First Handgun Advice! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > First Handgun Advice!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
rrent
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 126
I like revolvers - if you want a few more rounds I'd say checkout the Springfield XD series. Multiple barrel lengths, calibers...

__________________
if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is...
rrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
bruteboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: british columbia ca
Posts: 481
A 1911 with a 22lr conversion would get my vote.after owning many different handguns,I have 4 1911s now.one glock 21 and one revolver(44mag).
the one I shoot the most is my 1911 delta elite in 10mm.As I usually shoot about 500rds each time I go to the range,reloading my own ammo is the way to go for me.with a 22lr conversion,reloading would not be needed.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 3,772
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get into the S&W M&P9 9mm after the holidays...I want to shoot my Pop's Springfield 1911 also...
__________________
Get your personalized Ammo Can Magnet Labels HERE
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ 5.9L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 3,772
S&W M&P9 9mm paid for and on order/paid allocation, whatever the correct term... as soon as the shop gets one, + 10 day's I'll have my first handgun! No idea exactly how long it could be, but I think this is a more common gun that shouldn't be too terribly long to get in stock (I hope)!

I took to the Handgun Safety Test today and missed one question that I think the state is actually wrong on (I thought it was a trick question). The question was about Shooting in the Air for Celebration for Holidays/Events being Dangerous and "Often" Illegal. I was under the impression that it was ALWAYS illegal therefore the "Often" should have made the question FALSE instead of TRUE, but oh well... it's CA, and not really supposed to make sense I guess.

I've started ordering some of the gear that I'll need as a new gun owner... so far I have the following stuff here or on order.

* CA DOJ Approved Safe (Stack-On PS-514)
* Range Bag (MidwayUSA Compact Range Bag)
* Pistol Case (MidwayUSA Pistol Case)
* 2 Extra S&W M&P9 Magazines
* UpLULA
* Earmuffs
* Shooting Glasses
* Otis Cleaning Kit/Brushes
* Tekmat Cleaning Mat
* MTM Ammo Case and 100Ct 9mm Boxes
__________________
Get your personalized Ammo Can Magnet Labels HERE
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ 5.9L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #35
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,668
I am always so puzzled as to why a guy would get a 9mm as a "first handgun." It took me years of shooting, thousands or tens of thousands of rounds to shoot well enough to put a respectable pattern in a target at 25 yards and hit a moving target at walking speed. That skill, technique, and muscle control translated right over to center fire large caliber arms with virtually no learning curve. But, now after years of only occasional shooting, I am sure all my accuracy is diminished.

It would cost thousands more to climb that learing curve with a 9mm over a 22LR. Am I nuts? Do you guys with little or no previous handgun shooting just pick up a 9mm automatic pistol on day one and put a 4" pattern into a target?
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #36
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I am always so puzzled as to why a guy would get a 9mm as a "first handgun." It took me years of shooting, thousands or tens of thousands of rounds to shoot well enough to put a respectable pattern in a target at 25 yards and hit a moving target at walking speed. That skill, technique, and muscle control translated right over to center fire large caliber arms with virtually no learning curve. But, now after years of only occasional shooting, I am sure all my accuracy is diminished.

It would cost thousands more to climb that learing curve with a 9mm over a 22LR. Am I nuts? Do you guys with little or no previous handgun shooting just pick up a 9mm automatic pistol on day one and put a 4" pattern into a target?
I understand your point, but if the gun is ever needed for Home Defense, there is no room or hallway in my home anywhere close to 25 Yards long. 20 Feet or so is about as far as any shot anywhere in my home would be. So at 7 Yards at the range yesterday, while I wasn't hitting a 4" Pattern, I had an multiple magazines unloaded into a Human Chest Sized area on the target (while not moving).

I do plan on also getting a .22lr pistol in the near future as well once I decide on which one (M&P 22, one of the 1911 .22lrs, maybe). And I expect that I will probably spend as much or more time with it at the range due to ammo prices.

If I ever needed one for home defense, I'm much prefer a 9mm with +P ammo over a .22LR.
__________________
Get your personalized Ammo Can Magnet Labels HERE
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ 5.9L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I understand your point, but if the gun is ever needed for Home Defense, there is no room or hallway in my home anywhere close to 25 Yards long. 20 Feet or so is about as far as any shot anywhere in my home would be. So at 7 Yards at the range yesterday, while I wasn't hitting a 4" Pattern, I had an multiple magazines unloaded into a Human Chest Sized hole on the target (while not moving).

I do plan on also getting a .22lr pistol in the near future as well once I decide on which one (M&P 22, one of the 1911 .22lrs, maybe). And I expect that I will probably spend as much or more time with it at the range due to ammo prices.

If I ever needed one for home defense, I'm much prefer a 9mm with +P ammo over a .22LR.
Of course you will want to hit an intruder with a bigger bullet. But, the 22LR will pay for itself. Buy a Mark III and every time you pull the trigger you have saved about $0.25 to $0.50 depending on what 9mm you are shooting.

I go out, shoot 300 rounds of 22LR and I've spent $50-100 less than you. If I do that 50 times this year, I've paid for a dozen Mark III's which I could then give away. But, if I re-sell that one Mark III it has cost me nada to own.

So buy both. No point in getting anything other than a Ruger Mark III. It is the universal target pistol. Not the best, not the worst. But respectable in anyone's gun case. And easier to resell than food stamps. And, at 35 oz. you will be handiing that 9mm like it was made out of plastic.

Take the 9mm to the range and learn how it works. Shoot it a little so the report doesn't scare you. Put it under your pillow (you will probably never use it anyway) and go back to the range with the Mark III and shoot until you are a marksman.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Of course you will want to hit an intruder with a bigger bullet. But, the 22LR will pay for itself. Buy a Mark III and every time you pull the trigger you have saved about $0.25 to $0.50 depending on what 9mm you are shooting.

I go out, shoot 300 rounds of 22LR and I've spent $50-100 less than you. If I do that 50 times this year, I've paid for a dozen Mark III's which I could then give away. But, if I re-sell that one Mark III it has cost me nada to own.

So buy both. No point in getting anything other than a Ruger Mark III. It is the universal target pistol. Not the best, not the worst. But respectable in anyone's gun case. And easier to resell than food stamps. And, at 35 oz. you will be handiing that 9mm like it was made out of plastic.

Take the 9mm to the range and learn how it works. Shoot it a little so the report doesn't scare you. Put it under your pillow (you will probably never use it anyway) and go back to the range with the Mark III and shoot until you are a marksman.
For me when it comes to defensive or protection it is about drawing the weapon and getting it on target quick. There is more to it that that but those two requirements makes it necessary to shoot the exact weapon, use the exact holster and wears the clothes as you would when you are out and about.

Target shooting and defensive shooting are different, target shooting won't hurt you as a defensive shooter but hitting the bulls eye isn't the goal in defensive shooting. Trying to hit the "bulls eye" in defensive shooting could get you killed if the SHTF.

You can get a guns that are good for both target and self defense (not a .22 though) but the training is different. Nothing wrong with a .22 but it isn’t really the best choice for self defense but something is better than nothing.

We have a saying where I work "train as you fight".
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Of course you will want to hit an intruder with a bigger bullet. But, the 22LR will pay for itself. Buy a Mark III and every time you pull the trigger you have saved about $0.25 to $0.50 depending on what 9mm you are shooting.

I go out, shoot 300 rounds of 22LR and I've spent $50-100 less than you. If I do that 50 times this year, I've paid for a dozen Mark III's which I could then give away. But, if I re-sell that one Mark III it has cost me nada to own.

So buy both. No point in getting anything other than a Ruger Mark III. It is the universal target pistol. Not the best, not the worst. But respectable in anyone's gun case. And easier to resell than food stamps. And, at 35 oz. you will be handiing that 9mm like it was made out of plastic.

Take the 9mm to the range and learn how it works. Shoot it a little so the report doesn't scare you. Put it under your pillow (you will probably never use it anyway) and go back to the range with the Mark III and shoot until you are a marksman.
The Ruger might be a great gun, but damn it's ugly IMHO.

I really like the Kimber Rimfire Targets, but I can't see paying $800+ for a .22 Pistol
__________________
Get your personalized Ammo Can Magnet Labels HERE
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ 5.9L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
For me when it comes to defensive or protection it is about drawing the weapon and getting it on target quick. There is more to it that that but those two requirements makes it necessary to shoot the exact weapon, use the exact holster and wears the clothes as you would when you are out and about.

Target shooting and defensive shooting are different, target shooting won't hurt you as a defensive shooter but hitting the bulls eye isn't the goal in defensive shooting. Trying to hit the "bulls eye" in defensive shooting could get you killed if the SHTF.

You can get a guns that are good for both target and self defense (not a .22 though) but the training is different. Nothing wrong with a .22 but it isn’t really the best choice for self defense but something is better than nothing.

We have a saying where I work "train as you fight".
Drawing a weapon on a bad guy and getting an accurate first series of shots off should always be then goal of training. And a shooter who can hit the bullseye is a lot more likely to do that than one who can't. Sadly, there is very limited on site training for draw, select target and shoot a popup or moving target, and what there is is pricey to say the least. For a citizen who is only likely to win a shooting contest in his front hallway by surprise, I'll stick with a marksman over the quick draw every time.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Drawing a weapon on a bad guy and getting an accurate first series of shots off should always be then goal of training. And a shooter who can hit the bullseye is a lot more likely to do that than one who can't. Sadly, there is very limited on site training for draw, select target and shoot, and what there is is pricey to say the least. For a citizen who is only likely to win a shooting contest by surprise, I'll stick with a marksman over the quick draw every time.
Being the best shot in the world is nothing if you can't get your shots off.

I understand what you are saying. BUT "IF” you plan on using your gun for protection and you can't train doing this you will be screwed "IF" the SHTF. All the excuses or obstacles in your way as far as training will not change the fact of being untrained will but you at a huge disadvantage.

I will draw and hit center mass 3 times before draw, if you are untrained. We are only talking about 20 feet here. You don't need to be a marks man to do this. It is speed and muscle memory, developed from repetitive training. How good you shoot means nothing if you can’t get your weapon out and on target fast.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler
 
IH8PEPL's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Viroqua/Orem, Wisconsin/Utah
Posts: 2,176
Get a Glock 23, .40 Cal

Get a 9mm barrel and mags

Get a .357 sig barrel and mags

3 guns, 1 package. You can even get a .22 conversion for it... so 4 guns one package. Use the 9mm for target practice, the .357 sig for defense and the .40 for in between.

__________________
<<< Gobi Roof Rack for sale/trade in my classifieds.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #43
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Get a Glock 23, .40 Cal

Get a 9mm barrel and mags

Get a .357 sig barrel and mags

3 guns, 1 package. You can even get a .22 conversion for it... so 4 guns one package. Use the 9mm for target practice, the .357 sig for defense and the .40 for in between.

I don't like any Glock I've ever seen, touched or shot! Feels like I'm holding a 2x4
__________________
Get your personalized Ammo Can Magnet Labels HERE
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ 5.9L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #44
bruteboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: british columbia ca
Posts: 481
check out the GSG 1911 22lr cost around 300-400
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
KickboxingSloth
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 159
For a first gun don't get a Glock and don't get a .357 or a .44 those are common rookie mistakes. The Glock is very touchy and unless you really learn how to shoot it you won't be able to hit anything! I would get a Beretta 92fs it's a very balanced gun and forgiving.
__________________
Eat Sleep Jeep Repeat -O|||||||O-
If you aint from Texas you aint ****!!! :)
KickboxingSloth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.