first aid kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > first aid kit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

first aid kit

Ok guys give me some ideas on a first aid kit I bought the first aid bag from smitty bilt but now I have to fill it. Thanks in advance

Unread 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cuts, burns, breaks, trauma etc etc. Im sure you can get some good tips here.
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/loca...et-kit/anatomy
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Cuts, burns, breaks, trauma etc etc. Im sure you can get some good tips here.
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/loca...et-kit/anatomy
the more you cover the better. after what happened this year on a very long trail that is days to get out. I am investing in a real casting kit for breaks. nothing worse than have do drive with broken bones and improvised splints. you can buy every thing to make a modern cast for very little. about 50 dollars for a arm about 100 for a leg. its temp but it would have made the drive out much more painless. my kit is in the 200$ range i bet.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
1911fish
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My first aid kit is a multi use kit. I use it when traveling (as I tend to be drawn to remote areas of 3rd world country's), hunting, fishing, hiking, shooting, ECT. I carry everything from Band-Aids, gauze patches, Mole skin, pain relievers, Anti diarrhea meds, antiseptic, antibiotics, burn cream, tweezers, waterproof tape, patches for sucking chest wounds, stapler for sutures, truncate, nasal tube, and quick clot gauze. Also I have a whistle and a small compass. I am sure there is some I am forgetting too. All this is stuffed into a GI issued blowout kit pouch that I got off ebay for 27 bucks that came with some of the contents and I added the rest.
1911fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.. I have done some research on youtube. Lots of good info and videos of what to pack along. Looks like I will building a bug out pack as well. 72hrs is a good starting point water purifiers are a must.
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Mine is just a basic one. Crap ton of bandaids, tape, gauze, iodine, and stuff to splint up to an entire arm. It's all stuffed into an orange waterproof tube that I got from Harbor Freight that's for storing welding rods. Only time I've had to use it, was when I was at the park with my kids and one of them got a little cut or scrape from something. Hoping to keep it that way too.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

please please Just make sure you know how to use what you have. Its very easy to do more harm than good if you have no idea what youre doing or took the wrong advice from some idiot on the internet LOL

Basic bleeding control and maybe a pocket mask. gloves. ice packs.

as far as a "casting kit"......i would advise extreme caution, as improper application can cause compartment syndrome, and nerve damage, etc.!

My kit is way more advanced than ya'lls, but i have way more training and experience too. if yall have any questions, ill be happy to help as much as i can. Not only have I been in this fire/ems business for 10yrs, im also an instructor
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Instead of a cast kit a sam splint could be more useful, you can use it for splinting, use it to immobilize a neck, etc. As ReDinTX said, just find/get training for what you carry.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

SDDAVE
I live in Fontana CA. A little north of you. thanks for the Red Cross link. I used to be first aid,CPR and dephibulator certified. Over the last couple of years I have forgotten about their training courses. I will be putting a better first aid kit in my jeep with their recommendations and getting recertified for adults and children. I have a 4 year old and I can't think of a better way to be prepared for the unexpected. Off roading is a lot of fun but not being prepared can be dangerous. That link is a great reminder.
Cadreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadreamin View Post
SDDAVE
I live in Fontana CA. A little north of you. thanks for the Red Cross link. I used to be first aid,CPR and dephibulator certified. Over the last couple of years I have forgotten about their training courses. I will be putting a better first aid kit in my jeep with their recommendations and getting recertified for adults and children. I have a 4 year old and I can't think of a better way to be prepared for the unexpected. Off roading is a lot of fun but not being prepared can be dangerous. That link is a great reminder.
Your welcome, We just had CPR/First Aid, and defibrillator training. In addition we just were trained with new trauma kits, which include these,,,,,,,

http://combattourniquet.com/applications/police/

I would recommend buying a couple of these to add to your kit.
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I will look into that. Do you know where they are available and if there is proper training available? I agree with a thread above too, proper training is a must. Thanks for the information.
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok found them on ebay for 16.00 with shipping. Military issue. Noted and will be added in first aid kit. Thanks again!
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a small kit from an outdoor store for my Jeep and never really looked in it until I needed it. I had a fall while checking the depth of a hole, which I cut my hand. After getting into the kit I found that it had no large bandaids. What a joke!

Upon returning home I threw out most of what was in it and restocked it. Amazingly enough, while shopping, a found out that a lot of bandaids are now all made in China.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadreamin View Post
I will look into that. Do you know where they are available and if there is proper training available? I agree with a thread above too, proper training is a must. Thanks for the information.
Proper training. Do you know anyone in the military, that lives close? Some PD's are issued the same ones also.
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a buddy whom is employed by the la sheriffs dept. And another who is a paramedic for the la fire dept. But I would like to get a proper class that includes this as they may have other useful tips I might not get learning from a buddy. But none the less they may know of classes as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.