Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help.

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

Buying cheap old aluminum boat, what to look for and restoration help.

I am going to be looking at this boat tomorrow.

What should I look for to make sure it will float and the transom won't rip off when I put my nissan 9.9 on it. I won't be able to test the float until I driven off with it, but they assure it floated and didn't leak. For the money they are asking, it seems to me worth a shot. What should I be looking for other than the obvious gaps in the rivet seam?

Also if there is a leak or anything else wrong, how hard is it to repair aluminum?

EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
bruteboy

it looks like some sealer is already on the seam around the back.it also looks like a shallow hull.(short transom)is your 9.9 a short or long leg?
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

short
EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

tinboats.net is a good site for aluminum boat restorations and advice. kinda like a jeepforum for tin boats. haha.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Indy

The only way to know if a boat leaks is to put it in the water and wait. The transom (wood?) should feel solid. If it feels like rot or wiggles it will need replaced. A 9hp motor won't put a ton of stress on it but having the back of your boat fall off when you're in the middle of a lake is probably going to be a bad thing.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had a 14 foot Smoker Craft boat--check for rivit leaks--with a buddy and two hammers you can tighten them up--They are well made--boats in my judgement--
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.