XK 3rd Row Seat Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > XK 3rd Row Seat Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
marka2k

2006 WK 

XK 3rd Row Seat Issue

06 Commander Limited drivers side third row seat will not unlatch the lever feels loose suspect problem with the lever or the cable that goes to the latch (if there is one) problem is I need to fold the seat to take the trim off so I can investigate. Is it possible to actuate the latch so I can fold the seat down? If so how do you do it when the lever does not work?

Thank you!

marka2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

I don't have much to give you, since my XK's seats go up and down fine, but I found this on the Commander forum:

Quote:
All, I doubt this will fix everyone's problem but I was prepared to take my 2010 Commander to a local shop to see what could be done, expecting to pay $300-500 for the fix.

PROBLEM
The seat was stuck in the upright position because the release lever seemed to just freely move back and forth. I tried getting a screwdriver in the latch with no luck - pretty tight design.

SOLUTION
While toiling over the seat, i notice the lever cap (small piece of plastic) was missing. Turns out it's NOT decorative but totally necessary for the lever to work!?!? I "popped" the cap off the other lever (which was working fine) and popped it on the end of the "broken" lever and BAM! Works totally fine like nothing was wrong.

Again, I'm sure there are several other failure mechanisms but I've seen others comment about the lever being broken and not releasing - so here's one fix to rule out.

-Mark

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
marka2k

2006 WK 

I bet that's what is wrong with mine the cap is missing I will give it a try.

Thank you for the reply!
marka2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
joyg

3rd row latch broken thank you!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! My third row has been stuck in up position since July! The dealership wouldn't even talk to me about putting it down for less than $100, and then upwards. IT WAS JUST THE LATCH COVER! What is that? A fifty cent piece!!! It worked! I pulled it off the working side, put it on the broken side, and WELLA, DOWN IT WENT! All I can say is thank you. This was a serious safety issue, complete blind side in the rear window, and I didn't have the money to fix it. The sad thing is, the dealership probably knew it, and didn't even care. I expressed the concern of not being able to see, it was a safety issue, they could of cared less. Thanks again!!!!! SHARING KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
joyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
IndustrialG33k
2006 XK Commander 

Cheap Fix

FWIW putting a penny in the slot seems to be a good temporary fix. It is not often you have a $0.01 repair!

Joe
IndustrialG33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
mmenta860

The penny trick worked. Any idea how much the actual cap costs or how available it is at the dealer?
mmenta860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
kirkross

The seat was stuck in the up position for months, the second time this has happened. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER. THE ISSUE IS THE CAP WHICH POPS OUT. FIND IT AND STICK IT BACK IN AND ALL YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED. the dealer could have told you this when you came in to have it fixed. crooked bast.......
kirkross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
jesimay1999
2006 XK Commander 

You are outstanding!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6 View Post
I don't have much to give you, since my XK's seats go up and down fine, but I found this on the Commander forum:

This totally fixed my problem!!! Thank you thank you thank you. You are outstanding!!!
jesimay1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.