JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Recreation (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/)
-   -   Geocache? Ever find anything interesting? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/geocache-ever-find-anything-interesting-1565167/)

Billy 08-21-2013 08:49 AM

Geocache? Ever find anything interesting?

So lately I have been Geocaching the crap out of my local area. Soon I'll be moving on to cache's out in the desert. (get better use out of my jeep.)

Yesterday I found a travel bug that originated in Okinawa, Japan. I thought that was pretty cool.

Any of you Geocache?

What's the most interesting thing you've found?

:wave:

shadowwalker 08-28-2013 09:31 PM

I did it for a while. Never found a travel bug. My GPS finally quit so I have not done it in about 4 years. I wanted to do some hunting while I was deployed to Iraq, but could not locate any close to the area I was in. Might not have been a good idea anyway.:laugh:

sjones26573 08-28-2013 09:37 PM

I Cached local with the app for a while. Tapped everything local and just stopped. Found one on my street though.

Billy 08-29-2013 05:49 AM

Living in metro-phoenix, I don't see myself running out of caches anytime soon. I'm still waiting to get tired of it.

Budke 08-29-2013 12:55 PM

I've found a couple travel bugs. Found a post card from Okinawa in one as well. Found an ammo can cache also.
I took the ammo can........ lol
I've done most of them in my town in like a 2-3 mile radius from my house, I want to go to the Ocala National Forest which is like 2 hours south of me. But fun trails to ride through and a metric ****-ton of caches.

Ross 09-04-2013 10:43 AM

I did about 10-12 years ago. Once it got more popular it seemed that too many people lacked decided they could place their caches just anywhere (private property, cemeteries, forestry). I stopped because didnít want to support that type of behavior. I remember one told you to be careful of a dog ( I knew who lived there and they did not place the cache) and the other said be careful when going through the barbed wire fence.

ElectricLime 03-27-2014 09:37 PM

I am a bridge inspector by trade and I have found a few on bridges. Interesting? No, but their placement was. Found one on the top cord of a metal truss bridge about 25' off the ground, not sure I would have condoned climbing that height up a 45 degree smooth metal angle without a harness but ohh well.

bobjp 04-05-2014 11:18 AM

I cached for about a week after purchasing a GPS for somebody for Christmas but before giving it (Yes, I used their gift, it was expensive). Never really found anything interesting, but the best hidden cache was in a power line pole. They drilled a 3/8" hole, and put a cut off hex head bolt with some kind of tiny metal container attached into the hole (small log sheet was in the container). It was the very first cache I found after getting the GPS, and it was 100 yards from the front door.

It took 4 or 5 of us multiple tries over the course of 2 days to find it. It was on a rural corner with weeds so we weren't just searching on the pole. In hindsight it doesn't make sense for there to be a hex bolt in a power line pole, but there were other screws and nails that help it blend.

JeepComanche89 04-06-2014 04:51 PM

I been wanting to try this out. Whats the best i phone app out there? And can anyone explain a little bit more about caching itself? Really dont know much about it.

bobjp 04-06-2014 08:14 PM

I don't know anything about apps available. Geocaching is where people leave containers ranging in size from about an inch to a shoe box. They post the GPS coordinates online, but the coordinates will only get you within 30 feet and the container is camouflaged. Inside there is a log to sign and date. You can leave or take random items that might be in the container.

It's just something to do outdoors.

OlYellerTJ 04-10-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 (Post 21918753)
And can anyone explain a little bit more about caching itself? Really dont know much about it.

It's something to do. A multi-cache (offset) can be, interesting...

Geocaching: http://www.geocaching.com/ Surf the site and check out the tutorials, glossary, and discussion forum (under "community"). It's free to register for a basic membership.

If the container has a rubber stamp in it, and the log is full of different (rubber) stamp images, it is probably NOT a 'cache but, rather, a Letterbox -- a similar but different "hide'n'seek" obsession. In this case, take nothing, leave nothing (except, your trail name in the log).

Whether you find a geocache or a letterbox, put it back exactly where you found it, and camouflage/hide it in it's place so it: is not easily seen by passers-by, and will (might?) be still there for the next seeker (FINDER!).

Respectfully,
Connfederate (trail name)

JeepComanche89 04-29-2014 09:55 AM

I forgot about this thread. I downloaded a free geocatching app, but it will only show three catches at a time. Ive been extremely busy so i haven't had a chance to use it but hopefully I can in the near future. I could actually use pictures of geocatching for a school project so thats a good excuse to actually go catching.

lbrunk12 04-30-2014 10:10 AM

I plan on getting into this when I move to Ausitn. I've heard its really big there. Would love to hear some more stories.

gcan 05-02-2014 01:03 PM

I use c:geo on my android. works mostly... but hey, it's free! I've had much better luck taking my handheld for the coords and using the app for the info.
Haven't found anything particularly interesting, but I HAVE seen some pretty cool cache containers... a few hex bolts, a plastic fake piece of gum, fake rocks, and one hollowed out rubber rat.

sjones26573 05-05-2014 10:49 AM

I thought I lost this thread. I hit about 9 Geocaches in the State area yesterday. I forgot how enjoyable it was.

The time now is 02:57 PM.