Would a Tuner get me anywhere? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Would a Tuner get me anywhere?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
reldridg

Would a Tuner get me anywhere?

Hi there I have a 2005 Cherokee with a 5.7 it is all stock and I will keep it mostly that way. May go up 1 tire size I am at 245/65/17 right now and I am thinking on going up to 245/70 and maybe leveling our the front end rake.

I use the jeep as my DD and driving to our cabin in the mountains as well as towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer during the winter.

Of course I would like to increase gas mileage when a I can and then also get the power I want for towing.

Would there be anything to gain from going to a tuner for my setup?

When I bought it gas mileage was pretty poor but I have replaced the MAP and PCV, and have cleaned the throttle body. These have seemed to make a small difference. I will be replacing the EGR and plugs this week or next once the temp cools off some.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

reldridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I think over time a 1 - 2 - or 3 mpg improvement would pay for the cost of a Superchip programmer. I don't really know what you would see with your set-up but that is what most WK's see as far as improved fuel econ w/ oversized tires. So my guess is you would see larger gains.

Food for thought.........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
reldridg

That is kind of what I was thinking. If I could see a gain during my normal driving and then change the program if I need to tow something that would be great.

Do folks thing it is typical to maybe see a 2 mpg increase if driving normally with some of the programmers?
reldridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
JRLT
2010 WK 

Assuming your driving habits don't change. Tuners add that little bit to your response that make you want to quit driving like a grandma and that's what kills it in the long run. Watch your shift points too or just take notice of where it normally shifts on the tach and compare that with after you apply the tuner.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • SCT Tuner - WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (3 replies)
  • Tuner - WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (3 replies)
  • TV Tuner in WK - WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (9 replies)
  • Tuner gets hot - 95 ZJ - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.