First Handgun Advice! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > First Handgun Advice!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Better hurry up and buy one now. You're not going to be able to here soon.

Unread 12-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Of course, almost no one who legally owns a hand gun will ever use it defensively. It is more likely to have your house burn down or be killed in a car accident. And, for home defense there is nothing to beat a loaded 12 gauge shotgun under the bed. I have a Mossberg 88 for that job. No handgun is remotely equivalent for home defense, although I also have a laser grip hammerless 5 shot Ruger 38 Spec. nearby just in case.

Since the OP is not going to CC, the compact automatics are a non-starter.

And, for target and range shooting, the best possible choice is a 22LR target pistol like a Mark III.

Its always a problem trying to get one gun to do two things well.
Up close yes, at a longer distance no. The shotgun mentioned above with a pistol grip and short barrel could be ideal for home defense, depending on your home. A shotgun will throughout multiple "bullets" that can end up where you don't want them.

For me, I have large rooms in my home, a couple are over 30 feet in length. For a shot gun to kill at that range you would want rounds that could rip into a person at a greater distance. This type of load would go through the wall just like any other gun, only difference is there would be more of them. If that isn't an issue than the shotgun could be a great choice.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

After reading some of this discussion and conversations with a few of my friends, I likely overstated the "Home Defense" needs and my purchase will likely be more for "hobby"/target practice with little actual home defense use cases. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood with no imminent fears of break in, but do keep a baseball bat under the bed now just in case (hopefully enough to scare someone out of the house if I heard them). I don't have fears of my children killing themselves or others with the baseball bat (yes I know very possibly, but they don't mess with it)

I have 7 year old twins, I can't imagine a scenario where I would be comfortable having a shotgun, and anything with real home defense value anywhere that is going to actually be "grab and go" in a home invasion situation. I will likely be super duper, extra cautious with a hand gun lock, bio-metric safe etc since this is my first gun.

So lets change the disucssion back to, "I would like a nice semi-automatic handgun for my first and would love to hear more recommendations"
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
For me, I have large rooms in my home, a couple are over 30 feet in length. For a shot gun to kill at that range you would want rounds that could rip into a person at a greater distance. This type of load would go through the wall just like any other gun, only difference is there would be more of them. If that isn't an issue than the shotgun could be a great choice.
10 yds is a trivial distance for a shotgun, even with an open choke your pattern is the size of a softball at that range. #4 buck won't penetrate through a wall any more than a 9mm or 40 S&W slug would, in fact probably less.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
After reading some of this discussion and conversations with a few of my friends, I likely overstated the "Home Defense" needs and my purchase will likely be more for "hobby"/target practice with little actual home defense use cases. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood with no imminent fears of break in, but do keep a baseball bat under the bed now just in case (hopefully enough to scare someone out of the house if I heard them). I don't have fears of my children killing themselves or others with the baseball bat (yes I know very possibly, but they don't mess with it)

I have 7 year old twins, I can't imagine a scenario where I would be comfortable having a shotgun, and anything with real home defense value anywhere that is going to actually be "grab and go" in a home invasion situation. I will likely be super duper, extra cautious with a hand gun lock, bio-metric safe etc since this is my first gun.

So lets change the disucssion back to, "I would like a nice semi-automatic handgun for my first and would love to hear more recommendations"
I would say 9mm and larger would be adequate for home protection and just fine for hobby target shooting. You don't have to make an either or decision. For me a longer hand gun is easier to shoot more accurately. If you don't plan on carrying the weapon on your body size really isnít an issue.

Go shoot a few and see what you like, there are many many choices.

P.S. get a 1911, you won't be sorry, Colts are nice.

Unread 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
10 yds is a trivial distance for a shotgun, even with an open choke your pattern is the size of a softball at that range. #4 buck won't penetrate through a wall any more than a 9mm or 40 S&W slug would, in fact probably less.
Like I said a shotgun can be a good choice.

Unread 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I would say 9mm and larger would be adequate for home protection and just fine for hobby target shooting. You don't have to make an either or decision. For me a longer hand gun is easier to shoot more accurately. If you don't plan on carrying the weapon on your body size really isn’t an issue.

Go shoot a few and see what you like, there are many many choices.

P.S. get a 1911, you won't be sorry, Colts are nice.
I have zero notion of CCW in CA... I've read that the Sheriff's office in my County is EXTRA strict and there are few if any granted (rumor is ONLY 1 non-LEO with a CCW in Santa Cruz County, Population 275K, and he used to be chief of the PD or something like that).

Again, no hands on yet, but I prefer the 4-4.5" barrel from what I've been looking at. I'm not a huge fan of most of the Glocks, but like the Springfield XD/XDm!. S&W M&P9, and a few others.

I did a lot of reading last night and it turns out there are only a certain # of guns that are "blessed" to be purchased in California (200 different models of 9mm), unless you are LEO, get gifted from a direct family member out of state, or so some other Single Shot Exemption (SSE) loophole thing (which is maybe what I might do if I decide to get the XDm)
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

glock 19
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have zero notion of CCW in CA... I've read that the Sheriff's office in my County is EXTRA strict and there are few if any granted (rumor is ONLY 1 non-LEO with a CCW in Santa Cruz County, Population 275K, and he used to be chief of the PD or something like that).

Again, no hands on yet, but I prefer the 4-4.5" barrel from what I've been looking at. I'm not a huge fan of most of the Glocks, but like the Springfield XD/XDm!. S&W M&P9, and a few others.

I did a lot of reading last night and it turns out there are only a certain # of guns that are "blessed" to be purchased in California (200 different models of 9mm), unless you are LEO, get gifted from a direct family member out of state, or so some other Single Shot Exemption (SSE) loophole thing (which is maybe what I might do if I decide to get the XDm)
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Im pretty happy with my XDm 9mm, i hear the M&P series are nice as well

The trigger could be better, but its not bad by any measure.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Im pretty happy with my XDm 9mm, i hear the M&P series are nice as well

The trigger could be better, but its not bad by any measure.
What's the length on that one?

Some of the XD's are approved for CA, the XDM require the Single Shot Exemption, and I'd have to get some 10 Rd Clips (which are custom, not available from S.A.), but I much prefer the look of the XDm to the the XD's.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What's the length on that one?

Some of the XD's are approved for CA, the XDM require the Single Shot Exemption, and I'd have to get some 10 Rd Clips (which are custom, not available from S.A.), but I much prefer the look of the XDm to the the XD's.
4.5in fullsize with the #3 backstrap.

The normal XD leaves a lot to be desired, its not a bad pistol, one of the guy here at work has one in .45acp, but the my XDm has a nicer trigger, nicer barrel, better grip. Given the choice of XD vs M&P id take the M&P everyday, if you can get a XDm it would be a tough choice against the M&P.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
4.5in fullsize with the #3 backstrap.

The normal XD leaves a lot to be desired, its not a bad pistol, one of the guy here at work has one in .45acp, but the my XDm has a nicer trigger, nicer barrel, better grip. Given the choice of XD vs M&P id take the M&P everyday, if you can get a XDm it would be a tough choice against the M&P.
The M&P9 is Cal Legal (with 10 rd Mag) and likely easier to get without any loopholes in CA, and probably cheaper when all said and done because I wouldn't have to pay the shop to change to a single shot barrel to just change it back to stock and buy custom mags, etc.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

my votes on s&w mp 9mm... accurate, easy to use and clean. im a sucker for the m&p line of firearms. i have a few firearms but i only call upon two for home defense. the 9mm and a mp15-22 (looks and works like an ar 15 but shoots 22lr.) i will always suggest a class or classes, it just good to have the training. as for my home defense needs, i live in an upstairs apartment so i look at all my need a little different. after firing through targets on drywall the same thickness as my wall from around 30 yards i found the 9mm will rip right through at least 5 sheet of drywall, meaning it will travel through my apartment and into the next apartment. my 22 on the other hand with hallow points will go through only 3 so it won't travel into someone else's place. but it depends on your circumstances how "big" you want to go. i chose my 22 rifle because my 7 year old daughter can use it, but i trained her to use it... my 12 gauge would rip through every wall in the building and keep going, but thats with slugs.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

After obsessing over it most of the day, watching about 100 YouTube review and reading every comparison and review I could find, I think I'm pretty set on the M&P9 9mm. It will be a couple hundred dollars less than the XDm with less hassle and the extra $ will help me buy some of the stuff that I don't have like Pistol Lock Box, Ammo, Ear Plugs, Glasses, Locks, Carrying case, Cleaning kit, etc, etc.

Now I just need to find someone that can sell it to me. Closest Gun shop is about 45 minutes away (give or take with traffic). Maybe go do some "shopping" on Friday, of course still have 10 day California waiting period, etc.

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the urge to shoot one before your waiting period expires, I have one in .45 flavor. It shoots like a dream

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.