Anybody hand load? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > Anybody hand load?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Anybody hand load?

My bench.

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WOW! I dabble a little bit right now, but don't have near as much stuff as you do. It almost looks like your ready for a new bench the way its bowing! I started with 12ga because of the ease then got into .223 and .40cal.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

This is a 25+ year collection of hand loading.

I have not taken one game animal in that length of time with a round I did not load. I load all of my hunting and target rounds. I would never use a hand load for self defense.

Btw, the bench is not bowing. I took the photo with a lens that causes that effect. I had three benches before I designed this one. It takes up 8 square feet of floor space (12" x 96").
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice little setup you have there. I've been reloading for 37 years now and HAD about twice as much as that. Until

Out of 150k rounds this is all that lived.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

How did the fire start?
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Air conditioner shorted out. Here is the killer that made me cry. Insurance did not cover the gun/hunting items that were in there. Nationwide is not on your side.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Coverage for guns is usually a limited amount ($2,500?). Hunting, reloading and any other personal items should be covered up to 60% of the covered amount of your dwelling. If you have a $100,000 dwelling you should have $60,000 coverage for personal effects. Some policies cover 40% of the dwelling amount.

Your "Man Cave" looks to be detached from your main dwelling. If so the coverage for the detached structure will be 10% of the main dwelling amount ($10,000 in my example). If your "Man Cave" is not on your covered property (lot) the coverage for the contents could be less than the 40%-60% and zero for the structure.

I am suggesting this because you are located in Texas and I have had experience with these matters there.
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb View Post
My bench.

I used to with my dad, we were setup with a few presses for various calibers. It looks like the same presses we had. We loaded .45, .38, .357 and 30.06. We used to do allot of target shooting. It looks like your table is sagging in the middle, is that the bench you do you’re reloading on? Never mind, now I see the bench you have your presses mounted.

I don't do it anymore. Now I only shoot a few times a month, and basically only for defensive shooting. I can shoot on my property so finding a place is no big deal. When I did target shoot I could go through hundreds and hundreds of rounds in a week or two. Now I go through a fraction of that and only shoot a couple of hand guns.

About every year I zero my 30.06 but don't really hunt. I am making a food plot off my back deck so I may "hunt" a little more but that is only to fill the freezer.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross

I used to with my dad, we were setup with a few presses for various calibers. It looks like the same presses we had. We loaded .45, .38, .357 and 30.06. We used to do allot of target shooting. It looks like your table is sagging in the middle, is that the bench you do you’re reloading on? Never mind, now I see the bench you have your presses mounted.

I don't do it anymore. Now I only shoot a few times a month, and basically only for defensive shooting. I can shoot on my property so finding a place is no big deal. When I did target shoot I could go through hundreds and hundreds of rounds in a week or two. Now I go through a fraction of that and only shoot a couple of hand guns.

About every year I zero my 30.06 but don't really hunt. I am making a food plot off my back deck so I may "hunt" a little more but that is only to fill the freezer.
The wide angle lens makes the sagging effect. It is straight. My loaders are two (blue) Dillon 450's, one set up for 45 acp, the other 44 mag. They have all the accessories of the 650 but they are the first syle with non-changable die heads. The green RCBS Big Max is set up for 45-70 Gov.
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb View Post
The wide angle lens makes the sagging effect. It is straight. My loaders are two (blue) Dillon 450's, one set up for 45 acp, the other 44 mag. They have all the accessories of the 650 but they are the first syle with non-changable die heads. The green RCBS Big Max is set up for 45-70 Gov.
We had the older Dillons also. We had two I believe. One for the .45 and the other for the .357. He also had a press of some sort for the 30.06. We had a tumbler for cleaning brass and some molds for making the bullets. My dad had a friend that owned a tire store so we would get his old wheel weights to cast our bullets. I remembered we also had a press of some sort to lube the bullets.

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I have been reloading for years. Seems like the older I get the more I enjoy it too. Lots of great products and equipment out there for us as well.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Someone pm'd me about the notebooks. I keep a log of every caliber/load and how they perform (group size, velocity, wind, temperature, etc.).
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I reload...but only for one caliber. I'm small time

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I reload...but only for one caliber. I'm small time
No, you just aren't afraid of commitment.

Unread 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
No, you just aren't afraid of commitment.
?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.