Camping in a 2door wrangler? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
ashleyroscoe

Garage
Camping in a 2door wrangler?

Hi all--

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler sahara, 4.0 L 6 cylinder, 4 wheel drive.

I am interested in camping in it- I am wanting to do a 3 week long trip out (I have to be back for drill, can't go longer) to the Pacific Northwest Area (PNW), and I am located in the Chicagoland/Northwest Suburb area.

I do not want to sleep outside of the jeep. Being a female and a solo traveler, this is the only way my parents would allow me to go (I'm 18, and they are paying for the first part of college, so I am trying to not piss them off). I want all doors to be able to lock- no way in from the outside. I have a hard top on my jeep currently, and thats what would be on it while I travel.

Has anyone tried to hammock IN the 2 door jeeps? I have seen where you hang out from support bar, out the back window, to a tree. I am talking about hanging from front passenger corner (support bar), and welding a bar across the back (I am bad at explaining-- I will attach a simple drawing).

I am relatively small- 5'4", and have not problem curling up/not being fully stretched out.

Sorry for the rough drawings. Basically, the blue is the existing support bars (stock), and the purple would be a steel piece that I would weld to the existing bars. Please excuse the spelling on the drawing. I would stretch the hammock from front corner to the rear drivers side corner (where the new bar would join the existing bar)

Please leave any comments/concerns/better ideas! Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7389.JPG.jpg   IMG_7391.JPG.jpg   IMG_7392.JPG.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 AM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I tried to sleep in a very nice Pawleys Island hammock one time many years ago and it was one of my worst night sleeps ever .

I couldn't sleep and my back hurt me for days afterwards .

In all truth the skeeter's didn't help much either Ash .

http://pawleysislandhammocks.com/
post #3 of 16 Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
ashleyroscoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I tried to sleep in a very nice Pawleys Island hammock one time many years ago and it was one of my worst night sleeps ever .

I couldn't sleep and my back hurt me for days afterwards .

In all truth the skeeter's didn't help much either Ash .

http://pawleysislandhammocks.com/

I would be using my Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO) hammock, I have used it quite a bit, from camping to just lounging around. I will definitely test it out a couple nights before I embark. Good thinking about the mosquitoes, I'll have to look into a netting or something.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 PM
PERK
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
rockhard 4x4 sells this bolt on rear bar for 129.00 , may fit your needs
post #5 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
ashleyroscoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERK
rockhard 4x4 sells this bolt on rear bar for 129.00 , may fit your needs
I like that- I like that I can remove it if I need. I didn't want to spend that much, as I am ordering a roof rack. I really like that idea though...
post #6 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
if there is enough room to suspend it, there even 8' diagonally? . But i think you could anchor to the rear roll bar, with nothing more than webbing 1/2-1" tubular. wrapped in hitch. just clip in. cost a few dollars.

front window corner. must be more than a few places to make a anchor from whats there. might be able to put a bolt hanger on a bolt to stock sport bar window connection. but even with the front seat tipped forward, no rear seat. it wont be easy to set up to were it may be comfortable. would work better in a Lj or 4 door.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM
PERK
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/6215053925.html

this is on CL out here...have no idea what kind it is or how it works
post #8 of 16 Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 AM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERK View Post
this is on CL out here...have no idea what kind it is or how it works
The item appears to be a Raingler cargo net rather than an actual hammock, but if it works who cares what it is called.

Price new is approximately $175-225 depending upon actual size. I have a Raingler roof rack cargo net and it is a well made piece of gear.

See raingler[dot]com
post #9 of 16 Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about you fitting or the hammock fitting. I would think without the windows down it would get warm and uncomfortable sleeping in the jeep. With he windows down how secure would you be in the Jeep?

Your parents are worried about your security while sleeping but what about taking a 17 year old vehicle half way across the country?

When you are set up for sleeping will there be enough room to secure your things?

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #10 of 16 Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
AstroGuy
1976 CJ7 

pull the passenger seat out, cut a block of foam to fit. rest at ease.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Take out passenger seat and jerry rig a cot in it's place. You won't last 3 weeks in a hammock. I wouldn't recommend traveling by yourself, but would recommend taking a firearm. In any event good luck and be safe. BTW I have a 99 TJ and would drive it anywhere in this country without worrying about it breaking down. Have appropriate safety equipment if you go offroading.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
ashleyroscoe

Garage
Yeah- I am thinking of not going the hammock route now. Thanks for your input!
post #13 of 16 Old 08-05-2017, 05:32 PM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am a petite 5'6" female who has solo road-tripped and camped around the entire country over the years, mostly in my old trusty honda civic. I could fold back seat down, and fit pretty well. Have not tried dimensions in a jeep though. You may need to remove passenger seat. Plan on an overnight motel every few days for a really good night rest and shower. Avoid rest stops, walmart/gas station parking lots, koa type places, and frankly any place right off freeway. It is worth going 10-20+ miles off-road to reach a safer campground on federal public land.

As for security, if you have a dog, you really must bring him/her. I have always had a very protective large dog with me. There's been a couple of times my dog has effectively deterred untoward advancements in unsavory areas in towns, but never when camping. Also carry a blade in my pocket. Never felt safe travelling with my gun. Definitely think bear spray is helpful, but for some reason have not gotten any.

Don't let anyone tell you not to do it because you are a young female, going alone. I will assume you have a good head on your shoulders and are ok in your own solitude. Make sure your jeep is road worthy. Plan your trip carefully. Take lots of maps. Take an ipad with many movies loaded for evening entertainment. Take multiple charging devices for ipad and cell phone. And just do it. It will be awesome.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I saw a Wrangler pulling one of these this Evening .

They looked pretty good together .

https://www.eggcamper.com/teardrop.htm
post #15 of 16 Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sleeping inside a wrangler is easy; when it's time to sleep keep nothing behind the passenger seat on the rear bench seat so you can recline all the way. Put something in the passenger side footwell to bring it up to the height of the seat bottom (a soft sided cooler, backpacks, etc).

I recommend the following: two full size real pillows (they store great on either side of the rear windows) use one to fill in the gaps and cover the hard spots of the center console. Use the other as a pillow.

Also I'd say to tint your windows pretty dark so no one can reasonably see inside and I'd get a sunshade thingy to cover up the front window. Cut down a bigger one if you can't find a jeep specific one. I aways sleep better when you're not feeling like people are watching you.

Mitigate your dangers the best you can. I've spent some nights going to sleep with a blade in my hand. Others I slept like a baby. Then there was that morning I got held up by an Indian with a shotgun while I was in nothing but surf trunks and brushing my teeth. I was 19, excited to be exploring the west, and apparently was on "their land". Thought I was done for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.