Buying a Police trade in gun. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Buying a Police trade in gun.

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'll give it a once over when I get it in. I know a good gun smith who's been doing it for twice as long as I've been alive. I'll let him tear it down and check it over also. Now round butt or square butt.

MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Well I'll give it a once over when I get it in. I know a good gun smith who's been doing it for twice as long as I've been alive. I'll let him tear it down and check it over also. Now round butt or square butt.
Which feels better in your hand? Don't know? Go to a gun store and handle both. I like square butt.
JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I don't know of any police departments that need to qualify once a month, most are once a year, the feds are once every 3 months. Most departments can't afford to qualify more than once a year. Very few police officers shoot much, in my experience most are not gun people. Maybe 3 to 5% are gun people, and most of them have a duplicate of their duty weapon for practice.

Most police trade ins will have a worn finish as they spend a great deal of time in holster and are usually not taken care of the best, but have very low round count.

Nothing wrong with a 38 special revolver IMO.

Qualifying usually consists of less that a 100rds. So to get a a hundred thousand rounds would take about 1000 years in most departments.
Come to Dallas, Tx. We are not a little bitty town like yours. But hey, thanks for your opinion.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Come to Dallas, Tx. We are not a little bitty town like yours. But hey, thanks for your opinion.
If this were the case do you think that Buds would be selling off guns with that kind of round count? Seems like a big liability to make a few bucks on second hand guns.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
If this were the case do you think that Buds would be selling off guns with that kind of round count? Seems like a big liability to make a few bucks on second hand guns.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
Who said their "Buds" guns have that kind of round count? Not me, I said the ones I've seen, and work on have had that type of round count. To be more precise, some do and some have not. When they get sold off and to whom they sell to I have no idea. My point is that some service guns have the potential to have high round counts. Also, just because they MAY have a high round count, doesn't mean they are a bad gun. You get what you pay for.

Assumption is the mother of all F Up's!!!
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

People are so strongly opinionated when it comes to fire arms. It's like politics and religion. Again just a pistol to keep in a drawer. Reliability a must, looks not so much. Maybe this is one of those things that you don't buy sight unseen.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
People are so strongly opinionated when it comes to fire arms. It's like politics and religion. Again just a pistol to keep in a drawer. Reliability a must, looks not so much. Maybe this is one of those things that you don't buy sight unseen.
I still say it's a good deal. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it. I think a revolver is more reliable as it's less likely to jam. Buy it and enjoy it.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Wheelguns have been around for ages. I'd buy one from Bud's their feedback on these particular guns that have been sold has been very good.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think it would make for a nice desk gun, and that's not bad for the money. I like .38 revolvers myself. My mom bought a .38 special from a retired LEO and it was well cared for.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
jondoe297
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I don't know of any police departments that need to qualify once a month, most are once a year, the feds are once every 3 months.
Likewise. My agency is once annually, and most of our personnel only shoot during the annual quals. I can only think of a handful of our guys who ever shoot more than the mandatory annual qual.
When I was with a federal agency we were every 6 months.
jondoe297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.