Black powder scope/red dot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Black powder scope/red dot

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Black powder scope/red dot

I have a muzzle loading replica of a Hawken, I have removed the rear sight and put on a burris mount that will accept either a 1 inch or 30mm tube type sight. I have no experience with scoping a muzzle loader, but would prefer to use a red dot, not sure what to use though as most seem to be designed for short yardage and I will be shooting out to 100 meters.
Any body use a red dot or pro/cons etc?

JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Indy

100 yards is short range. Any will be fine.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any red dot will work and they all offer 1x magnification, but you can always stick a flip to side magnifier behind it for longer shots or aging eyes.

Vortex makes a tube style RDS that fits in a 30mm ring and can have a 2x mag lenses attached to it, but its a 4moa dot.

Dot size is important, for example a 2moa Aimpoint T1 or H1 will make the dot cover 2in of a target at 100 meters, a 4moa dot will cover 4in of target.

Primary Arms sells some nice quality Aimpoint knock offs for around 100$, a real Aimpoint or Eotech will set you back about 400-600$ https://www.primaryarms.com/Red-Dot-...Arms-s/903.htm
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Any red dot will work and they all offer 1x magnification, but you can always stick a flip to side magnifier behind it for longer shots or aging eyes.
Aging eyes are the reason, I find myself unable to focus on rear sight, front sight and target at the same time. I passed up a shot at nice buck this year with the muzzleloader, simply because I could not see it clearly enough above the bead. Honestly it was just a blur.

I understand the moa thing, 4moa is as high as I would go, as any shot I would take would be 100 metres or less and 4 inches at that range would remain on a vital area. There is some question of the definition of the red/green dot in low light (dawn/dusk ) situations, which concerns me however. I also have the option of mounting a 1x scope with 12-14 inches of eye relief, and am considering that as well.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Indy

Nobody can focus on all 3 at once, eyes don't work that way. Front sight is the important one, rear sight and target will (should) always be blurry. Unless you're combat shooting, which is close range and front sight can be blurry, rear isn't used at all might as well leave it at home, and you're still quite capable of accurate shots while being able to focus on the target to make sure it's a gun and not a cell phone in his hand

Red dots are primarily meant for fast acquisition at close range, not precision. I've used them out past 100 and performance is mediocre. Low moa dots are hard to see unless its dim out and high moa cover a lot of target. If you're shooting a 4moa gun + a 4moa dot, the perfect shot can be off by 8 inches at 100 yards. Their best use is for combat shooting as well. Being a single plane sight, you can focus on your target and the dot will overlap your focus.

And if you want to get real trippy, learn to shoot with the entire sight blocked off and both eyes open. It's called an 'occluded eye' sight at that point. Your left eye sees the target, your right eye sees the dot, and your brain overlaps the 2. It takes a bit of practice the first few times.

For your use, I'd suggest a 1-4 scope. Still single plane so you can see clearly, better accuracy than a dot, and you can dial the magnification up/down for your needs. 100 yards (300 really) doesn't need anything more than 4x for big game size targets.

*edit* If you decide to use a dot for hunting, make sure its legal where you are. Some states don't care and you can use mortars and lasers fired from satellites. Others, anything that emits any light is illegal.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.