Core15 M4 Scout AR or Colt AR LE6920 M4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Core15 M4 Scout AR or Colt AR LE6920 M4

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Core15 M4 Scout AR or Colt AR LE6920 M4

I have been looking at the

Core15 M4 AR and I like its stats and lifetime warranty. The only thing I have heard is it sometimes does not like steel Rounds. It is in my price range were I can also buy nine 30 rnd mags as well. Atalantic will send them to CA in parts kit form untill 12-31-13 when buying a rifle. after 01-01-2014 parts kit are a no go in CA

Here is the link
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

I have also been looking at the Colt AR LE6920 M4.

I have heard it is real thought out and is very good. Also that the colt model do to its name never goes down in value. I do not know what the what the warranty is. With this one I cannot buy extra mags as I am near my limit of set aside funds.

Heres the link

Any thoughts ??????

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701 View Post
I have been looking at the

Core15 M4 AR and I like its stats and lifetime warranty. The only thing I have heard is it sometimes does not like steel Rounds. It is in my price range were I can also buy nine 30 rnd mags as well. Atalantic will send them to CA in parts kit form untill 12-31-13 when buying a rifle. after 01-01-2014 parts kit are a no go in CA

Here is the link

I have also been looking at the Colt AR LE6920 M4.

I have heard it is real thought out and is very good. Also that the colt model do to its name never goes down in value. I do not know what the what the warranty is. With this one I cannot buy extra mags as I am near my limit of set aside funds.

Heres the link

Any thoughts ??????
Do you mean ammo with steel cases or the bullet itself is steel?

I shoot tons of Wolf ammo that has steel cases and haven't had any problems in the thousands I've shot.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The review I watched said it jams sometimes on steel rounds, So I am going to say steel cases?. The review was not clear on that.

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701 View Post
The review I watched said it jams sometimes on steel rounds, So I am going to say steel cases?. The review was not clear on that.
Well you will never know until you try it. But reading the specs for it and there is no mention of a chrome lined barrel, a good thing, chances are you may have problems. but, a chromed lined stainless steel bolt carrier? Never heard of that.

I tend to stay away of no name brand stuff and Colt is way over priced.

Good Luck with your new AR.
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The barrel on the Core15 is 4140, some other maunfacturers use 4150, this is a harder steel alloy and holds up better than 4140 under sustained fire, but we are talking about small percentages of metalurgical magic. If you are looking for a good entry priced AR then the Core15 is a good product, they have great customer service and fast shipping. The chrome lined bolt carrier is designed for no metal on metal friction. The Colt is a good weapon platform but I have had to return some of them for chamber polishing because of feeding problems, no matter which one you get, both should hold their value (if you are looking for an investment), Colt costs more and will retain a higher price point, Core15 could be a better value when the prices start going up again. I personally have not heard of feeding problems with Core15 products, if I was looking for a basic weapon I would go for the Core or similar priced basic rifle and use the extra saved for magazines and ammunition. If I was to look for a Colt priced investment and a solid platform I would look at Daniel Defense in lieu of a Colt. But that's just an opinion.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Both are good guns with the colt being the better of the two but for the price of the colt id be looking at other options also. The only problems ive seen with the core or just about any other ar having with steel has been with the cheap tulammo stuff. Some will shoot it but alot of guns ive seen dont like it.
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjeep View Post
Both are good guns with the colt being the better of the two but for the price of the colt id be looking at other options also. The only problems ive seen with the core or just about any other ar having with steel has been with the cheap tulammo stuff. Some will shoot it but alot of guns ive seen dont like it.
Yep, the one's that don't have the chrome lined chambers, the steel cases tend to stick in them.
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
WJangler04
2004 WJ 

I'd say it depends on what you plan on doing with it in the future. If you want a solid, quality rifle from the get go and don't plan on modding it much, then the Colt may be the answer, if you don't mind the price tag that is. If you plan on picking up a starter rifle to familiarize yourself with the platform and then plan on building it up and making it your own, then the Core may be the way to go. Building your own is always an option too. You can assemble a good rifle in the $700-900 range fairly easily if you shop around. Depending on your circumstances though, it may take some time going that route and seeing that dreaded CA there, that could be a factor in your decision. I'm still trying to complete my first build, but freaking life keeps getting in the way.
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Each individual rifle will like different ammo, some will eat steel cased ammo all day and not care, others will choke. It varies from gun to gun even in the same model line and even then varies on how "broke in" the gun is. look at all the high end 2000$ 1911s that people say need 500+ rounds run through them just to start working right.

The colt is a nice rifle, its brand name, and the company has history with the AR platform and has a good reputation, no doubt its a good rifle, but you're paying for the name and a good resale value (which being in CA might be nonexistent soon)

The Core15 is a entry level rifle. Now there is nothing wrong with that if all you ever plan to do with its is shoot dirt and small game, if you're kicking down doors and using the rifle professionally id look else where. You can also always modify the rifle to fit you needs later on down the road, what was once and entry level gun can be built into a high end gun if you dump the money into it.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Each individual rifle will like different ammo, some will eat steel cased ammo all day and not care, others will choke. It varies from gun to gun even in the same model line and even then varies on how "broke in" the gun is. look at all the high end 2000$ 1911s that people say need 500+ rounds run through them just to start working right.

The colt is a nice rifle, its brand name, and the company has history with the AR platform and has a good reputation, no doubt its a good rifle, but you're paying for the name and a good resale value (which being in CA might be nonexistent soon)

The Core15 is a entry level rifle. Now there is nothing wrong with that if all you ever plan to do with its is shoot dirt and small game, if you're kicking down doors and using the rifle professionally id look else where. You can also always modify the rifle to fit you needs later on down the road, what was once and entry level gun can be built into a high end gun if you dump the money into it.

That is not exactly a true statement. Example, show me one Russian built AK47/74 or SKS for that matter that doesnít love that steel case ammo. I own many of those guns, shot dozens more over the years, and never once had a problem. True that when the AR15/M16 first came out there were problems but that was due to the type powder being used and the fact that the chambers were not chrome lined. Once they chrome lined the chambers and barrel, went back to the designers recommendation for powder all the problems went away. Now, I only have 30+ years experience building these types of guns so I could be wrong, but it is the chrome lining of the chambers that will prevent cases from being stuck.
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post

That is not exactly a true statement. Example, show me one Russian built AK47/74 or SKS for that matter that doesn’t love that steel case ammo. I own many of those guns, shot dozens more over the years, and never once had a problem. True that when the AR15/M16 first came out there were problems but that was due to the type powder being used and the fact that the chambers were not chrome lined. Once they chrome lined the chambers and barrel, went back to the designers recommendation for powder all the problems went away. Now, I only have 30+ years experience building these types of guns so I could be wrong, but it is the chrome lining of the chambers that will prevent cases from being stuck.
We're not talking 7.62x39. Or Russian rifles.

The taper of the 7.62x39 case is much steeper then the .223 case which solves the sealing problem of steel cased ammo. Because .223 has a shallow taper and due to steel not being a malleable as brass you get carbon blow by and fouling that is more likely to stick the case in the chamber. The other issue with steel case ammo in .223 is that it is normally under powered, which cause cycle problems and makes case extraction even harder. This isn't the old Vietnam era problem of ball vs stick powder and pressure peak times.

Some rifles will eat steel .223 all day. My BCM does exactly that, others commonly report issues, especially with entry level guns.
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
We're not talking 7.62x39. Or Russian rifles.

The taper of the 7.62x39 case is much steeper then the .223 case which solves the sealing problem of steel cased ammo. Because .223 has a shallow taper and due to steel not being a malleable as brass you get carbon blow by and fouling that is more likely to stick the case in the chamber. The other issue with steel case ammo in .223 is that it is normally under powered, which cause cycle problems and makes case extraction even harder. This isn't the old Vietnam era problem of ball vs stick powder and pressure peak times.

Some rifles will eat steel .223 all day. My BCM does exactly that, others commonly report issues, especially with entry level guns.
No, we are not but you said some guns will eat steel and other won't even with the same model and brand. ALL Russian built guns have chrome-lined chambers and none of them have feeding issues with steel cases. The taper of the case has nothing to do with it as well. What about piston driven AR's? They donít have fouling problems in the chamber.

Again, we are talking about steel cases being stuck in the chamber. Fact is chrome lined chambers are less likely to have a case stuck in them compared to a chamber that is not chrome lined. Caliber and type of gun makes no difference. I have never seen an AR15 with a chrome-lined chamber have problems with steel cases. I have seen AR15's without chrome lined chambers have issues with steel cases. Most entry-level rifles do not have chrome lined chambers or barrels, hence the cheaper value.
Unread 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
No, we are not but you said some guns will eat steel and other won't even with the same model and brand. ALL Russian built guns have chrome-lined chambers and none of them have feeding issues with steel cases. The taper of the case has nothing to do with it as well.

They're designed to run steel cases, it would only make sense that it actually worked. But your going to tell me that the (relatively) massive taper of the 7.62x39 case has absolutely nothing to do with its extraction.

What about piston driven AR's? They donít have fouling problems in the chamber.

yes, the steel case does not expand and seal the chamber like brass, it has nothing to do with the gas system. this has been documented in several places online.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Again, we are talking about steel cases being stuck in the chamber. Fact is chrome lined chambers are less likely to have a case stuck in them compared to a chamber that is not chrome lined. Caliber and type of gun makes no difference. I have never seen an AR15 with a chrome-lined chamber have problems with steel cases. I have seen AR15's without chrome lined chambers have issues with steel cases. Most entry-level rifles do not have chrome lined chambers or barrels, hence the cheaper value.
stuff
Unread 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

What is you point? You are not saying anything that makes sense. I read the website you posted and the guy doesn't say what type of weapon he used. My guess by the looks of the extracted cases is that his chamber IS NOT chrome lined therefore causing the problem.
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
jondoe297
2004 WJ 

Get the Colt.
jondoe297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.