Would a Tuner get me anywhere? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Would a Tuner get me anywhere?

Hi there I have a 2005 Cherokee with a 5.7 it is all stock and I will keep it mostly that way. May go up 1 tire size I am at 245/65/17 right now and I am thinking on going up to 245/70 and maybe leveling our the front end rake.

I use the jeep as my DD and driving to our cabin in the mountains as well as towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer during the winter.

Of course I would like to increase gas mileage when a I can and then also get the power I want for towing.

Would there be anything to gain from going to a tuner for my setup?

When I bought it gas mileage was pretty poor but I have replaced the MAP and PCV, and have cleaned the throttle body. These have seemed to make a small difference. I will be replacing the EGR and plugs this week or next once the temp cools off some.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Keep on Jeepin on........
I think over time a 1 - 2 - or 3 mpg improvement would pay for the cost of a Superchip programmer. I don't really know what you would see with your set-up but that is what most WK's see as far as improved fuel econ w/ oversized tires. So my guess is you would see larger gains.

Food for thought.........

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
That is kind of what I was thinking. If I could see a gain during my normal driving and then change the program if I need to tow something that would be great.

Do folks thing it is typical to maybe see a 2 mpg increase if driving normally with some of the programmers?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
2010 WK 
Assuming your driving habits don't change. Tuners add that little bit to your response that make you want to quit driving like a grandma and that's what kills it in the long run. Watch your shift points too or just take notice of where it normally shifts on the tach and compare that with after you apply the tuner.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.