XK - Rusted frame and rear axle repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
djmaro-76
2006 XK Commander 

XK - Rusted frame and rear axle repair

Hey Folks...
Have one issue left to address on my XK that's been bothering me for the past few years. The rear subframe and rear axle are thoroughly rusted.

It's totally visible by other drivers and just erks me.
Trying to think of options to resolve resolve this problem.

I researched potential covers to install over the frame but couldn't find anything prefab'd for the XK.

If I tackle this on my own it's going to be a huge pain. I'm really only concerned with the areas which are visible.

I take great care of my XK and detail it regularly. So I want something that won't look like junk and start peeling after a year or so.

A replacement subframe cost plus shipping is too expensive.

I'm in the Chicago area and would consider recommendations to have someone do the work for me. Send me a PM if you know someone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

It's just surface rust. Get under the Jeep with a wirewheel and/or some heavy grit sanding blocks/paper and put some elbowgrease to it. Prime it with some Rustoleum then paint it with some Rustoleum flat black.

It'll look as good as new.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
post #3 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Wire wheel and some wire brushes to get rid of the scale. Pressure washer to get it all clean. Let dry and hit with paint, just as mentioned above.

Next time you buy a vehicle that is rust free, get it oiled yearly so you don't have to deal with this problem because it WILL return on your Jeep. Just think what the inside of that subframe looks like...

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #4 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 PM
tom19511
2006 WK 

Or clean as above and use POR15 to paint.

Tom
tchristopher1@twc.com
2006 G.C.65th Anniv. Edition
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
djmaro-76
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the feedback.

Ya, the inside of the subframe is trashed.
I may or may not tackle this on my own. Still undecided.

If I give it a shot, I'll post some pics along the way. Not looking forward to this.

Still considering having someone do the job for me. That may be my best option because it would lessen down time without a vehicle.

Thanks again!!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Go to a local parts store and just spray some undercoating on it and you should be fine.

06 ROR lifted wk (mine)
07 RC lifted xk (wife's)
Youtube channel
Bumsmodified98xj
post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Forcus
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland-wk View Post
Go to a local parts store and just spray some undercoating on it and you should be fine.
Regular undercoating will cover it up but not stop the rust. BUT Eastwood has a combination rust converter / undercoating I'm going to try out on mine... also IL based. And a rust converter with hose for inside frame rails.

2005 Grand Cherokee 4x4
1974 International 100 4x4
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Forcus
2005 WK 

One more thing, I have "restored" several frames, axles, etc. with wire wheeling / blasting, a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then Rustoleum satin black. It works well and is exceptionally durable. I have a rolling chassis that has sat outside for a couple years now with no fading, rust break through, etc. What helps is the rusty metal primer is oily which I think helps keep the rust from coming back. I planned on doing this to my newly purchased WK but there are so many nooks and crannies, etc., that I won't be able to reach with a wire wheel (either 4.5" on an angle grinder, or small one on a die grinder) without major disassembly that I think I am going to use the spray converter / undercoating for most under-surfaces, and only do wire wheeling and primer / satin paint on the most exposed stuff - axle, axle links, and the rear "frame" rails that are very visible. And from experience, laying on your back wire wheeling for days is awful...! But cheap and doable in your driveway.

2005 Grand Cherokee 4x4
1974 International 100 4x4
post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 PM
omsok
Overland Prep
2007 WK 

Rear Sub Frame Rust clean up and paint undercoating

Hi:

I was also bothered by the surface rust, and deeper pitting rust on my rear subframe, so tackled it this weekend with a wire wheel, can of black rust paint, some surface prep, and Rock guard undercoating. My frame rails looked like yours, although not as heavily rusted, and I cleaned them up with a wire wheel. The body had some rust starting at joints and unions, which I also cleaned up and sprayed. You can see it by the grey and black. I just over-sprayed the grey with black pant and or undercoating. It is not a show vehicle, and I am trying to keep the weight down.

See finished photos.

You can see the heavier pitting near the bumper. That part was more rusted with most of the paint gone.

You may see rust still on the tow hitch and bolts. That is because I need to remove it and trim it for the larger spare. Also I removed the spare tire cable winch assembly, three 13 mm bolts, cleaned it up and painted it. It drops right out. I will lube it up and put it back.

Time: 2.5 hours
Cost $25 in material
Tools: Battery powered drill, wire wheel, paint, surface prep, rock guard undercoating,
PPE: Glasses, ear plugs, face mask for fumes and dust
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.