Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fishing thread

5K views 67 replies 10 participants last post by  Budke 
#1 ·
Haven't seen one, so I figure I'd start one. Here you can share tips and tricks and your favorite bait/lures.
I've always loved fishing and since becoming unemployed recently I've been going fishing a lot more. lol
Been trying to catch some bass but nothing is working. Just picked up a new chartreuse 1.5 crank bait and some plastic powerbait worms and crawfish to try those. Haven't gotten to try my spinner bait or any of the plastics in the pond yet but I got no bites on the crank bait.

Share some tips and technique to help rather novice fishers like me.

Some of my tips, for fresh water bluegill the love cheese, cheddar or american and cat fish love cut up blue gill/brim. lol
For salt water spanish mackerel love live shrimp or glass minnows, line set at 10-15' down trolling at 2-4mph. If you find a school of 'em you will catch 'em left and right doing that.

#3 ·
when i am fishin in small creeks(wade fishing) or ponds i use a rebel crickhopper. the yellow works the best. about anything will hit those. if i am goin after perch, i will use a leland's trout worm. i get the smallest hook i can find, tear off a piece of worm about twice as long as the hook and the smallest split-shot about 6" above the hook. you can catch perch all day long with those, then use the perch for gar or catfish.

#6 ·
Ugly stik is the rod I'm using with an ugly reel. Its kind of a ****ty reel but it does all right. Its either that or some shakespeare rod and reel combo I bought at walmart. I haven't tried my spinner yet in the new pond I'm going to. First time I've fished this pond. Didn't catch anything except some looks from the golfers. I don't know if they know that I don't live in that country club...but they haven't questioned me yet. lol

Plastics never fail me. Always fall back to them.
I'll be trying them tomorrow.

#5 ·
Plastics never fail me. Always fall back to them.

#7 ·
Get to using a white spinnerbait with a chartruese grub as a trailer or a 3.5" chartruese or salt and pepper grub on a ball head jig. You will catch a bass. Worst case senerio use a Senko type worm.

Join bass resource. Its like jeep forum but for bass fishing. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know.

#9 ·
For the foreseeable future, I don't see myself using a baitcaster. Don't have the patience to deal with the inevitable bird nests and frankly I just don't need one for the fishing I do. Spinner's will be it for quite a while.

#12 ·
IF nothing is biting under the water try a topwater bait like a buzzbait or a popper. My goto is a Rebel Pop-R in Foxy Blue color (its blue/silver/gold/red holographic). Cast close to where you think the fish will be, let sit for 8/10 seconds then twitch the bait so it make the pop sound: usually this is when the water erupts with a bass on the line. If not, give it a few more twitches in the same cadence b/c one might be coming from farther away. Also mix up your cadence from time to time, but slow/long pauses are best. For plastics, I will texas rig/carolina rig (depending on the weed cover in the water) with or without weight. I like to use worms that have a squiggly tail or arms like a gulp! lizard, if they dont have a tail (like a senko) and nothings biting I will usually take my knife and cut the senko in half for about three inches long at the back to give it a bit more action.

#17 ·
Caught this and one other bass today using the worms. The second one was pretty much the same size.
Nice! Please, unless you are taking them home to eat, try to keep them off the ground. It wears off their slime coat and really is not good for them. Oh, and if you are having a hard time lipping the bass, put on your damn man hands. ;-) lol.

#14 ·
Nice. I got 5 yesterday about the same size. Heading out at 630 am tomorrow to go for the lunkers. This is the biggest guy I've caught from our spot, though there are much bigger fish in there. Excuse the neck beard, this was during the Hawks Stanley Cup run. Love live the playoff Neard :laugh:

#15 ·
My buddy caught this guy about 10 mins after I got mine about 10 yards away from me

Good healthy fish.

#16 ·
Theres still a few other ponds on the golf course I want to try.
I don't see how y'all hold the fish without them flopping around. I went to grab the first one by the bottom jaw today and right when I touched it it started flopping like crazy. I dehooked it on the ground, I didn't feel like catching a hook in the finger.

#19 ·
And this is a PSA for everyone. I've always held a bass straight up and down or sideways with my second hand supporting it, but for anyone who didn't know... Save this picture.

#26 ·
Also I think the way my friend was holding the fish made it look skinnier.

#34 ·
Golf course ponds can be some of the best ponds to fish in. I've heard people say that all the fertilizer and chemicals they use make the fish into monsters. Also because the fishing pressure is usually low, it should make the fish easier to catch. Hell, the best spot I know of is a maybe 20 x 60 foot pool where two creeks meet at the top of a small lake. Most unassuming spot ever. I have never been skunked there and pulled out my personel best from there. A solid 5-6 pound fish like the one posted. I'll see if I have any pics. still and try to get them posted up soon.

#35 ·
I'm sure if I fished most of the courses I play at I'd be reeling in hogs. But golf is my other passion so I respect the wishes of the clubs, even though it may mean missing out on a lunker.

#37 ·
Same fish

"You sure got a purdy mouth" :rofl:

#40 ·
Sorry to break it to ya, but that is not an 8-10 lb bass :laugh:

#43 ·
A 10 lb bass is a ****ing HOG. That's a sweet fish, but that's no pig lol.

#45 ·
You can get an analog scale from bass pro for like 10$. My friends digital scale was like 18$.

#46 ·
If I catch a 10lb bass I am 100% getting a mount of that mother ****er.

#49 ·
Well now we've started a totally different debate.

Id say that fish you had was the better part of 3.5-4.5 lbs.

#56 ·
That's why the bass pro by my house has a large sign outside that states "Welcome hunters, fishermen, and all other liars".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.