Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help.

I am going to be looking at this boat tomorrow.

What should I look for to make sure it will float and the transom won't rip off when I put my nissan 9.9 on it. I won't be able to test the float until I driven off with it, but they assure it floated and didn't leak. For the money they are asking, it seems to me worth a shot. What should I be looking for other than the obvious gaps in the rivet seam?

Also if there is a leak or anything else wrong, how hard is it to repair aluminum?

EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
bruteboy

it looks like some sealer is already on the seam around the back.it also looks like a shallow hull.(short transom)is your 9.9 a short or long leg?
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

short
EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

tinboats.net is a good site for aluminum boat restorations and advice. kinda like a jeepforum for tin boats. haha.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Indy

The only way to know if a boat leaks is to put it in the water and wait. The transom (wood?) should feel solid. If it feels like rot or wiggles it will need replaced. A 9hp motor won't put a ton of stress on it but having the back of your boat fall off when you're in the middle of a lake is probably going to be a bad thing.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had a 14 foot Smoker Craft boat--check for rivit leaks--with a buddy and two hammers you can tighten them up--They are well made--boats in my judgement--
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.