Yet Another Issue... Transmission over temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Yet Another Issue... Transmission over temp

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Yet Another Issue... Transmission over temp

Hrmm, only a month in, and another issue with the Jeep. Hopefully the weird stuff stops so I can catch up with all the darn maintenance...

Anyways, major snow storm, drove around all over the place the last few weeks and stuff. Idled for long periods of time, no issues at all. Then tonight....

Sitting outside TGI Fridays, I randomly see "Transmission over temp" appear on my display. Weird I thought, then my engine begins to ramp up, going from 800 rpms to about 1200 while idling. I did nothing, just a loud noise like the fan was spinning really fast, but no hesitation or w/e while it idled. So, I shut it off for a few moments. Started it up after, no issues, weird. Popped up about 5 minutes after, while just idling. But again, no issues, and when I started driving home, it went away.

Got some new headlight bulbs, got home, had the truck running to keep it all nice and warm and went to work to change the bulbs. Took about 30 minutes, cause it was pretty dark and a wire was caught (go figure). During which, the message happened 3 times, and the fan ramped up each time.

Again, I jumped in the truck, drove off, nothing wrong. Had no issues with starting, had no hesitation. My transmission shifts pretty damn smooth I must say. What's weird?

Drive back home again, big accident, waited in traffic for 30 minutes with random movements forward. Message never came up, and it doesn't seem to show up while driving.

A lot of info, but... I searched the forums, and it seems no one has really given a solution. Everyone says they can't start up after or hear noise or have hesitation. I get none of that.

Sooooo, thoughts? Advice? I'll see if I can get any codes in the morning when I can get over to Autozone, but I was thinking about the sensors. Would those be sticking out UNDER the tranny? I ask cause I've driven in some nasty high snow lately, and I know my entire belly has pushed against snow and stuff. Just wondering if a sensor might have been busted if it sticks under the tranny...

And yes, nothing else to do on valentines day but mess with the jeep

Black WK Club #110
Tamerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Driving at sub-highway speeds, idling etc. causes heat build up. The transmission cools itself via the transmission cooler, which is in your engine compartment.

A radiator relies on it's cooling system to be supported via radiation/convection (I.E. your engine's fan). Your fan is hydraulic, being supported from the power steering pump.

A hydraulic pump that relies on a pulley system (I.E. engine belt) can only put out so much pressure at a given RPM. If it's pressure output is being exceeded, it needs to spin your engine faster to put out more pressure, to cool your transmission.

Long story short, just basing it off my general knowledge: Your transmission is trying to keep itself from overheating, and you turning off the vehicle is just causing it to overheat even more.

Also, your transmission fluid is ATF4(or should be). If you overheat it like any hydraulic fluid, it loses viscosity resulting in loss of lubrication, thus damage to the internals of your transmission. Overheating a fluid also causes oxidation, which in turn lowers the life of the fluid and again, it's cooling/lubrication capacity.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Hrmm,

Well the tranny fluid was replaced just 3 weeks ago at JiffyLube, with OEM fluids. And I only shut it down one when it gave me that message, all other times I made sure the message went away and the engine idled normal.

Wondering if anyone else has had this before, and if they found a fix yet. Most other forums didn't have resolutions, just suggestions from what other people thought.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Are the lines leaking? The whole problem as far as I can tell is the transmission is overheating, the only fix would be to cool it, or find out why it isn't being cooled properly.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

If you went to Jiffy Lube, you didn't get OEM fluids in your transmission. OEM would be Mopar ATF+4. You need to make sure they used some kind of ATF+4 when they did a fluid change. Also, you need to make sure they did a filter change when they were tinkering with your tranny. It sounds to me like you're not getting the circulation you need to effectively cool your system. I'd address this now if I were you, as things will only get worse as it gets warmer outside.

In the future, you need to stay away from quick lube shops for ANYTHING except oil changes, and even that is questionable. You're putting your vehicle in the hands of people who know nothing about your vehicle.
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
hulikner
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmatthews82 View Post
If you went to Jiffy Lube, you didn't get OEM fluids in your transmission. OEM would be Mopar ATF+4. You need to make sure they used some kind of ATF+4 when they did a fluid change. Also, you need to make sure they did a filter change when they were tinkering with your tranny. It sounds to me like you're not getting the circulation you need to effectively cool your system. I'd address this now if I were you, as things will only get worse as it gets warmer outside.

In the future, you need to stay away from quick lube shops for ANYTHING except oil changes, and even that is questionable. You're putting your vehicle in the hands of people who know nothing about your vehicle.
x100000

If you just had the fluid changed, I'd bet it's dealing with that. Check what they used/level/everything. Never ever trust anyone from a quick change.
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Hrmm,

Just double checked the paperwork, they actually didn't do the tranny. Pretty sure I told them too, but I don't see the charge, and it only says they checked the fluid level which was full. So looks like I'll be doing it myself when it warms up a little into the 50's here soon. For now, I'll just be sure to let the tranny cool down before shutting her off till I can change everything.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Soooo

I had my transmission fluid changed this weekend from a shop I trust, always did the work on all my past cars, no probs. I got the parts, and used Castrol AT4 fluids. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7027046 and did the filter and gasket. I didn't do a flush, only a change, cause I keep seeing people say flushes lead to problems.

Anyways, this damn message keeps popping up more and more. This time, it happened once while driving, and another when I was idling at the bank ATM. Hell, posts all over the internet say they get this message all the time, and have driven like 30k miles with no issues from their tranny. Rather get it fixed then just deal with the message and fan ramp up that happens every time I get the message.

Thoughts? Advice? One person said it was their TCM, but people keep saying the Hemi doesn't come with a TCM. So like I'm just confused to where I should start. A friend said I should replace my battery, cause there are a few times my truck won't start the first turn. I have to turn, try and fail, then turn off, then turn again and it starts right up with no problems.

About to have a trip down to NC straight, just looking for some advice.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

Sounds like it could be the battery. Vehicles do strange things when the voltage is subpar. Although, I've never had a bad battery give me transmission codes.
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulikner View Post
x100000

If you just had the fluid changed, I'd bet it's dealing with that. Check what they used/level/everything. Never ever trust anyone from a quick change.
Huge +1!!!

People rag on me at times for being a "dealership only" person, but this is why. A wiped out transmission is so much more expensive than a few years of maintenance service at a 25% markup.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think. I would verify that the plate cooler is okay in every way.
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
unobtanium
2010 WK 

How many miles total?
How frequent is your trans fluid changed?
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerin View Post
Soooo

I had my transmission fluid changed this weekend from a shop I trust, always did the work on all my past cars, no probs. I got the parts, and used Castrol AT4 fluids. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7027046 and did the filter and gasket. I didn't do a flush, only a change, cause I keep seeing people say flushes lead to problems.

Anyways, this damn message keeps popping up more and more. This time, it happened once while driving, and another when I was idling at the bank ATM. Hell, posts all over the internet say they get this message all the time, and have driven like 30k miles with no issues from their tranny. Rather get it fixed then just deal with the message and fan ramp up that happens every time I get the message.

Thoughts? Advice? One person said it was their TCM, but people keep saying the Hemi doesn't come with a TCM. So like I'm just confused to where I should start. A friend said I should replace my battery, cause there are a few times my truck won't start the first turn. I have to turn, try and fail, then turn off, then turn again and it starts right up with no problems.

About to have a trip down to NC straight, just looking for some advice.
The 545RFE definitely DOES have a TCM.It is seperate from but housed with the PCM so you have to change both at the same time if that becomes necessary . MOST of the people all over that have the trans over temp message , are having that show up erroneously , usually because of a software or sensor issue .There is a chance your transmission for whatever reason may actually be overheating . I would get your transmission temperature verified by a dealer or someone who can pull that data before you possibly do irrepairable dammage to your transmission. It may be something else like the temperature sensor itself , but why take that chance . just my .02
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Tdre977
2006 WK 

Had the same problem, 06 overland 5.7 40k miles, intermittent trans over temp, it would kick on at odd times, and the fan would kick on.
Brought it to the dealership under warranty, they replaced the tranny temp sensor, I assume they did fluids/filter while in there. Picked it up, drove maybe 5 miles and got the light again.
I brought it back and discussed the things I picked up researching it online myself, the battery/alternator, the re flashing of the TCM/ECU, the cooler line check valves and the harness where it meets the tranny, the second time I picked it up it never came back, don't know what, if anything they did to it the second time, but it hasn't come back on in over 8 months.

It was a pretty frustrating time.
Tdre977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.