Fishing Q & A - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fishing Q & A

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
^ No industrial complex nearby. IDK what was going on, but it was a two day warm snap (went from being consistently 50-60 to 85 degrees) so that could be the thing. This lake is usually great for bass, pickerel, and panfish from the shore.. but if it is turn over then that would make sense that all the fish moved deeper and out of reach
Which lake do you go to?

Unread 04-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #32
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Turkey Swamp in Freehold
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #33
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you are lucky at a very shallow, small pond...the water temp will take weeks to change, not two days regardless of how hot it gets outside. If anything, two days of warm temps might trigger the fish's metabolism and cause them to start moving around a bit more(I would think, anyway). How large is the lake you fished? Sometimes its just an off day no matter what you throw at them or where you go.

Did you throw any cranks? They may still be a little deeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #34
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The lake is large but has large shallow sections (where I was) that are about 2-4 feet deep. I wasn't throwing any cranks b/c i didn't have any with me that were not too big for the rod I was using (ugly stik ultralight).
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #35
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

TexJas, you can always start out old school like I and many others here did as a kid .

There is really great fun to be had catching a fish on a cane pole or even better the extending fiberglass ones to be had now a days .

Then get a Zebco 202 or 404 maybe too .

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-202-...Reels/16935171

I own other rods and reels now that cost more but I still own both of the above and love to use them .

I love Bream/Sun/Pan fishing or even Bass and Cat fishing fishing with them .

It is really great fun catching something on a light weight pole and is a real challenge .

Give me a big Bream on a cane type pole and I am in bigtime Heaven .

You don't have to spend alot to have a blast .

And you don't need any fancy/smancy lures, just weight,bait and a bobber .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #36
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question:

I found a Penn 550SS at a thrift store in great condition. It was $5 so I picked it up. Now I'm looking for a rod to go with it. I'm looking to use it for catfish and maybe try my hand at striped bass. I already have my ultra light, and bait casting set up so this would be my heavier duty set up. I want to keep it under $80. I'm not looking for anything intense, just something I can use around the Bay Area and delta.
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #37
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicalibro3 View Post
I have a question:

I found a Penn 550SS at a thrift store in great condition. It was $5 so I picked it up. Now I'm looking for a rod to go with it. I'm looking to use it for catfish and maybe try my hand at striped bass. I already have my ultra light, and bait casting set up so this would be my heavier duty set up. I want to keep it under $80. I'm not looking for anything intense, just something I can use around the Bay Area and delta.
look for a rod in the 7-8 foot range. look for a medium heavy. thats what i use for catfishing. and for catfishing you dont need a real expensive/sensitive rod. so even an ugly stick would work just great!
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. That's what I was thinking. I looked at a few rods today and it seemed that 7'-8' were right on.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

But would that also work for pier fishing?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.