Fishing Q & A - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fishing Q & A

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!

I just moved to the Houston/Galveston area and I'm hoping to pick up fishing sometime in the coming year, so consider me tuned in!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've been holding on to a bass secret for a few years now and ill share it here.

If you can find them. Scum frogs are the best. Cheap, easy to cast and don't slam and splash like a lot of top water. Soft plastic. Easy hook set and again, they're cheap.

They work like you wouldn't believe. They can't resist. I've even had frogs attack them lol.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
I've been holding on to a bass secret for a few years now and ill share it here.

If you can find them. Scum frogs are the best. Cheap, easy to cast and don't slam and splash like a lot of top water. Soft plastic. Easy hook set and again, they're cheap.

They work like you wouldn't believe. They can't resist. I've even had frogs attack them lol.
they sound pretty gimikee
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKosel

they sound pretty gimikee
That's what I thought. They even look cheap. But they work great. They hit the water softly and don't spook the fish
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^ I have a couple I'll have to try out next time it's warm enough for topwater, I usually just use a plug that rattles when you pop it
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122
^ I have a couple I'll have to try out next time it's warm enough for topwater, I usually just use a plug that rattles when you pop it
The only problem you'll have is you'll catch so many bass that you'll go through a couple lures in a day. The body of the frog will slide on the hook. But it's on a hinge so the hooks don't warp and bend it takes a lot for that to happen. The body will slide. Just slide back over the hooks and it will take in a little water. Give it a quick squeeze before casting it out.

I've used it on baitcast and spinning and its equally successful on either. We have pike and Muskie and I've had both go after these frogs. Watching a Muskie explode the surface for one of these is prob the most rewarding moment when fishing top water. Muskie will do a number on these and because its top water avoid leaders.

I've also used and have many "fancy" hardbody top water and have had more action using the scum frog. The soft plastic truly provides a way better hook set compared to hardbody. The downside is the bass usually want them so bad they inhale them. 8 times out of 10 the hooked will be firmly set in the roof of the mouth however and makes it easy to remove hooks and less harm to the fish. Very rarely do I get tongue or hooks through the eyes on bass using this lure
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
jeepmonkey06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use to think I knew how to fish. Last year was bad. Didn't catch a thing. What about the speed/technique of reeling in?
jeepmonkey06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmonkey06
I use to think I knew how to fish. Last year was bad. Didn't catch a thing. What about the speed/technique of reeling in?
Are you refereeing to top water? If do what I do is a quick pull like a frog push. Tighten line and repeat. Make sure there is never slack in your line or else the hook set will be useless and can break your line if you have a decent fish. Or break your rod tip if its really big fish.

With swimming lures depends on weather. I it's cloudy cold a slower retrieve will do best or live bait. A methodical retrieve with a crank bait or suspending Rapala lure will work as you can slow it down and pause giving the fish a second to think about it.

Those warm high activity days a faster retrieve will yield more fish and minimizing the time for them to think about it. This works well for Muskie because they can be aggressive some days and some days they will follow the lure right up to the boat. In that instance have a jig and grub ready to go and put your other lure away. Drop the grub and jig away. They love to sit under boats. Or use your current lure and do a figure eight with it or swish it around side to side. When these fish are on they can be really aggressive and hit anything.
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
DW88
1996 ZJ 

My all time fav lure is the plastic worm. I know thats pretty cliche, but its extremely versatile. Ive caught bass, trout , panfish, pike, bowfin, and even some small catfish with a plastic worm. U can rig it wacky, texas, carolina, or jus modify it for the enviroment ur fishing. I like to rig it wacky and twitch it back at a moderate speed for pike. For bass the texas rig, weightless, and crawl it slowly over some lily pads or grass.BAM! Propeller baits can coax out some awsome strikes as well.
DW88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

I live in NYC and prefer lake/river fishing. I only started last summer so still a beginner. We usually go out to fish on long island. I have never caught a bass, but would really love to. My question is what time does the fish "wake up". Does it depend on water temperature or something else. If any of you guys are in the area where do you usually go? I would not mind traveling upstate either. Well, within 1-2 hours...
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
DW88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
I live in NYC and prefer lake/river fishing. I only started last summer so still a beginner. We usually go out to fish on long island. I have never caught a bass, but would really love to. My question is what time does the fish "wake up". Does it depend on water temperature or something else. If any of you guys are in the area where do you usually go? I would not mind traveling upstate either. Well, within 1-2 hours...
Dont know anything about that area but as far as the fish "waking up" there really isnt any specific time. nightfishing can be productive in the summer. water temp does play a major part though. For largemouth the prime water temp is 55-65 degrees, right around 65 they start spawming and you wont catch em again until they bed, if u bed fish ( us hardcore catch and release guys dont because it can be bad for the repopulation of the species, although that is controversial). The best temp for smallmouth is between 50-60 degrees, they spawn around 60. thats if ur tryin to fish the pre spawn, which is the best time. Otherwise hit the post spawn which is also very productive. When summer hits and it starts gettin hot try some noisy topwaters after sunset. When the water starts warmin up after winter the fish move shallow a little at a time, so jus get a worm or some crankbaits or jerkbaits and try different levels to see where they r holding at that time. Patience and persistence r the main keys to success. Have faith in ur lure and let us know how u do. Use the tecnique i decribed above and wacky rig a worm with a light splitshot about 15" up the line. Cast it out around cover and let it sink, that way u cover all depth levels. Bass usually pick it up on the fall, so watch ur line for movement and give it enough time to hit the bottom. Good luck and let us know once u get that first bass! ull prob be hooked for life
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any tips for when the water is really warm? I went yesterday and had no luck with topwater, finess worms, creature worms, spinnerbaits, spoons, inline spinners... fast, slow, all layers of water....Absolutely nothing in a lake where I've caught loads of nice bass, saw two huge dead catfish floating thats how warm the water is.
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

I dont think water was really warm yesterday. I mean yeah it was hot all day long but I would suspect that only the top of the water is warm... Not the rest...
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
DW88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
Any tips for when the water is really warm? I went yesterday and had no luck with topwater, finess worms, creature worms, spinnerbaits, spoons, inline spinners... fast, slow, all layers of water....Absolutely nothing in a lake where I've caught loads of nice bass, saw two huge dead catfish floating thats how warm the water is.
Alot of different things could be at play here. If u saw dead catfish that is never a good sign. Catfish r one of the most hardy freshwater species. There may have been a contamination of the lake. Are there an industrial complex nearby? Sometimes chemical run off can turn a lake into **** for fishing. I know a lake nearby me that was awsome for fishin about 10yrs ago, then alot of houses went up around it and all the fertilizer and crap they were puttin on their lawns kept washing into the lake. Now u cant catch a single fish out of that lake. But aside from the dead catfish, which most likely will not die do to heat, ur lake may be experiencing turnover. That is when the temp change of the different water layers causes the surface to "sink" or "turn over". This is due to waters unique density characteristics and sometimes it creates a not so good environment for fishing. But as far as warmer water techniques in general, fish in the shade or as deep as possible once the whole lake heats up. The colder the water is the higher concentration of oxygen that can dissolve in it, so that is where the fish will be.

Last edited by DW88; 04-12-2013 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: error
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^ No industrial complex nearby. IDK what was going on, but it was a two day warm snap (went from being consistently 50-60 to 85 degrees) so that could be the thing. This lake is usually great for bass, pickerel, and panfish from the shore.. but if it is turn over then that would make sense that all the fish moved deeper and out of reach

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.