308 ammo question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Outdoor Recreation > 308 ammo question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

308 ammo question

I have a 308 round with no powder in it. I want to detonate the primer. What is the best way to do this without the gun. Also I don't have a vice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
JimmydaGreek

2002 WJ 

You need a way to secure the round, typically in a vice. If you don't have a vice you just need to find a way to hold the round in place so you can strike it.
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmydaGreek
You need a way to secure the round, typically in a vice. If you don't have a vice you just need to find a way to hold the round in place so you can strike it.
What kind of force does the primer create. Also, does the slug need to be remove for this process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
CJATE

I'd be worried the primer does have enough force to blow back or send projectile.

Primer has plenty of snap

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Might be best to someone with a re-loader to put lead into a spent shell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

remove bullet. place cartridge in rifle. pull trigger (do this outside).

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
JimmydaGreek

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
remove bullet. place cartridge in rifle. pull trigger (do this outside).
Do you just want to dry fire your rifle? Do you have a local gun store you can just run in and pick up some snap caps?
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

First, are you sure there's no powder in it? Don't tell me you tried shaking it and didn't hear anything.
Second, that primer will have enough to launch the lead hard enough to be dangerous.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Indy

Thinking of all the ways this can go badly. There are quite a few.

1st ? Would normaly be how experienced a loader are you,but im guessing negative numbers here.

So lets start with why are you messing with this?

A primer launched bullet can kill you, ask brandon lee. If youre wrong about it having no powder things can get real interesting quickly. Ive been shooting for decades and coming close to my second decade loading. With my gear and my experience, i wouldnt think of blowing a primer with a bullet in the case much less an apparently unknown round.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

as mentioned.

remove bullet. place empty primed cartridge in rifle. fire.

outside, in safe direction.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

MUST BE DONE IN THIS ORDER!!
1. Call 911
2. Hold cartridge with pliers.
3. Strike primer with ball been hammer
4. Wait for ambulance.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

next time you BBQ just drop the shell in the....no,no,no,no just kidding. If not using a rifle, then drill a hole in a 2x4 just large enough for the round to fit. Drill ALL the way through the board. Do not block the open end of the shell. Be positive there is no powder in the shell. Get your redneck neighbor to hit the primer with a nail and hammer. Seriously man, what are you doing? Just get a spent round and remove primer the safe way. If you need a spent round I'll send you one.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This has bad news written all over it. Just leave the stupid human tricks to other people and watch from a safe distance. Do a quick youtube search for someone striking a primer with a hammer. It looks the same, but the difference is: You won't lose a hand or die...
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bullet puller then run it through a resizing die with a decapping pin. It will push the primer back out. Or just leave the primer in the case but still pull the bullet to verify there is no powder charge. Just by shaking it will not tell you theres powder in it or not.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a way better idea. Throw the damn thing away. Bury it. Something.

When I was younger I thought I would set a shot shell primer off in a vice (no shot or powder just a empty shell with a live primer). I clamped her down and hit a small screwdriver setting on the primer.

When it went off the primer cup ruptured and shot out of the pocket. Luckily the screwdriver went thru the cup and it ended up on the shaft of the screwdriver. Unluckily tho the pad of my finger was against the shaft of the screwdriver.

Took a good hunk out of my finger and I could just imagine what it would have done if the screwdriver shaft had not captured the cup and it had hit me.

Now......most gun shops sell a kinetic bullet puller that I have used many times to disassemble loaded rounds to check for bullet weight and powder charge. THAT is your best bet to stay out of the hospital.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.