Buying a Police trade in gun. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Buying a Police trade in gun.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buying a Police trade in gun.

I'll start by saying I'm looking for a gun to keep in my desk at work. I'm not looking for anything fancy or something I'm going to be upset if I scratch. No debates on calibers, stopping power, or revolver hate. I've found these http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...654_910/gunbar. What do you guys think.

MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm and it is a fine gun. Nothing wrong with a .38 either. I always wonder, if someone breaks in and confronts you pointing a revolver at them, is he thinking - "Hmmmm.... that's only a .38 (insert whatever caliber you want), or is he thinking - "Oh $h!t!" I vote the latter.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like a good deal on a wheel gun to me and I think it will look nice in the drawer of my desk. Something with a little wear and character.
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with those 38's. I'd go for it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Indy

Good price. Just make sure its secure and not just left in a desk drawer for the cleaning lady to find. A 38 at reasonable ranges will do everything the 357 will do.

Bids on gb has them at 300-400.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yea always locked when I'm away. For more reasons than a pistol.
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

what I was going to say has been said so I will leave you with a quote.

"you will shoot your eye out"
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with LEO trade ins in my opinion. I have a H&K .40 that was used by an officer and it cycles and shoots great.
Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosheep View Post
"you will shoot your eye out"
We'll I hope not. Anything is possible when I'm practicing my Dirty Harry routine though.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^-- you can avoid issues if you only use speer gold dot ammo

But seriously I am even thinking of snagging a .38 one of the only ammo I can find around here in lib land

the things I would do for some .22
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
kubbie
2002 WJ 

Edited bc I posted in the wrong thread
kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

I bought a PD trade in once. It was great and i wish i still had it. PD trade ins tend to be carried often and shot very little. Their finishes are generally rough but their internals are generally damn near perfect.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
lunchbox704

I'd probably go with a used revolver before a semi.
lunchbox704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
I bought a PD trade in once. It was great and i wish i still had it. PD trade ins tend to be carried often and shot very little. Their finishes are generally rough but their internals are generally damn near perfect.
Except when they need to qualify on a monthly basis. Most of the ones I've seen have had several hundred thousand rounds through them.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Except when they need to qualify on a monthly basis. Most of the ones I've seen have had several hundred thousand rounds through them.
I don't know of any police departments that need to qualify once a month, most are once a year, the feds are once every 3 months. Most departments can't afford to qualify more than once a year. Very few police officers shoot much, in my experience most are not gun people. Maybe 3 to 5% are gun people, and most of them have a duplicate of their duty weapon for practice.

Most police trade ins will have a worn finish as they spend a great deal of time in holster and are usually not taken care of the best, but have very low round count.

Nothing wrong with a 38 special revolver IMO.

Qualifying usually consists of less that a 100rds. So to get a a hundred thousand rounds would take about 1000 years in most departments.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.