Biking! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Biking!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #61
mountainjock

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Downhill, while you aren't doing 10-15 mile climbs, is not as easy as you think. I was doing century road rides in the Colorado Rockies, doing 50+ mile mountain bike rides, and one day of downhill at Keystone kicked my butt!

4.0 I6
mountainjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #62
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Meh, I just find downhilling as a disingenuous version of mountain biking. I know it's hard, and can be technical as Hell. But for me I find it way more rewarding to climb a hill so I can bomb down it, none of that riding up a ski lift crap.

I do love my Stumpjumper Comp but ride my Roubaix a ton more, just a lot more convenient to just go right out the front door for a ride.
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #63
bobjp

I had my first real downhill experience in CO this summer. I would love to try it on a bike with more suspension travel than mine, but I have say I was not nearly as satisfied with the trails I did in CO compared to those in Michigan (and if you don't know, MI is pretty flat). I was really looking forward to some superb rides, but honestly, it's much more satisfying to go up and down small hills than it is to ride your brakes downhill for miles. I wondered why I even had pedals.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #64
mountainjock

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I had my first real downhill experience in CO this summer. I would love to try it on a bike with more suspension travel than mine, but I have say I was not nearly as satisfied with the trails I did in CO compared to those in Michigan (and if you don't know, MI is pretty flat). I was really looking forward to some superb rides, but honestly, it's much more satisfying to go up and down small hills than it is to ride your brakes downhill for miles. I wondered why I even had pedals.
I feel ya! I am from Marquette btw. Being in the Front Range now, I guess I got tired of endless climbs, one after another after another, on the same ride, it was nice to go down for a day! There are some truly superb trails here that are up and down. Monarch Crest, while mostly down, is tops for scenery, and it has plenty of climbing at 10k feet. The first 46 miles of to Colorado Trail are great! The Colorado Trail from Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass (or shuttle it to Keystone or Breckenridge) is truly spectacular this time of year, and the climbs on that are tough as hell! Winter Park has a great trail system. Grand Junction, on the west slope, is great also, shorter climbs, shorter descents, technical stuff, great for spring and fall, even winter sometimes. Durango and Crested Butte are great also. We really do have top notch cross country rides here. It just depends who you talk to. A lot of locals won't tell you the good ones, bike shops too until you forge a relationship with them. It also depends on the time of year.
4.0 I6
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #65
bobjp

I assumed there were better trails in other regions of the state. I was riding near the San Juan Mountains (Telluride, Silverton, Ridgeway) area. Getting good directions to actual mountain bike trails was impossible. I can't even remember the number of times I got bad directions. Some of the visitor's centers directed me to the ORV mountain passes! It was ridiculous.

I was just looking for some scenic single tracks with flow. Not riding your brakes while bouncing your butt of rocks downhill after some absurd uphills. There were 2 good ones in Telluride (but mostly downhill) and a good one under development in Ridgeway.

How did you adapt to the elevation? I was never on my bike below 8-9000 feet, and it was terrible on my lungs. I couldn't ride for more than 30 yards without getting winded.
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #66
mountainjock

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post

How did you adapt to the elevation? I was never on my bike below 8-9000 feet, and it was terrible on my lungs. I couldn't ride for more than 30 yards without getting winded.
Living at 5200' helps. Other than that, just getting out and riding. Start short, then work your way up. I was also mountain biking two days a week, at least 18 miles each day. And also road riding once or twice. Even on long climbs you can find active recovery spots, find a little flat spot on the climb and down shift a few gears, go slow and balance. This gives your lungs and legs a break, even if it's just for ten or twenty feet. Or you can stand up and hammer it in a bigger gear, but that really only works on short climbs, or short steep spots on long climbs. Riding as much as I was, I had it down to a science. I was also smoking a pack a day at the time
4.0 I6
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #67
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Wife is still in SF, so I have the whole day to myself. Aaaand of course it's raining all day and since I believe in not rutting up the trails I'm stuck inside and off the bike...gah. First rainy day in weeks...no probably months.
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #68
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wife is still in SF, so I have the whole day to myself. Aaaand of course it's raining all day and since I believe in not rutting up the trails I'm stuck inside and off the bike...gah. First rainy day in weeks...no probably months.
It always works like that! My bike is back from Denver it was there for about a year and now the weather has been horrible for ridding it does not help that I caught the flu. -_-
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #69
starfan_9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update from my earlier entry, Sold the Giant anthem 26er and replaced it with a 2013 Specialized Camber comp 29er. Amazing bike and I have been loving it since I got it.

http://i.imgur.com/VvGKzyS.jpg

And here is a pic of both my Camber and my 2011 Specialized Allez Triple.

http://i.imgur.com/QLegj2W.jpg

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.

If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?

My mountain bike cost more then some of y'alls Jeeps
starfan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #70
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice I've been looking into a 2014 specialized carve 29er. I can't afford the stumpjumper and want better components than the rockhopper
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #71
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

my budget Diamondback OD , when i got it and after pedals and a real Fork

Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #72
piemaster
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
my budget Diamondback OD , when i got it and after pedals and a real Fork

I think my diamondback is a bit more "budget"
1998 Response SE. I'm just getting started mountainbiking, so its all I need right now. If I still like MTB this summer, I'm probably going to buy a FS All mountain bike when I have more money.

I also found this rack in my garage. My parents used to use it with their durango, but it seems to fit pretty well over the spare tire.
piemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #73
bobjp

This is the longest I've gone without biking a few years. It's going to take forever for the snow to melt and trails to thaw. Running is boring.
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #74
nwiTJdave

Anyone ever bought from bikesdirect? I've read a lot of mixed things about them, But would prefer to actually hear from first-hand experience. I'm looking at this bike. I like the components but not sure on the frame and fork. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane/650ht.htm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #75
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy bought a motobecane from bikes direct. Not that good of quality but was cheap
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.