Zed's Machine (Build Thread) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Zed's Machine (Build Thread)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Zed's Machine (Build Thread)

Well, I figure I'd start a build thread someday. Now, be forewarned, I only can pretty much take pictures with my phone, so they won't be awesome, but enough to get the point across of what I've been up to. Now, onto the build:

I got my jeep last year, 2005 Grand Cherokee, Laredo, 3.7L, QTI. Bare bone stock. I couldn't find a stock picture anywhere, but I googled this for you to get an idea.

49729881.jpg

I began of course, like everyone else, by a 2" Rough Country Lift. Followed with 265/70/17 Falken Rocky Mountian ATS.

2011-10-06_15-54-36_173.jpg

Then I ended up blacking out the tail lights.

2011-10-06_15-55-21_211.jpg

Got a Thrush Welded muffler installed with a chrome tip on the end. Couldn't find a black one!

img_20110926_170103.jpg

I think it was about this time that I decided to plasti-dip my rims.

2011-10-21_09-56-15_608.jpg

2011-11-03_16-23-45_345.jpg

I also plasti-dipped my emblems and grill and part of my headlights along with doing a mesh grille with gutter guard.

2011-11-03_16-23-59_131.jpg

I think it was about this time when I decided I needed something for the front end. So I ended up getting a Bull Bar off ebay with some ebay fogs.

2012-03-27_15-28-34_604.jpg

I then threw on the LED Tail Lights and the Tail Light Guards I got from christmas!

2012-02-13_16-35-36_772.jpg

Following that up, I did Omelets LED Rock Light Mod:

2011-11-26_20-26-31_911.jpg

Continuing....

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Sorry about the big pictures, I'm fixing them.
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

I then installed 1.25" eBay spacers! Thanks Omelet!

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Last edited by zeds_dead; 12-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Size of pictures
zeds_dead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Now is about time I did my tablet mod. I decided I wanted something different in the dash, not a double din, because I didn't think the $1000 dollars or so was worth it. So it was onto a tablet. I had my wifes Dell Streak 7 laying around that I got her for christmas and she didn't use it so I decided to use it. So basically, the project consisted of:

- Project Wood
- Screws
- A Dremel
- Sandpaper
- Velcro

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to let me know. Because I don't have alot of pictures.

Here is a pic of part of the mount where at the bottom I cut out a hole for the charging port.

1.jpg

And I did have the regular radio bezel, not nav bezel, So I was going to have to cut alot. So I took the side fill-ins from my headunit install kit and plastic welded them in.

2.jpg

Like I said, if anyone has any questions just let me know. But I don't have alot of other pictures. Used the wiring harness that came from my headunit install, wired that to a mini 4 channel amp, RCA from amp to equalizer. A fairly simple procedure that pays off alot in the end. I also run a OBD II adapter so I can run Torque and pretty much have digital gauges of everything in the jeep. Heres the finished project:

3.jpg

By far my favorite mod so far. Although now I am taking out the HVAC or A/C bezel, (whatever you call it), and the radio bezel, and I'm going to fiberglass a whole new bezel like the 08+ models have for my new Nexus 7.
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

And here is the jeep most currently, took off the bull bar. And I never had any pictures of when I installed factory fogs, but I did that with Putco Jet Yellow bulbs. I know my thread is all over the place right now, but from here on out, I can kind of keep it more organized.

img_20121218_163840_828.jpg
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Awesome WK dude! Nice job on the build. I really like the tablet mod you did. How well does it integrate with the WK? Do you have the tablet playing over the stock sound system? Any possibility of steering wheel controls working?
bhawks28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Thanks! Well, I think the tablet integrates great! It looks fine right now. When I completely redo and fiberglass a new center bezel, I'm hoping to make it look stock. And yes, steering wheel controls are possible with the right app and interface! I'll take some more pics of the EQ and how its wired later!
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Robb286
2006 WK 

I really like that tablet idea too! Too bad i just bought an aftermarket one or i would've went your route. Nice job, really clean finish!
Also the pic of your rig looks a lot better with the factory fogs, air damn and bull guard removed. ..
Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Quantum
2007 WK 

{hehe, "air damn"}
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb286 View Post
I really like that tablet idea too! Too bad i just bought an aftermarket one or i would've went your route. Nice job, really clean finish!
Also the pic of your rig looks a lot better with the factory fogs, air damn and bull guard removed. ..
Thanks! Your rig is awesome too! Yeah...i'm liking it a lot better. I'm trying to get a SA Front Skid and Hellas behind the grille sometime in January/February! I think that will complete the front end for now....until hidden winch or steel bumper!
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Looking good zed. How do you like the Putco led fog lights? Any pics
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Looking good zed. How do you like the Putco led fog lights? Any pics
Love them! I'll post pics later!
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
jjt250
2007 WK 

Hey Zed, did you trim the bolt to run your 265's when you weren't running spacers? Any other modifications to run them without spacers?
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Hey Zed, did you trim the bolt to run your 265's when you weren't running spacers? Any other modifications to run them without spacers?
Nope! They rubbed at full lock a little. It depends how aggressive your tires are. After I got spacers they didnt rub at all. And I've heard a lot of bad things about trimming the bolt.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Awesome bud I have been wondering if I could get a Nexus7 to work in place of my outdated Nav. Excited to see you got yours up and running! You will have to post up all the details to what you used. I know you said you don't have many pics, but maybe you could snap a few of the things you used and how it all went together?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.