XK - Rusted frame and rear axle repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > XK - Rusted frame and rear axle repair

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 05-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
djmaro-76
2006 XK Commander 

XK - Rusted frame and rear axle repair

Hey Folks...
Have one issue left to address on my XK that's been bothering me for the past few years. The rear subframe and rear axle are thoroughly rusted.

It's totally visible by other drivers and just erks me.
Trying to think of options to resolve resolve this problem.

I researched potential covers to install over the frame but couldn't find anything prefab'd for the XK.

If I tackle this on my own it's going to be a huge pain. I'm really only concerned with the areas which are visible.

I take great care of my XK and detail it regularly. So I want something that won't look like junk and start peeling after a year or so.

A replacement subframe cost plus shipping is too expensive.

I'm in the Chicago area and would consider recommendations to have someone do the work for me. Send me a PM if you know someone.

djmaro-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

It's just surface rust. Get under the Jeep with a wirewheel and/or some heavy grit sanding blocks/paper and put some elbowgrease to it. Prime it with some Rustoleum then paint it with some Rustoleum flat black.

It'll look as good as new.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

Wire wheel and some wire brushes to get rid of the scale. Pressure washer to get it all clean. Let dry and hit with paint, just as mentioned above.

Next time you buy a vehicle that is rust free, get it oiled yearly so you don't have to deal with this problem because it WILL return on your Jeep. Just think what the inside of that subframe looks like...
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

Or clean as above and use POR15 to paint.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
djmaro-76
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the feedback.

Ya, the inside of the subframe is trashed.
I may or may not tackle this on my own. Still undecided.

If I give it a shot, I'll post some pics along the way. Not looking forward to this.

Still considering having someone do the job for me. That may be my best option because it would lessen down time without a vehicle.

Thanks again!!
djmaro-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Go to a local parts store and just spray some undercoating on it and you should be fine.
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Forcus
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland-wk View Post
Go to a local parts store and just spray some undercoating on it and you should be fine.
Regular undercoating will cover it up but not stop the rust. BUT Eastwood has a combination rust converter / undercoating I'm going to try out on mine... also IL based. And a rust converter with hose for inside frame rails.
Unread 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Forcus
2005 WK 

One more thing, I have "restored" several frames, axles, etc. with wire wheeling / blasting, a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then Rustoleum satin black. It works well and is exceptionally durable. I have a rolling chassis that has sat outside for a couple years now with no fading, rust break through, etc. What helps is the rusty metal primer is oily which I think helps keep the rust from coming back. I planned on doing this to my newly purchased WK but there are so many nooks and crannies, etc., that I won't be able to reach with a wire wheel (either 4.5" on an angle grinder, or small one on a die grinder) without major disassembly that I think I am going to use the spray converter / undercoating for most under-surfaces, and only do wire wheeling and primer / satin paint on the most exposed stuff - axle, axle links, and the rear "frame" rails that are very visible. And from experience, laying on your back wire wheeling for days is awful...! But cheap and doable in your driveway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.