Fishing thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fishing thread

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fishing thread

Haven't seen one, so I figure I'd start one. Here you can share tips and tricks and your favorite bait/lures.
I've always loved fishing and since becoming unemployed recently I've been going fishing a lot more. lol
Been trying to catch some bass but nothing is working. Just picked up a new chartreuse 1.5 crank bait and some plastic powerbait worms and crawfish to try those. Haven't gotten to try my spinner bait or any of the plastics in the pond yet but I got no bites on the crank bait.

Share some tips and technique to help rather novice fishers like me.

Some of my tips, for fresh water bluegill the love cheese, cheddar or american and cat fish love cut up blue gill/brim. lol
For salt water spanish mackerel love live shrimp or glass minnows, line set at 10-15' down trolling at 2-4mph. If you find a school of 'em you will catch 'em left and right doing that.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I have to use

I texas rig the plastics.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

when i am fishin in small creeks(wade fishing) or ponds i use a rebel crickhopper. the yellow works the best. about anything will hit those. if i am goin after perch, i will use a leland's trout worm. i get the smallest hook i can find, tear off a piece of worm about twice as long as the hook and the smallest split-shot about 6" above the hook. you can catch perch all day long with those, then use the perch for gar or catfish.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm mainly bass. Ugly stik rod and a Pfleuger presidente reel. I use a lot of spinners/rattletraps and buzz baits. I'll have to change the way I fish since the lake we just moved to is hugely different than the small ones I used to fish on in md.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Plastics never fail me. Always fall back to them.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I'm mainly bass. Ugly stik rod and a Pfleuger presidente reel. I use a lot of spinners/rattletraps and buzz baits. I'll have to change the way I fish since the lake we just moved to is hugely different than the small ones I used to fish on in md.
Ugly stik is the rod I'm using with an ugly reel. Its kind of a ****ty reel but it does all right. Its either that or some shakespeare rod and reel combo I bought at walmart. I haven't tried my spinner yet in the new pond I'm going to. First time I've fished this pond. Didn't catch anything except some looks from the golfers. I don't know if they know that I don't live in that country club...but they haven't questioned me yet. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
Plastics never fail me. Always fall back to them.
I'll be trying them tomorrow.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Get to using a white spinnerbait with a chartruese grub as a trailer or a 3.5" chartruese or salt and pepper grub on a ball head jig. You will catch a bass. Worst case senerio use a Senko type worm.

Join bass resource. Its like jeep forum but for bass fishing. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know.
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
Get to using a white spinnerbait with a chartruese grub as a trailer or a 3.5" chartruese or salt and pepper grub on a ball head jig. You will catch a bass. Worst case senerio use a Senko type worm.

Join bass resource. Its like jeep forum but for bass fishing. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know.
Quite a few people have been saying that. I think I might have to give it a try.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For the foreseeable future, I don't see myself using a baitcaster. Don't have the patience to deal with the inevitable bird nests and frankly I just don't need one for the fishing I do. Spinner's will be it for quite a while.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
For the foreseeable future, I don't see myself using a baitcaster. Don't have the patience to deal with the inevitable bird nests and frankly I just don't need one for the fishing I do. Spinner's will be it for quite a while.
Can't stand baitcasters. Only fished with them a few times and hated it. Spinners are basically maintenance free.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spinners are pretty much the only reel I will buy.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

IF nothing is biting under the water try a topwater bait like a buzzbait or a popper. My goto is a Rebel Pop-R in Foxy Blue color (its blue/silver/gold/red holographic). Cast close to where you think the fish will be, let sit for 8/10 seconds then twitch the bait so it make the pop sound: usually this is when the water erupts with a bass on the line. If not, give it a few more twitches in the same cadence b/c one might be coming from farther away. Also mix up your cadence from time to time, but slow/long pauses are best. For plastics, I will texas rig/carolina rig (depending on the weed cover in the water) with or without weight. I like to use worms that have a squiggly tail or arms like a gulp! lizard, if they dont have a tail (like a senko) and nothings biting I will usually take my knife and cut the senko in half for about three inches long at the back to give it a bit more action.
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Caught this and one other bass today using the worms. The second one was pretty much the same size.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I got 5 yesterday about the same size. Heading out at 630 am tomorrow to go for the lunkers. This is the biggest guy I've caught from our spot, though there are much bigger fish in there. Excuse the neck beard, this was during the Hawks Stanley Cup run. Love live the playoff Neard

Unread 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My buddy caught this guy about 10 mins after I got mine about 10 yards away from me

Good healthy fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.