Destination Yellowstone, From NY to WY. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Destination Yellowstone, From NY to WY.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
XJGrunt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Destination Yellowstone, From NY to WY.

Well folks, I've been planning to go on my first real road trip, and decided Yellowstone, especially around this time of year, would be very Memorable.

My reason for posting here is for hopeful tips and travel advice, sights to see on the way. If your here to try and sway me or tell me its a bad idea, don't even bother posting. Looking for storage tips, extra parts I should bring that aren't coming to mind, to put on my current list of ; 2 full size spare tires, jack, belt, Obvious Tools and fuses, Headlights and taillights, bulbs, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, Gas Cans(plastic or metal?), Fluids, oil filters x3? etc.

The vehicle I will be driving is a 1998 Cherokee Sport with 150k. Bone stock, soon upgrading to LED for the interior for reliability and performance, considered getting complete undercarriage armor, HD bumper for front and rear, Rear would have Jerry Can Holder(s), but then took in consideration of Weight=more gas.

Thinking about best way for storage, thought about getting some waterproof bins, but feels there's something better out there.

I plan on buying a nice camera or 2 for photos, really want to leave cell phone at home to get the full experience of traveling, but may bring it in case of real emergency.

Should I bring the Jeep to my Mechanic to go over everything, to ensure the jeep is capable of doing the journey without risk of Major Part Failure.

Its simply time for me to experience life outside what i'm used to. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals have to recommend!

XJGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
bobjp

How long are you going?

Things to see on the way:

Lake Michigan (try to go into Michigan)
Chicago (if you like museums, otherwise don't bother)
UP of Michigan (it would be out of your way)
Badlands in SD
Mt Rushmore
Grand Tetons (probably after Yellowstone)

I went to Yellowstone in July, 2012. Finding a campsite is very competitive that time of year. You should definitely call the park and reserve at least your first night. Then ask if they recommend further reservations based upon the number of people this time of year. Some campgrounds can not be reserved and are instead first come, first serve, but you have to be there EARLY. You can find campgrounds or hotels outside the park at night, but that's a waste of time.

You should be "nomadic". It is not realistic to return to the same campsite each night. The park is HUGE. You will not want to waste your time driving from the south side of the park to your campsite on the north side. Plan your trip around the park in legs. If you're there for 4 days, divide the park into 4 legs so each night you end up at a campground.

You've got to set aside time for hikes away from the board walks. The busloads of Asians and their Ipads get annoying. If you just do the major attractions right off the main roads, you did it wrong. You're not experiencing what the park really has to offer.

I recommend staying in the park for a minimum of 4 days. The more, the better considering days are getting shorter.

Bear spray. Not that I had any incidents, but being paranoid on your hikes isn't fun.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

National Parks are closed right now do to Gooberment shutdown.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Plenty of gas stations across the US, leave the gas cans home. Why 3 oil filters, once again plenty of auto parts stores. There is a lot of civilization west of NY. Trip advice otherwise is to take your time and enjoy. Lots of different scenery

Unread 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Indy

You can never rule out major parts failure, it could go up in flames as you pull out of the mechanics shop. Minor parts are found everywhere, unless I planned on pulling over 3 times to change the oil on the side of the interstate I see no reason to bring oil filters. Maybe 1 can of gas but odds are you'll never need it.

Once you get here you'll be on horseback anyway, so you would be better off with a bag of oats and a few apples to help make friends. You can go by wagon if you want but for the most part the horse won't kill your back as badly. You will want some form of personal protection, usually a really good leather coat will stop an arrow. You don't want the cheapy stuff as it wont even slow one down. Get a good heavy jacket with a few layers of leather. Indian attacks slow down this time of year, but it only takes 1 to ruin your day and if the weather is nice all bets are off.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.