Fishing Q & A - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Fishing Q & A

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Fishing Q & A

Well I thought since fishing season is coming up. I thought it would be good to start a general to in depth question and answer thread. So shoot away!

Unread 03-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
TeXJas
2004 WJ 

I'm new to fishing and don't know what type of rod or reel to get?
TeXJas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJas View Post
I'm new to fishing and don't know what type of rod or reel to get?
ok. Well it all depends on what you are fishing, how you are fishing, and where you are fishing. So what are you fishing? Also what are you fishing with, bobbers, spinners, jigs, ect... also, what is your price range?

-Mitch
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
TeXJas
2004 WJ 

I guess I should've stated that when I asked. I assuming bass, crappie and or catfish. I have no idea what kind is lures or bait to use and my budget is around $50-$100. I've never been fishing before, but I'm an avid bow hunter (fishing always seemed boring to me). I also forgot to add that it will be from a boat.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Get a rod and reel combo such as an Ugly Stick combo from Dicks (I think the one I got was $60), but there are cheaper combos (I've seen decent combos for around 30-40). Bass from a boat, I would say around 6 ft medium light/ medium pole spinner/baitcast reel (depending on what you like). I use a 5ft but fish from a kayak so my 6ft 6 tends to be too bulky. I've found that crappy love spinnerbaits (gold/green/black/silver) or beatlebaits (looks like a spinner but has a grub beneath the spinner). And once you find a group of crappie, keep fishing that spot because they will keep hitting every time you cast. Bass is a whole different world, you can use a spinner, grub, popper, stick, crank, worm, creature or just plain worms depending on the situation. My personal favorite is fishing topwater with a popper/stick bait.
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
TeXJas
2004 WJ 

Thanks man!
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What all will you be fishing for? I fish a lot of northern, walleye, trout, and perch...with some smallies and buckets mixed in here and there.

Along the lines of what bmxer said about fishing top water...its a rush when a big bucketmouth hits a buzzbait or frog up on top! However, when a good sized northern snatches a crank or spinner and rips the other way with it...hold on for a ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Bass.
Mediun-Medium Heavy rod. (i preffer 7 footers)
Baitcasters or Spinning reels both work.
20# test Braid

Now as far as lures go. Bass like noise, so try spinnerbaits and crankbaits with a good rattle. Also Bass love worms, so try worms that have salt in them. These work the best. Plastic frogs and lizards work also. Most importantly, figure out what the bass are eating where you are fishing. For example, are there a lot of shad where you fish, crawfish etc. Once you figure out what the bass are naturally feeding on, it's a matter of finding the right colors, depth and retrieve for that natural look that will trigger the bass bite.

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Crappie:
Medium Light-Medium rod. i use a 7'6" (medium light.)
Spinning reel. its hard to cast light baits with a baitcaster
6-8# test line. i use the super thin nano fil. or fireline fused, or crystal works too

Crappie are versatile feeders, eating most types of insects, worms, and small crayfish and minnows. This variety of forage makes choosing baits for crappie fairly simple. Crappie are especially famous for being color picky. Simply switching from a green jig to a yellow one can make the difference between a few bites and a stringer of slabs.
Change baits completely. If you have been using minnows all day and have caught no fish, try switching to a small spinner or jig. The fish could want something with more or less action than your bait produces, so you must experiment until you find what they want. Most baits will catch plenty of fish provided they are presented to the fish in the right way at the right time. That means choosing a lure is about 50% trial-and-error and 50% your preference. Though minnows and worms are often very effective for catching crappie, I rarely use them because of their cost and/or effort to catch them. The three types of lures that I use most and I recommend to all crappie anglers are:

1. Maribou Jigs- These are the small jigs that have little furry bodies and puffy, feathery tails. They come in many sizes and tons of colors,are very durable, and are fairly cheap to buy (I catch them on sale at Wal-Mart for $.25 for a four-pack). They can also be easily made at home with some yarn and pipe cleaners. These jigs are perfect for finesse fishing picky crappie, vertical jigging over structure, or suspending under a bobber. I prefer a 1/16 or 1/32 oz. jig. When choosing a color, I follow the table below.

2. Curly-tail Grubs- These are the soft plastic baits that have curly tails on the back that produce lots of action when jigged or retrieved steadily. They come in many sizes, but I like a 1 1/2"- 2 1/2" grub for crappie. Rig them with a 1/8- 1/64 oz. jig head, depending on conditions and preference. Follow chart below to choose a color.

3. Spinners- These are my personal favorite lures to use when crappie fishing. This is because they are very versatile, effective, and fairly weedless. When I say versatile, I mean you never know just what you are going to catch on them. The spinners I use and have the best results with are the smallest sized ones I can find. The 1/16 oz. Beetle Spin is the perfect size. Wal-Mart caries several sizes of the individual spinners, but the absolute smallest ones are the best. I have also found that gold blades seem to produce slightly more strikes than the normal silver. I strongly recommend trying the tiny gold blades the next time you are on the water. Here is a breakdown of the types of spinners I use:

A. Small Willow Leaf Blade- This is a very effective type of blade and seems to work well on most species. Try rigging it with a 2" tube bait or curly tail.

B. Small Silver Colorado (circular) Blade- This blade type produces a lot of vibrations and can be fished very slowly. Rig with 2" tube bait or, for even more action, add a curly tail to it. This combo is great for very stained, dark water.

C. Small Gold Blade- My Favorite! A tiny, gold, Colorado blade with a 1/32 oz. jig head and a hot-colored, 2" tube bait is a dynamite lure for nearly any freshwater species. I suggest going to Wal-Mart and picking up a 2-pack of these tiny gold spinners. You will be glad you did!

D. Beetle Spin- These come in tons of colors, sizes, and brands, but they have never let me down. The 1/8 and 1/16 oz. sizes are perfect for crappie as well as other fish. They are also a good choice.

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Catfish:
Medium Heavy-Heavy (7'+)
Baitcast or Spinning (you will get allot more power from a baitcaster. and its easier to use heavier line with one)
70# test power pro high vis line. (rivers have some monster cats...and big snags.

As far as getting em goes. its super simple. go to your river, throw in, and let it sit. i cannot stress that part enough...LET IT SIT. dont mess with the rod. just put it in a rod holder and leave it. Now your setups are going to vary. Now in general you are going to need 2-3oz weights depending on how fast the current is. you want to stay in one spot. you will want to use circle hooks because it takes all of the guess work out of the picture. all you do when the fish bites is pick up the rod, DO NOT SET THE HOOK!!! Just wait for the rod to double over. and by then the fish will be hooked. As far as bait goes, my favorite catfish bait is chicken liver mixed with garlic salt. it is potent stuff, but it brings in the cats. Or you can try cut bait like goldeye or smelt. Catfish arent that picky. Stay away from those goofy catfish baits at sportinggoods stores...thoose are crap and dont catch. the bottom line is, cutbait, liver/hearts, frogs, or if you can get em live smelt.

1. 3-Way Rig. one of the most heavly used, and very effective. i think 50# mono is a little extreme for a leader. I use 30# mono for leaders.

2. Slip weight rig. on this one. the weight (2-3 oz) is going to be on your main line, allowing it to slip. this is my favorite method.
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Choosing Colors

Choosing Colors

Here is something to go by:

Clear Water: In clear and lightly stained waters, the most important thing to remember is to match the natural food items. When fishing with a minnow type lure, such as a tube bait or a shad shaped lure, try to use natural looking colors such as silver, smoke, gray, etc. When jigging near or on the bottom, try using browns or dark greens.

Dark/ Stained Water: In stained or muddy waters, the keys to attracting strikes are vibration and brightness. Because dark water filters out much of the sunlight, often the best fishing is during mid-day or bright sunlight times. The fish can see better with more light penetrating. Vibrations also thoroughly help fish to find forage in dark water, so a lure that produces these is usually a plus. Spinners, grubs, and jigs that are kept moving are usually good choices. Choose bright colors! Try using chartreusse, hot pink, white, yellow, hot green, etc. Sparkles are also good.

Cloudy Days: Cloudy, overcast days limit the amount of sunlight that reaches the fish. Try using colors that are slightly darker than you would normally use. Browns, greens, and even black are good colors to try on cloudy days. The fish seen to pick up the combination of light and dark very well. I also use a small gold spinner with this grub.

Bright Sunlight: Sunny days are usually fairly simple days to choose a lure color. Try the brightest color you have first. Chartreusse, white, yellow, and hot pinks and greens are favorites of mine. Try small silver or gold spinners to produce extra flash as well.

Night Fishing: fishing at night is quite productive, try jet black lures, or combinations of black and other colors.
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKosel View Post
Night Fishing: fishing at night is quite productive, try jet black lures, or combinations of black and other colors.
Ever tried a big black buzzbait for bass in the real late evening?
Quote:
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a question.

I sold my boat and love fishing. Does that make me an idiot? Reading this thread is depressing me. Stupid responsibilities.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not at all. I've caught more bucket mouths from dry land than on a boat!
Quote:
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^ Fishing for bass from land requires some more planning on your spot than from a boat. Most of the time I fish from the shore, sometimes the best spots are off the beaten path. Look for coves/isolated sections where there isn't a lot of foot activity, approach quietly, and you should be able to get some fish
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.