XK lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > XK lift question

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
DRENNAN5

XK lift question

hey guys, thank you in advance for taking the time. I recently had a friend lift his JK rubi. He has a set of the 17in rubi wheels and 80% tread life on the BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires, size 255/75/17. my question is how much lift am I looking at needing for my 06 commander to get these under it? I see several spacer style kits anywhere from 1" to 3" heights. Keep in mind this is strictly mall crawl, looks only. He owes me some cash so this is an easy way to settle up, but I don't want to alter my XK too much or get to deep into pocket on a lift. I have a cut up 1 ton YJ that is my trail beater. Any thoughts/ideas please comment. I am totally lost on commander tech.
thanks, Russ Drennan

HP Ford 9(4.88/spool)
38x12.50 TSL
15x8 36 bolt MRT
front susp: SOA(buggy/reversal)
rear susp: 4 link, quarter elliptic
Ramsey 9k, full cage, fuel cell
DRENNAN5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Bchain5
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRENNAN5 View Post
hey guys, thank you in advance for taking the time. I recently had a friend lift his JK rubi. He has a set of the 17in rubi wheels and 80% tread life on the BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires, size 255/75/17. my question is how much lift am I looking at needing for my 06 commander to get these under it? I see several spacer style kits anywhere from 1" to 3" heights. Keep in mind this is strictly mall crawl, looks only. He owes me some cash so this is an easy way to settle up, but I don't want to alter my XK too much or get to deep into pocket on a lift. I have a cut up 1 ton YJ that is my trail beater. Any thoughts/ideas please comment. I am totally lost on commander tech.
thanks, Russ Drennan
You can either trim THE bolt and run stock. MAJOR RUB. Or you can go with a Rough Country lift for about $150 and get some spacers. Or you could go all the way with an OME 3in lift for about $800. I'm going with the Rough Country lift but the OME is definitely best way to go hands down
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
Bchain5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Rwwmoran918
2007 XK Commander 

I did the 255/75r17 from jeep rubi. I purchased lift and wheel spacers for less than 300. I also purchased new rear shocks to keep the factory stance. Not sure if this applies to all jeeps on this platform, but my jeep set higher in the front. The shocks cost less than 90 on amazon. monroe 58643. Hope this helps
20160126_170129_1454468567303.jpg  
Rwwmoran918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
DRENNAN5

thank you

the pic above is exactly what im looking to do. do you guys think I will be able to get away with just doing the 3inch spacer lift? it is under 200 and seems to be a weekend driveway install.
HP Ford 9(4.88/spool)
38x12.50 TSL
15x8 36 bolt MRT
front susp: SOA(buggy/reversal)
rear susp: 4 link, quarter elliptic
Ramsey 9k, full cage, fuel cell
DRENNAN5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
caulk04
2008 WK 

A typical spacer lift should suffice just fine. I imagine you'll need to do the pinch weld also (search pinch weld mod). Wheel spacers will also be needed to allow the tires to clear the upper ball joint. 1" is enough. The more spacer, the less clearance against the pinch weld.
Unread 02-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Rwwmoran918
2007 XK Commander 

If you add wheel spacers it gives the jeep a wider stance and you don't have to worry about grinding down the caliper or cutting the control arm bolt. As you can see by the pic... that's the setup I went with. Lift,spacers, and new rear shocks
Rwwmoran918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.