the most interesting thing you've found?

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
shadowwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did it for a while. Never found a travel bug. My GPS finally quit so I have not done it in about 4 years. I wanted to do some hunting while I was deployed to Iraq, but could not locate any close to the area I was in. Might not have been a good idea anyway.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I Cached local with the app for a while. Tapped everything local and just stopped. Found one on my street though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Living in metro-phoenix, I don't see myself running out of caches anytime soon. I'm still waiting to get tired of it.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've found a couple travel bugs. Found a post card from Okinawa in one as well. Found an ammo can cache also.
I took the ammo can........ lol
I've done most of them in my town in like a 2-3 mile radius from my house, I want to go to the Ocala National Forest which is like 2 hours south of me. But fun trails to ride through and a metric ****-ton of caches.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did about 10-12 years ago. Once it got more popular it seemed that too many people lacked decided they could place their caches just anywhere (private property, cemeteries, forestry). I stopped because didnít want to support that type of behavior. I remember one told you to be careful of a dog ( I knew who lived there and they did not place the cache) and the other said be careful when going through the barbed wire fence.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
ElectricLime
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am a bridge inspector by trade and I have found a few on bridges. Interesting? No, but their placement was. Found one on the top cord of a metal truss bridge about 25' off the ground, not sure I would have condoned climbing that height up a 45 degree smooth metal angle without a harness but ohh well.
ElectricLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
bobjp

I cached for about a week after purchasing a GPS for somebody for Christmas but before giving it (Yes, I used their gift, it was expensive). Never really found anything interesting, but the best hidden cache was in a power line pole. They drilled a 3/8" hole, and put a cut off hex head bolt with some kind of tiny metal container attached into the hole (small log sheet was in the container). It was the very first cache I found after getting the GPS, and it was 100 yards from the front door.

It took 4 or 5 of us multiple tries over the course of 2 days to find it. It was on a rural corner with weeds so we weren't just searching on the pole. In hindsight it doesn't make sense for there to be a hex bolt in a power line pole, but there were other screws and nails that help it blend.
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

I been wanting to try this out. Whats the best i phone app out there? And can anyone explain a little bit more about caching itself? Really dont know much about it.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
bobjp

I don't know anything about apps available. Geocaching is where people leave containers ranging in size from about an inch to a shoe box. They post the GPS coordinates online, but the coordinates will only get you within 30 feet and the container is camouflaged. Inside there is a log to sign and date. You can leave or take random items that might be in the container.

It's just something to do outdoors.
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
And can anyone explain a little bit more about caching itself? Really dont know much about it.
It's something to do. A multi-cache (offset) can be, interesting...

Geocaching: http://www.geocaching.com/ Surf the site and check out the tutorials, glossary, and discussion forum (under "community"). It's free to register for a basic membership.

If the container has a rubber stamp in it, and the log is full of different (rubber) stamp images, it is probably NOT a 'cache but, rather, a Letterbox -- a similar but different "hide'n'seek" obsession. In this case, take nothing, leave nothing (except, your trail name in the log).

Whether you find a geocache or a letterbox, put it back exactly where you found it, and camouflage/hide it in it's place so it: is not easily seen by passers-by, and will (might?) be still there for the next seeker (FINDER!).

Respectfully,
Connfederate (trail name)
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

I forgot about this thread. I downloaded a free geocatching app, but it will only show three catches at a time. Ive been extremely busy so i haven't had a chance to use it but hopefully I can in the near future. I could actually use pictures of geocatching for a school project so thats a good excuse to actually go catching.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
lbrunk12

I plan on getting into this when I move to Ausitn. I've heard its really big there. Would love to hear some more stories.
lbrunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use c:geo on my android. works mostly... but hey, it's free! I've had much better luck taking my handheld for the coords and using the app for the info.
Haven't found anything particularly interesting, but I HAVE seen some pretty cool cache containers... a few hex bolts, a plastic fake piece of gum, fake rocks, and one hollowed out rubber rat.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought I lost this thread. I hit about 9 Geocaches in the State area yesterday. I forgot how enjoyable it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.