Before I go camping check list! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Before I go camping check list!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a rubbermaid with all of my needed gear on a shelf in my garage next to my tent, chair, cooler, and hammok.
When I go camping I just throw those 5 things into the Jeep, grab food/ice/wood on my way out of town and I know I have what I need every time.

justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Take your list and cut it in half. Half of that stuff is not needed. A hammock, sleeping bag, cooler, ice, beer, greenery, tin foil, meat, gun, knife, first aid kit. Possibly a tent if it is suppose to rain but mostly use a tarp with my hammock.
I never know what I'm going to need, and 90% of the time it's whatever it was that I didn't bring with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
I have a spreadsheet that I can't get to open on my fancy new laptop (it's an XLR file), but I can email it to you I guess?

I would suggest going out a time or 2 and then paring on down the stuff you didn't even think about using those times. Cause you aren't going 20' from your Jeep with all this stuff lol. I have 2 totes ready to go, one with 'camping' stuff and 1 with the 'cooking' stuff, then throw the tents, pillows, sleeping bags, and coolers in and we are off!
Some additions for ya (sorry if they were there and I missed em):
tin foil
ziplocks (psuedo drybags, leftover storage, egg/ice cream recipes lol)
water jug (love my collapsable camping jobbies)
Can huggie/ cup (for 'dry' campgrounds, state parks, ect)
rake (camping on rocks and twigs sucks more than it sounds lol)
broom (to sweep out the tent before you put it away, no dealing with it again at home)
butter (you ALWAYS need it, never remember it)
baby powder (drys up and dusts off the sandy soil. Oh wait, that's only if you are camping in Jersey)
benedryl and a bee sting kit
looots of rope, string, bungies, whatever, you always need em
deck of cards

edited to ad:
just saw you are in VA. In a jeep. MORE rope. Cause you'll be hanging looooots of stuff from trees lol
This will all be locked up in my tow rig except what I'm using. I park my tow rig at base camp, then head around in my Jeep wherever I happen to be. (Big Dogs, Rausch Creek, Crozet, Corova, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
You must be car camping with a list like that. No way you are backpacking. When I used to be into backpacking, the list was much more simple.

Tent( ultralight style)
Sleeping bag
Camp stove and fuel
One largeish pot
First aid kit
One change of shirt/pants/underwear
Rain jacket
Pack cover
Water purification style of choice
Dehydrated meals
Water bottles( I always carried 5L of water to start)
Knife
Length of rope for bear bag
Toothbrush and paste
Headlamp

I'm sure I missed one or two small items, but for a week of backpacking, this is about all I would have. The last time I had weighed my pack, it was around 50-55 lbs.
Yeah, it's for car camping. I have toyed around with the ultralight hiking idea a bit, but I think that would be what I pack into my Kayak and paddle around for a week. When I'm truck camping I want to carry more stuff to cover whatever I might need without having to improvise to often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible View Post
I have a rubbermaid with all of my needed gear on a shelf in my garage next to my tent, chair, cooler, and hammok.
When I go camping I just throw those 5 things into the Jeep, grab food/ice/wood on my way out of town and I know I have what I need every time.
This is what I want to eventually wind up with. A rubbermaid tote or two that I can just throw into the back of the truck, a couple of coolers full of food and drinks, and firewood and then just hit the road.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

duct tape
sheet of plastic for UNDER the tent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

I understand the desire to be prepared but I bet if you try taking less, I bet you'll go more often and enjoy yourself more. Water, food, whiskey, beer, tent (or sleep in jeep), sleeping bag, pillow, knife, lighter and backups, dryer lint (great for starting fires), head lamp and back up, tp, first aid, water purifier or tabs, saw / hatchet. Bring a good jacket system, 1 extra pair of socks, and the clothes you're wearing + whatever layers the weather might require. You can get it all in a backpack or a tote and since you're in the jeep, a large cooler for your food and beverages and that way you have two items to throw in the jeep and go. You're not camping because it's perfectly comfortable and convenient, are you? And cook over the fire! That's one of the best things about camping. Screw a stove and gas. Enjoy! It's already getting too hot to camp here in SC.
ATown17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATown17 View Post
I understand the desire to be prepared but I bet if you try taking less, I bet you'll go more often and enjoy yourself more. Water, food, whiskey, beer, tent (or sleep in jeep), sleeping bag, pillow, knife, lighter and backups, dryer lint (great for starting fires), head lamp and back up, tp, first aid, water purifier or tabs, saw / hatchet. Bring a good jacket system, 1 extra pair of socks, and the clothes you're wearing + whatever layers the weather might require. You can get it all in a backpack or a tote and since you're in the jeep, a large cooler for your food and beverages and that way you have two items to throw in the jeep and go. You're not camping because it's perfectly comfortable and convenient, are you? And cook over the fire! That's one of the best things about camping. Screw a stove and gas. Enjoy! It's already getting too hot to camp here in SC.
This. The first time I went camping with my wife years ago, her father packed her Cherokee for her. When I arrived, I about flipped over.

Next time you go, try to fit what you need into a 65 or 70 pack. Camping is about being outdoors with nature. You will have more fun not worrying about everything.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Too much clothes. If less than 3 days, rewear jeans. If more, alternate. Couple shirts. Layer is key. Tshirt + button up long sleeve + sweatshirt will give you options. Rotate clothes. Wash them in the creek if you have to. If you are hiking extra socks are important.

Point of camping is to get away from all the noise that clutters our lives daily. The more noise that you pack, the more work and less enjoyable it becomes.

I learned to camp from my grandpa. He could pack for a week in a bag no larger than a briefcase and a milkcrate. He brought the bare essentials, and lived off the land. Knowing you had to catch supper was great motivation to get something.

This applies as long as you are not camping with women or children. I plan to train my kids to camp light. My wife is beyond training.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
TJ_In_The_Ville
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
I see you forgot the most important thing........ Handgun!!

I never go camping without one, NEVER.
You don't live in Maryland.
Unread 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_In_The_Ville View Post
You don't live in Maryland.
I've heard CC permits are difficult there, but, don't they permit openly displayed handguns?
Unread 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
TJ_In_The_Ville
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I've heard CC permits are difficult there, but, don't they permit openly displayed handguns?
If you were to open carry in Maryland, they would deploy 5 separate SWAT teams and call in an air strike. Unless of course, you are an illegal alien. In which case, you would be offered an interpreter and a discount on ammo.

http://www.gunlawguide.com/Maryland.htm
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #25
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't read the whole thread but did anyone list gf,wife or Jeep?
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man, you sure bring a lot of stuff with you. Is this a two week camping trip or something?
I do a lot of camping and don't bring a third of that. I camp and canoe in the BWCAW for a week at a time and I fit everything I need in two packs.
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like the list the OP has. It's always a challenge on what fits in a Jeep. I tend to take too many clothes (I wear clothes longer then I think I would).

I now have a trailer behind my Jeep and my last camping trip included things to make life a little nicer so I thought. However I found that some were more of a pain to use then as before (such as using real plates that have to be washed with carried water vs. paper plates). I have a nice soft sided bag with individual plastic containers with cooking tools and I'm rethinking this. I like to cook in the woods, but the last thing I want to do is to spend too much time cleaning up afterwards then enjoying the precious time that I have.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #28
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Necro - Is your list for a family camping trip? Individual? A few buddies? Campground? Walkabout in the back country? The list you provided seems more geared to a weekender family camping trip to a campground. Even if that is the case there's items that have more than one use and will allow you to cut down on the massive amount of items you are toting around.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Lots of good suggestions for lists. My suggestion is to separate everything you use on a camping trip after you are done from everything you never touched. I did this after a few trips and really cut my load down. Be prepared, but unless you are really far from civilization, you don't need the kitchen sink with you.
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #30
MountainMike426
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
Lots of good suggestions for lists. My suggestion is to separate everything you use on a camping trip after you are done from everything you never touched. I did this after a few trips and really cut my load down. Be prepared, but unless you are really far from civilization, you don't need the kitchen sink with you.
I prefer being as far away as I can get with as little as I can bring. OPs list sounds more like a "glamping" list then a camping list. Then again, I'm more of a survivalist camper so I only bring a few things. The best thing I ever bought for camping/hiking/ just being outdoors is a LIFESTRAW. They're $20, weigh only 2 oz, and filter at least 1000 liters of water. They also filter 5 times better than the EPA requires drinking water to be. But like others said, when you're going to be outdoors less is more.
MountainMike426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.