Food Plots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Food Plots

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Food Plots

I have about 12 acres of woods I have thinned out. It is up against some pasture and then National Forest. In the cleared areas I have planted apple and pear trees and some clover.

There are turnkey and deer in my area. I want to bring them in.

Any suggestion what else to plant or do?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Indy

Soy, corn, water troughs if youre able. The protein in the soy should help antler growth and winter survival. Corn should be good feed for the birds and be tall enough to give the animals a sense of security. And youll have useable food in 1 season instead of 10 years from now. Build a tall stand on the off season so they have plenty of time to get used to it being there. After that start being selective on which animals you take.

If you really have time, build a series of stands with a tunnel system between them

One of my easiest deer hunting spots was next to a few miles of winter wheat. All it took to put meat in the freezer was a good spot and a book to read until the sun started setting.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Soy, corn, water troughs if youre able. The protein in the soy should help antler growth and winter survival. Corn should be good feed for the birds and be tall enough to give the animals a sense of security. And youll have useable food in 1 season instead of 10 years from now. Build a tall stand on the off season so they have plenty of time to get used to it being there. After that start being selective on which animals you take.

If you really have time, build a series of stands with a tunnel system between them

One of my easiest deer hunting spots was next to a few miles of winter wheat. All it took to put meat in the freezer was a good spot and a book to read until the sun started setting.
One of them plots is visible from my deck, the others not too far. My land lies so they will be ground blinds.

Can corn grow without watering it? I have tried it in a garden in the past and no luck. I have used wheat in the past. I will see the deer throughout the year but come hunting season nothing. What about chicory?
I want to make it so the animals are there all the time.
this is the view one morning out my bedroom window:

This is an over head view. The area that has been thinned to the right of my home. There is more land than the pic shows.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Indy

Run a hose out to a couple water troughs and some pole sprinklers. Corn i think is a thirsty plant. Im not exactly a farmer though.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.