Fly Fishers GITT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fly Fishers GITT

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
DKenyon28

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fly Fishers GITT

I started last year but only got to go a couple of times. Let's hear some easy tips.

DKenyon28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Here's pretty much all I know about fly fishing:
"10 o'clock to 12 o'clock".

Other than that, I know it can be really expensive, like anything else you enjoy doing.
But it's also a blast to catch a 25 inch redfish on a 9 weight fly rod in skinny water !
I mainly use cheap ones for roll casting under Cypress tree limbs for bass....and that's only if I'm in the mood to mess with them, which isn't often.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
MountainMike426
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I started flying 2 years ago but have only been a couple times as well. My father in law got me started; he's been doing it for 25+. I HIGHLY recommend checking out North Georgia Trout Online at ngto.org. I know you're in TN but everyone there is more than happy to help out beginners. I don't know if you're close to the GA border but if you are there are people on there that will meet up with you on a stream and give you some pointers. As far as easy tips...you may have picked the wrong sport for easy tips lol. What I did to practice my casts was get a strike indicator (feathery kind not bobber style) and tie that on like a fly then go out in the yard and practice. Also, check out ORVIS.COM as they have some really good instructional videos or at least their app does. A common misconception is that you have to throw the fly really far but if you fish mountain streams like I do then most of your casts will be no more than 15 feet. Be patient and good luck. When you get one on keep the line tight!
MountainMike426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
RichieT
2014 WK 

There aren't many easy tips when it comes to fly fishing. As was said before, look into Orvis or any local clubs like trout unlimited. There are a lot of good books on fly fishing. I found the most helpful was "Reading the Water" by Dave Hughes. A fish needs protection from predators, protection from current, a steady line of food, and proper temps and oxygen. Find a place that has as many of these traits as you can and you'll have a spot that can produce consistently. Dead water behind a rock could be good, dead water in front of rock could be better. Best advice, just get out there.
RichieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Look for a lesson somewhere. I have been fly fishing for 5 or 6 years now and am ok at it. Everything I have learned has been from reading and doing. My wife has shown some interest in it now. I met a local guide in the archery shop I work at who turned me on to a Groupon deal that is a day of classroom instruction and a day on the river with a guide for $99. I signed up both myself and my wife for it. I know this will be the best option for my wife and I'm sure I will pick up some good info as well.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
lv2fish
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Find someone that gives lessons it will help with the learning curve.No matter what anyone says lesson will help.You only need 3 rods a 3wt,a5wt,& an 8wt They will cover 98% of all fishing.I have more rods than I need & only use a couple. My 3 wt is for trout & my 8wt is for bass & also works well for light saltwater.
Dennis
lv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

two books from orvis, reading the stream and fly fishing. valuable info in both books.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
bigsallysmom
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up fly fishing after retiring. Love it but I don't have many places to go because my area is semi-desert. However I go to a pay lake which doesn't have lots of trees or brush, find myself a quiet spot away from others and practice/thrash away. The water is so clear I can see the trout coming for the fly. It helps to see them clearly because I can see exactly when they decide to ignore the fly.
bigsallysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

when i started, all i did waes beat the fish in the head with the fly line.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.