campfire grill grate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > campfire grill grate

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

campfire grill grate

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Heavy...re+grill+grate

You guys ever use something like this? hows it work? I think this year I am going to take my grill less and use something like this on the fire to save space. I have cast iron set to go with it and would still bring my colman 2 burner.

nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah I do, bring it all the time, but I also bring my little Weber. LOVE it for english muffins in the AM, bread of any type, burgers, ect. Takes way too stinkin long to heat up the coffee percolator though. Works best over coals, but it's hard to keep decent, even coals going to cook 'real' meat lol. I have good luck getting a good fire going and putting a griddle on top of the grate, tbh.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

If I get this the baby weber will go to trail rides only, when I am not carrying camping gear.
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

it's heavy. but i use it every trip! fyi, you'll still need a single burner for the coffee percolator, it just won't work on the grate lol.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
ajmorell

I think the tri-pod style is a better option based on pricing and my experiences with one, but I haven't used the style you linked. Seems like the tripod style is cheaper, more portable, and infinitely more adjustable to work around whatever size pit and fire you have.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
it's heavy. but i use it every trip! fyi, you'll still need a single burner for the coffee percolator, it just won't work on the grate lol.
always bring the colman 2 burner
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
I think the tri-pod style is a better option based on pricing and my experiences with one, but I haven't used the style you linked. Seems like the tripod style is cheaper, more portable, and infinitely more adjustable to work around whatever size pit and fire you have.
I am worried about the space it will take up, this one folds almost flat.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
ajmorell

The tripod style breaks down into a box that's roughly 1" thick and 18"x18" square.
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^-- you got a link to the one your talking about? can I still cook with my cast iron skillets on it?
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
ajmorell

This is the exact one I have. I was a little worried it was going to be a POS but it's held up well for the 5 years or so I've had it. I haven't put a skillet on it, but as long as it's balanced I don't know why it wouldn't work...it's plenty sturdy.
http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Tri-P...s=tripod+grill

Here's the amazon link to a bunch of similar ones
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tripod%20grill
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the link ^ I will take these into consideration seems like it could work. I will touch one next time I go to sportsmans.
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

How about just carrying a flat shovel? You can use it for a grill or griddle and to dig yourself out of a tough spot.

I built a little 12"x18" grill out of 1" angle and 1/2" solid round bar that lives in the cook box. Put a 1/2" gap between each bar. Get it hot and coat it with lard. Season it up just like a Dutch oven. Can cook a good meal for two no problem. If you need more room, just pull out the shovel.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
sdwsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosheep View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Heavy...re+grill+grate

You guys ever use something like this? hows it work? I think this year I am going to take my grill less and use something like this on the fire to save space. I have cast iron set to go with it and would still bring my colman 2 burner.
This thing is made in China.. even though the company is "Texsport" some of there products are made in China.. these are cheesy and the legs do not work well.. because we bought one and I would not plan on having it last.. will it work? for a few times yes.. but my friends and myself would suggest a downnoutgrill.com .. Hand made in America.. this thing is bullet proof and the legs are independent so you can position around and over logs.. much better buy. Our friends are running these on there jeeps.. Good luck! ohh and these guys will custom make any grill you want.. check them out

http://www.downnoutgrill.com/
sdwsvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.