First Handgun Advice! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > First Handgun Advice!

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #76
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Oh i forgot to say watch for reloads. I had one jamming in my barrel and the second round went right on top of it! Luckily nithing happened to me. Could have been nasty. What i learned from that: Glocks dont like reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Your reloads or somebody else's? Myself, I would never shoot somebody else’s reloads. Unless I knew them personally.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #77
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Somebody else's reloads. My neighbors son brought them. I think he purchased them at a gun store. I am done feeding my GLOCK reloads...
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #78
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Somebody else's reloads. My neighbors son brought them. I think he purchased them at a gun store. I am done feeding my GLOCK reloads...
I know PLENTY of people who reload for their glocks and have no problems. All in 9mm, .40 and .45acp.
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #79
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Get the Kimber. I own five Colt 1911's. I carry the Kimber.

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #80
JeepinDean
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2

The Ruger might be a great gun, but damn it's ugly IMHO.

I really like the Kimber Rimfire Targets, but I can't see paying $800+ for a .22 Pistol
Ditto on that particular Ruger!

I have 3 revolvers and 2 semi-auto pistols, and they are all fun to shoot. They are in 22LR, 38 spec, 357, and a S&W M&P 40c which comes with a 10 round mag, but I live in one of the gun-friendliest places on the planet so I have some larger mags for it too. I had previously shot a friend's Glock 22 and I didn't like the trigger on my M&P 40c as well as his Glock trigger so I did a trigger job on it and now it's a smooth 5# pull just like my friend's Glock. I have shot about 1500 rounds through it and I think I have had one fail to feed and 0 fail to fire. As my friend Johnny says, it goes bang whenever I pull the trigger. I also got the Crimson Trace laser grip on it which is awesome. I think you will be very happy with your M&P9, but if you are looking for the fun factor AND an increase in utility for home defense or concealed carry defense, I recommend the laser grip. You get on target FAST and from practically any position or predicament you find yourself in. I carry the M&P part of the time, and a S&W Airweight model 442 in .38 special part of the time. That one comes with a 12# DA trigger, but I did a trigger job on that too do now it's at 9#. Frankly that one isn't what I would call "fun" to shoot, but it is great to carry and it requires practice if you want to hit something with it. I agree that you should get a 22 also. I love my Colt 1911 replica in .22LR made by Umarex. Don't stress too much about making the perfect choice. Just pick one you like and then every 3-5 months, buy another one!
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #81
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

After about 6 months of waiting, I did finally get the matching S&W M&P 9mm to go with the S&W M&P 22... I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but hope to hit the range this weekend!

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #82
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I bought myself an m&p 40. Why did u have to wait 6 months? I love living in the south. No rules.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #83
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I bought myself an m&p 40. Why did u have to wait 6 months? I love living in the south. No rules.
The 6 month wait was just because nobody could get the California Approved version (10 Rd) of this gun due to shortages... I put a deposit on one last Dec. at one local gun shop, Waited and Waited, called every other shop within a 100 miles every few weeks and nobody was getting any of the CA versions... I finally found this one back east (South Carolina I think) on GunBroker, had it shipped to my local guy and went and picked it up.

We have a 10 day waiting period once you've paid for the gun, filled out the DOJ paperwork, etc before you can pick up the gun.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #84
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
The 6 month wait was just because nobody could get the California Approved version (10 Rd) of this gun due to shortages... I put a deposit on one last Dec. at one local gun shop, Waited and Waited, called every other shop within a 100 miles every few weeks and nobody was getting any of the CA versions... I finally found this one back east (South Carolina I think) on GunBroker, had it shipped to my local guy and went and picked it up.

We have a 10 day waiting period once you've paid for the gun, filled out the DOJ paperwork, etc before you can pick up the gun.
What a hassle. Glad I live in a state where it's easy to buy a gun. Anyway, enjoy it and stock up on ammo. That will be the next thing they will hassle you about.
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #85
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post

What a hassle. Glad I live in a state where it's easy to buy a gun. Anyway, enjoy it and stock up on ammo. That will be the next thing they will hassle you about.
Ammo is a hassle already when/if you can find any to buy. The politicians here are working to make it much worse. I have been able to squirrel away "some" over the past 6 months so hopefully will hold me over for a bit. 8-)
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #86
Indy

Laser grips are 'tarded.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #87
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

indy, what makes you say that? I have a Ruger LCP and it has a crimson trace laser. Considering this gun is not intended to be a target gun, the laser lets me put the gun on target quickly and accurately. For a short barrel point and shoot gun, a laser is not a bad idea.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #88
Indy

Lasers are slower to use than no sights at typical sd ranges, assuming you are in any way familiar with the pistol. Natural poa happens instantly without your brain having to look for a dot on the target. In a panicky type situation you tend to rely on instinct, which is based on learned body behavior. If that instinct is to look for a dot there is the possibility that if the dot isnt visible the trigger will never be pulled. The dot may not be there for a variety of reasons. Maybe its daylight, maybe the battery is dead, maybe the switch is off, maybe (most likely) that everything is happening waaaaaaaaay too fast. You dont want to be found dead with a handful of empty brass (old fbi shooting reference, all the good guys died because of what their brain was trained to do instead of fight). Ive been in a lot of fights(hundreds) fortunately only a handful that were life and death. Unless you spend a LOT of time in those situations i promise that its incredibly hard to make your brain work, 99% of the time your going on automatic, and a glitch in what you expect can shut you down.

Training on paper WILL NOT do more than build muscle memory and build instinct.

So a pocket pistol/true sd pistol is intended to be used as true sd. Sd situations usually happen at literally arms length. You can boop the nose of the guy trying to kill you. If you spend a millisecond looking for a dot when you should be fighting, odds are you will lose the fight. If the situation calls for puling the trigger, losing the fight means you die. Then your kids die, your wife hopefully dies before the raping begins etc etc (intentionally choosing bad images here). Point being, there is a reason lots of pocket pistols (lcp, tcp etc) have rudimentary sites, theyre pointless. Point your hand at the badguys chest and make some noise. This is a bad time to be relying on pretty lights that may not be there.

At longer ranges i suppose someone may be dissuaded by the red light, but really anyone who is spooked by that isnt looking for a fight anyways. But at longer ranges you want to be really familiar with the ballistics and trajectory of the 380. I have one as well so ive spent some range time with the little guy.

Lasers are fun, lasers are pretty, lasers are 'tarded

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.