AR15 QD Golf Ball Luncher Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > AR15 QD Golf Ball Luncher Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

AR15 QD Golf Ball Luncher Build

I give you my Quick Disconnect Golf Ball Launcher How-To.

Its pretty simple, take an off-the-shelf golf ball launcher, bore out the base, and fabricate and attach the mount. As a plus golf balls and blanks currently cost less per round than even the cheap steel cased ammo.

I used a launcher I bought from UNAC. Its a nice unit, phosphate finish, good machining, comes with 50 DAG plastic cased blanks, 50$ shipped. The same site also sells extra brass M-200 and DAG plastic blanks.

Bulk used golf balls, about 70$ shipped for 300 balls, I had 11 out of the 300 not fit in my launcher tube.

Now, this will work with an A2 or other muzzle device with the same mounting slots and a 22mm OD.

Materials:
  • Smooth-Bore Seamless Steel Tube, 0.87in ID, 1in OD, .065 wall, McMaster-Carr PN#9220K97, 3ft piece, 15.90$
  • 18-8 Stainless Steel Retaining Pin for 5/8" Shaft Diameter, McMaster-Carr PN#90153A227, 25 pack, 12.70$
  • Golf Ball Launcher, any one should work, the one I used is here.

Now make this part. You'll dremel two strait slots, about 1/8in wide, into the tube, and cut the tube to length. Those with pined and welded "extended A2", to make their 14.5in barreled rifle non-NFA, will need to make the mounting tube longer than shown. Leave about 3/16 to 1/4in of metal between the slots. Use some sandpaper to de-bur the inside of the tube.

It should look about like this when you're done.

The "knurling" on the end was an accident, the tube slipped in the band saw.

Moving on to the launcher, the one from UNAC has a very thick base. To fit the mounting tube, you'll need to drill or bore out the base from the small 1/2in hole to 7/8in and then to 1in to fit the tube. You can leave a step if you dont want the tube to sit all the way in. Mine was made with fairly soft steel, so drilling in a drill press was easy. Different launchers will be different, think twice, drill once. Should look about like this.

Now, insert the mounting tube into the bored out launcher body. Make sure the mounting tube in square inside the bore. Then weld it up and paint it if you wish.

More detail on the mounting system. Pin goes through the mounting tube and locks into the slots on the A2.
To install; slide on, insert pin.
To remove; pull the pin, slide off, depending on the carbon build up it might be a little tight.

Mounted on the my rifle.

Testing Video

Notes:
Its stupid fun, everyone who fired it had a big smile. Recoil is almost non-existent. Sights are just about useless, the ball drops to fast and the trajectory is "inconsistent" at best, the balls will hook left or right randomly. If you hit anything solid, like a tree or brick wall, the ball will ricochet, be smart about that, you've been warned. This is not a toy, balls launched can be lethal, even the blank rounds are dangerous, basic firearm safety still applies. Do not try to launch a ball with regular bullets, your rifle could kaboom and that's bad, you can however fire live rounds through the empty launcher with no problems. Range is easily 350+yds depending on the rifle its attached too and the blanks used.

chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Indy

"
Now make this part. You'll dremel two strait slots, about 1/8in wide, into the tube, and cut the tube to length. Those with pined and welded "extended A2", to make their 14.5in barreled rifle non-NFA, will need to make the mounting tube longer than shown. Leave about 3/16 to 1/4in of metal between the slots. Use some sandpaper to de-bur the inside of the tube."

Going to point out that if you have a welded hider/brake whatever on your rifle and you remove it to do this, you have an illegal SBR. You can't have anything that's easily removable and a short barrel unless you have the tax stamp. The full length has to be 'permanent' and exceed 16". Unless I missed the part that you actually bond the mounting tube to the barrel.

*edit* nevermind. Re-reading you're leaving the brake on and using the QC behind it to hold it in place. Ignore me
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Indy

Tthe golf ball launchers are 1/2 that price if you use cheaper than dirt, same screw on mounting system instead of the brake/hider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.