You decide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > You decide

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Smokestarter

You decide

I'm not sure which forum I should post this in but I'll try here first. I currectly looking at purchasing a new Jeep and I am going back and for over which vechile to get. I am looking at 05 and 06 WK with HEMI's and the new Wrangler unlimited with four doors. Just to give a little background I currently own a 97 limited which I can say has been the best vechile I have ever owned (178K on it).

I am in outside sales and will be doing alot of driving during the weekdays, during the weekends my family and I do alot driving off road.

What would you suggest as being the best fit for me, I know everyone will probably be pushing for the WK, but so I am, the other half likes the Wragnler better.

If I did go with the WK would you suggest staying away from the 05 becuase of it being a first year run. When I searched through the forums I didn't find many problems reported.

Smokestarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
T-Rated

The WK is a much cushier ride than the Unlimited, but the Unlimited will do better off road.

As for the year; the newer, the better.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
JPCCDD

also, wrangler is reciprocating ball steering, and wk is rack and pinion so on a long drive, your gonna love the precise control and feel from it. but like t-rated said, the unlimited will blow by the wk off-road so far its not even funny. But be serious with yourself. Are you gonna be offroad 50/50? Then get wrangler. 80/20? Get the wk. Its great offroad, just not for rock crawling or deep mud.
2006 Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD. Have most of the stock goodies. MODS: P255/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, Hitch, 1600 watt inverter, 6-disc in dash MP3 player, rescue equipment, k&N intake, jet chip stage 2, electric cut-out . On list: custom bumper protection, skid plates, and roof rack.
JPCCDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
jeep_on

I'm not a huge fan of either model Jeep. All though, I think I'm finally coming around to the boxed look of the WK. With that being said, get the WK. If you drive alot, the WK will do alot better. They ride like a catty, and handle like'em too.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

I bought an 05 GC Limited, 5.7 with 18K miles for $22K. I looked at the 07 Unlimited.. Sahara was like $28k with the Freedom top.. And it would not get out of its own way ! My 98 4.0 was way faster that that new 3.8 v6..

The way I see it.. $5K will get you all the lift and tires you could want for your new GC Hemi.

Grand Cherokee has far more safety features than the Unlimited.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriJeff
Grand Cherokee has far more safety features than the Unlimited.
That’s b/c the Grand weighs the same as the USS Enterprise… Oh wait, thats the XK my bad.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
goose1

first off: it is really up to you. a WK is a great vehicle for what it was designed for and the JKU is very versatile.

that being said, i've done the whole outside sales things once and i gotta say, a good riding vehicle is nothing to snub your noise at. a WK will win hands down in that department.

on the other hand, the JKU will definitely outshine the WK off-road. approach/departure/breakover angles are all better. but if the off-roading you are doing is mostly fun, not technical stuff, the i'm pretty sure the WK with a 2" BB will handle anything a JKU can do.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Smokestarter

Thanks for all the replies. I have to agree that the more I look the more I am swayed by prices, for the $20-23 I see alot of WK's and the Ulimited's are alot harder to find and most around $28-30.
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Smokestarter

So Close

Well I finally found a WK with the features I want and a price I like. I am picking up the GC this friday for a weekend testdrive to check everything out before I purchase it. I have read through the posts on the different issues that you guys have had, is their any things you can think of off hand I should look for? Also this seems like the best deal I can find, how does it sound to you guys?

2005 GC Limited with Hemi, 4X4, Moonroof, DVD player, Naviagation,Chrome wheels, and towing package with 32,000k for $20,500
Unread 05-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would do the following:

- Run the VIN through Jeep's website to see if there are any outstanding recalls. I think the only recall for the Hemi-engined models was to reprogram the computer so that the foglights shut off with the headlights when shutting off the engine while the headlights are in full auto mode. The site is at the following link, and the spot to enter the VIN is in the lower left hand side. http://www.jeep.com/owners/index.html

- With the build date in hand (found on the driver's door jamb I think), look over the following site for TSBs that might affect your Jeep, then keep those in mind when you drive it this weekend to see if anything there is an issue with yours. Link is here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm

- Common things to look for (that are covered under TSBs/recalls/satisfaction notices):
- fogs not shutting off as described above. Easy to check. Turn the headlights on to full auto mode, turn on the fogs, then shut the engine off. If your fogs are still on, your Jeep has not been reprogrammed.
- Delayed engagement of the transmission when the Jeep is stone cold. Easy to check. With the Jeep totally cold (left overnight is best), jump in, start the engine, and immediately put it in gear and step on the gas. If the revs rise and you sort of oooooooze forward, then the TSB has not been done. It doesn't hurt anything, and idling for 20-30 seconds will allow the torque converter to refill with fluid, so it's not a big deal. The repair is a relatively simple matter of replacing a couple of filters in the transmission...on some early build WKs, the anti-drainback valve in one of the filters is faulty and allows transmission fluid to drain out of the torque converter. Covered under a TSB.
- Check your radio reception. Some early build WKs have lousy radio reception...during assembly, some brass shavings got into an antennae connector and can screw up reception. The fix is installing some tape over the offending connector in the antennae wiring. Covered under a TSB.
- Check for a smelly AC unit, particularly after shutting the AC off but with the fan still on. Covered under a TSB...they basically set off a disinfectant/deoderizer bomb inside the vehicle and allow the AC to run for a long time on several different settings to try to kill any bacteria in the system.
- listen for a clicking in the steering wheel. The plastic part in the steering column that turns off your turn signals can get rough and cause a clicking sound. Covered under a TSB. Annoying yes, serious no.

None of those are serious, and all are covered under a TSB.

About the only other things that I can think of that are not covered by TSBs (yet) but some owners have noticed are the following:

- a surging under light(ish) throttle and moderate revs. Mine used to do this every now and then, but hasn't done it in several thousand miles...I've got about 13,400 miles now, and it stopped doing it around 7-8,000 miles. I kinda just chalk it up to a break-in thing.
- a slightly loose feeling in the front end accompanied by a little bit of a clunk over some bumps. Others here have found the outer sway bar link bushings to be the culprit...I guess the bushings just loosen up a bit. $18 part.

I think most here (myself included) have found it to be a reliable vehicle...some of the very early build models had some minor issues (described above), but nothing that would leave you stranded and cost you a boatload of money to fix. Mine is a very early build (October 2004), and has been very solid, reliable, and enjoyable.

Hope that helps.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.