Fishing thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fishing thread

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Reply
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,589
Theres still a few other ponds on the golf course I want to try.
I don't see how y'all hold the fish without them flopping around. I went to grab the first one by the bottom jaw today and right when I touched it it started flopping like crazy. I dehooked it on the ground, I didn't feel like catching a hook in the finger.

__________________
04 TJ- Short Bus

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
MyKeyB
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Caught this and one other bass today using the worms. The second one was pretty much the same size.
Nice! Please, unless you are taking them home to eat, try to keep them off the ground. It wears off their slime coat and really is not good for them. Oh, and if you are having a hard time lipping the bass, put on your damn man hands. ;-) lol.
__________________
Rust never sleeps...
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
MyKeyB
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
This is the biggest guy I've caught from our spot, though there are much bigger fish in there.
That looks like a solid 5-6 pounder to me but I suck at guessing weights on the internet.
__________________
Rust never sleeps...
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
And this is a PSA for everyone. I've always held a bass straight up and down or sideways with my second hand supporting it, but for anyone who didn't know... Save this picture.

__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
That looks like a solid 5-6 pounder to me but I suck at guessing weights on the internet.
It was definitely a solid pig. But our roommate who owns an electronic scale was out of town when we both caught the notable fish so we're forever left to lie and exaggerate their weight
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
Nice! Please, unless you are taking them home to eat, try to keep them off the ground. It wears off their slime coat and really is not good for them. Oh, and if you are having a hard time lipping the bass, put on your damn man hands. ;-) lol.
They always flop around on me too much, Don't feel like catching a hook to the hand. lol
__________________
04 TJ- Short Bus

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
They always flop around on me too much, Don't feel like catching a hook to the hand. lol
Pull it out of the water with your hand, they will always squirm until you lip them solid. Once you get a solid lip they aren't going anywhere. I've lost a few fish by pulling them out of the water by just the line. I'm in no way shape or form a solid fisherman. Fishing is a huge trial and error experience. Luckily all my friends have been fishing for longer than I have. Learned basically everything I know from them. And it's panned out pretty awesome.
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
MyKeyB
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
My buddy caught this guy about 10 mins after I got mine about 10 yards away from me

Good healthy fish.
That fish looks like it should weigh a lot more. Big old head and a skinny body. Was it caught in the spring? Maybe a female that just spawned out? Still another good looking bass.
__________________
Rust never sleeps...
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
That fish looks like it should weigh a lot more. Big old head and a skinny body. Was it caught in the spring? Maybe a female that just spawned out? Still another good looking bass.
May 24. Mid afternoon. During bedding. This is the pond we fish.
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
Pull it out of the water with your hand, they will always squirm until you lip them solid. Once you get a solid lip they aren't going anywhere. I've lost a few fish by pulling them out of the water by just the line. I'm in no way shape or form a solid fisherman. Fishing is a huge trial and error experience. Luckily all my friends have been fishing for longer than I have. Learned basically everything I know from them. And it's panned out pretty awesome.
I'll just grab 'em and hope I don't get hooked. Seen a guy that had gotten hooked in the finger after grabbing a fish, fish was still on the hook and flopped around and ****ed his finger up. That's probably why I'm not a fan of grabbing them while still hooked. I dislike the slime too, it feels like how a snake looks like it should feel. It doesn't bother me, I just dislike it. lol
__________________
04 TJ- Short Bus

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Also I think the way my friend was holding the fish made it look skinnier.
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #27
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'll just grab 'em and hope I don't get hooked. Seen a guy that had gotten hooked in the finger after grabbing a fish, fish was still on the hook and flopped around and ****ed his finger up. That's probably why I'm not a fan of grabbing them while still hooked. I dislike the slime too, it feels like how a snake looks like it should feel. It doesn't bother me, I just dislike it. lol
If you make a quick move to their mouth it shouldn't be an issue. I hate blue gill and especially cats. Cats feel like a huge piece of snot. And I inevitably am poked by blue gill. But bass can't hurt ya.
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
May 24. Mid afternoon. During bedding. This is the pond we fish.
Wish I had a nice pond like that to fish in. I gotta fish at the gold course in the country club.....that I don't even live in. lol Theres a power line trail going from the back of my neighborhood to the back of the golf course where my current spot is that I just walk to.
**** those yuppies, then probably never fish there. lol
__________________
04 TJ- Short Bus

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #29
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Wish I had a nice pond like that to fish in. I gotta fish at the gold course in the country club.....that I don't even live in. lol Theres a power line trail going from the back of my neighborhood to the back of the golf course where my current spot is that I just walk to.
**** those yuppies, then probably never fish there. lol
We found the pond and no one in the neighborhood cares that we fish there. It's literally in the middle of farmland. We always have people that live on the pond ask us if we're catching anything and they often feed the fish. We got lucky. No one ever bothers us. Good people around here.
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
If you make a quick move to their mouth it shouldn't be an issue. I hate blue gill and especially cats. Cats feel like a huge piece of snot. And I inevitably am poked by blue gill. But bass can't hurt ya.
I ALWAYS get jabbed by blue gill and the fins on cat fish. No matter what I tried they always slipped out of my hand and jabbed me.
Salt water catfish are the worst. One of their whiskers gets ya that spot will swell up to the size of a golf ball in a matter or minutes.
__________________
04 TJ- Short Bus

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.