food plot questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > food plot questions

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't every tried to grow food for the deer but lawdy, we seem to do it accidentally. We are in eastern Virginia (zip is 22438) and we grow corn and soybeans in the summer, winter wheat and barley in the winter, with lots of white oaks and willow oaks (acorn producers) as the hedgerows. We had a deer hunt a few years ago and 36 guys killed 70 deer on a drive. Whatever we are doing is creating a deer paradise. They sure as heck eat the beans and corn but the damage we suffer to the wheat and barley isn't as great. Something eats up the acorns in a hurry but I don't know if it's just the squirrels and turkeys. Our only wildlife food plots have lespedeza and partridge pea for quail, and the deer population boom predates those plots.

When I say "corn" I mean feed corn, the big yellow hard oil corn, not the stuff for grocery stores.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies.

With the recent snow finding tracks has been easy. The deer are coming in from where people are living not from the woods like I expected. People in my areas have ponds. When the state came through years ago to build the road they would dig land owners pounds so they could have dirt for the road. After talking to a few neighbors many do through out corn, have gardens and feed plots and actively feed the deer. The deer in my area seem to have become lazy and going for the easy meal.

My thoughts were they would come out of the less populated wooded areas but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So the plan is to have better and more year round offerings so they frequent my area more often.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
nwiTJdave

I would plant bell peppers and tomatoes. You could also consider a few vines of grapes and one or two Apple trees.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
nwiTJdave

Also, I'll have to find a good link for you, but there is a guy in Washingtonian DC with 2 acres and he plants year wide. Granted tbey have a more mild winter than you most likely, but it should be good to get some ideas from.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.