first aid kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > first aid kit

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Your welcome, We just had CPR/First Aid, and defibrillator training. In addition we just were trained with new trauma kits, which include these,,,,,,,

http://combattourniquet.com/applications/police/

I would recommend buying a couple of these to add to your kit.
I would caution their application just like the "casting kit", even more so really. TQs are ONLY for immediately life threatening arterial hemorrhaging. Which is quite rare outside of the tactical environment, as this type is injury is most commonly suffered from a ballistic wound. The use of a tourniquet is for times when all other means have been exhausted to not work, or when there is no time to try other means (care under fire).

While this tool is vital and has saved MANY lives in the sandbox, it is quite dangerous to be utilized by an un-skilled user, as you are LITERALLY cutting off ALL blood supply to the limb. If you look on amazon, theres a 1 star review (not sure if its real or a prank), where an individual stated they used the device, for a small wound on the hand, and left it in place for many hours, upon arrival at the ER hours later, they had suffered permanent nerve damage.

I'm not saying don't get and cary one, i'm saying that if you do, you owe it to yourself and the poor soul it needs to be used on, to know what the hell youre doing. They need to be ONLY applies to long bones (humorous & femur) and ONLY used when immediate life threatening ARTERIAL bleeding is being experienced. Again, a VERY specific injury pattern.

Furthermore, I personally recommend the SOF Tactical Tourniquet WIDE. All the Dustoff medics I have talked to prefer this model, mainly because of the METAL windlass. Whereas the CAT's is plastic and can be easily broken, especially for lower limb application. Its buckle is also far superior, and allows for easier one handed application around a limb (disconnect, wrap around, reconnect) as opposed to sliding the TQ up the limb (or what's left of it). Additionally, the velcro on the CAT does not stick so well when soaked in blood.

http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/produ...urniquet-wide/

'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. I would never use this for the heck of it. I use my jeep for hunting and fishing as well as camping and off-roading. I would definatly want to learn how to use it before I put it in my pack. It does seem like a better alternative to a belt that holds my pants up or some dirty rope I use for hanging a deer while I skin it. In the event that I need it for myself or someone else I would like to have it rather than not. Nerve damage they say? I would risk that to the alternative. Chances are it will never get used. Like waterproof matches. Snake bite kit is the most practical and tampons for my wife! Lol. Thanks for the advice. Most stuff in the first aid kit I hope to never use!
Cadreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cadreamin, be sure the CAT on ebay is the genuine article from North American Rescue, there were a number (I mean HUGE) number that were given to the Iraqis that were made in China. Our guys didn't get any but there are some remarkable copies out there. They will not hold up.The CAT is the easiest to use although there are some other good ones that are approved for military use, the SOF is also a good one.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it is made by North American rescue. Thanks for advising me though I appreciate it very much.
Cadreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.