Is it worth getting a diesel? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Is it worth getting a diesel?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #61
james_2k
2009 WK 

no it isnt. the 3.7 is almost 9 sec to 60. (8.8)

james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #62
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
no it isnt. the 3.7 is almost 9 sec to 60. (8.8)
I said the Pentastar (3.6l) in the WK2 with the 8 speed. So 2013+
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #63
james_2k
2009 WK 

im finding it very hard to find the specs for this. got a link?

i bet its not faster, and certainly not with a gde tune on the diesel.

it probably get good mpg though. i wish i had 8 gears
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #64
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
im finding it very hard to find the specs for this. got a link?

i bet its not faster, and certainly not with a gde tune on the diesel.

it probably get good mpg though. i wish i had 8 gears
According to Trucktrend, the Pentastar will do it in 7.7 seconds while the hemi takes 6.6 with the 8 speed.

http://trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/...sts/index.html

I've driven a 2011 grand Cherokee with the 3.6 and old 5 speed and it felt slower than our diesels, however.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #65
james_2k
2009 WK 

thanks for that.

i reckon at 7.7 it would be close.. but still hot/eco tune diesel would probably have it
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #66
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Drama! In stock form the MB CRD is slow! The Hemi is a full second faster, and that's the 330hp not the VVT 359hp/389tq. A 4.7l in a Commander (the heavy box) is 1/10th faster than a GC with a CRD. Look it up on car and driver.

As for dependability, the hemi and 4.7l have been around for years and proven their worth. Still trying the idea of a CRD in a jeep, maybe they will get it right one day.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #67
james_2k
2009 WK 

'get it right some day' stop trolling dude.

in tuned form the crd is (at least) just as fast as the hemi, and much more efficient. so what.
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #68
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k
'get it right some day' stop trolling dude. in tuned form the crd is (at least) just as fast as the hemi, and much more efficient. so what.
Key word "Tuned form". Its tough playing catch up! Especially when it's being compared to a stock motor which costs less!

Let's do some simple math...

$3700 CRD upgrade
+
.13 cents workaround to keep it running instead of spending thousands to properly fix swirl motor (if you got if fixed properly like it was ment to operate add $2-3k. WOW!!!!)
+
$685 for a tuner
=
Realizing you just achieved Hemi performance= PRICELESS (especially when they where giving Hemi upgrades for FREE at certain times)!

So now that it's on par with a 5.7l how long will it take to recouped that $4385.13 initial cost in fuel saving????
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #69
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I thought it was pretty easy to load a tune! And the extra cost was well worth the extra fuel mileage.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #70
james_2k
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Key word "Tuned form". Its tough playing catch up! Especially when it's being compared to a stock motor which costs less!
haha. keep trying bud. keep trying.

took all of 2 minutes to lead up the jeep with it. job done.
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #71
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Drama! In stock form the MB CRD is slow! The Hemi is a full second faster, and that's the 330hp not the VVT 359hp/389tq. A 4.7l in a Commander (the heavy box) is 1/10th faster than a GC with a CRD. Look it up on car and driver.

As for dependability, the hemi and 4.7l have been around for years and proven their worth. Still trying the idea of a CRD in a jeep, maybe they will get it right one day.
Apparently the Dodge Sprinter, WK, XK, 300 all came with a 3.0 v6 CRD ROW for 5+ years (as well as many mercedes benz platforms - ML class, R Class, S Class, E Class) so you are definitely wrong that it doesn't work and Jeep or Daimler gave up on it.

As you continue to be ignorant of why in the US they stopped selling the WK CRD and base your opinion on an inference that they stopped the WK CRD in 2009 as your proof (that came to light in another thread). So I'll summarize it again to those who care about facts and not biased opinions: the CRD was no longer in the WK was because of the breakup of daimler and chrysler and the changing Fed and State emissions for diesels.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #72
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
Apparently the Dodge Sprinter, WK, XK, 300 all came with a 3.0 v6 CRD ROW for 5+ years (as well as many mercedes benz platforms - ML class, R Class, S Class, E Class) so you are definitely wrong that it doesn't work and Jeep or Daimler gave up on it. As you continue to be ignorant of why in the US they stopped selling the WK CRD and base your opinion on an inference that they stopped the WK CRD in 2009 as your proof (that came to light in another thread). So I'll summarize it again to those who care about facts and not biased opinions: the CRD was no longer in the WK was because of the breakup of daimler and chrysler and the changing Fed and State emissions for diesels.
Some what true. In 2007 "Daimler pays to dump Chrysler" (CNN money article) but the CRD is still used in Chrysler vehicles until 2010 outside the US. So saying that it was due to the breakup is entirely not true.

In 2006 a GC Bluetech CRD was introduced as a concept. "The DaimlerChrysler BLUETEC technology will be capable of producing the cleanest diesel vehicles in the world. These next-generation innovations have the potential to meet the most stringent emissions regulations worldwide, including emissions standards in all 50 U.S. states."

(http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/a...s_release.html)

So the research was done and they knew what they needed to do. But for some reason the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and they Chrysler didn't pursue. Instead they developed another CRD (VM) when the R&D was already done on the MB CRD to meet the standard.

So with that being said it appears that it wasn't suitable for use in this application or any other Chrysler application. Was it due to the cost that MB required for use or performance, we shall never know. But one thing stands true! One engine has stood the test of time in a GC, and it isn't a CRD.

There's the fact. CRD was DOA.
Unread 02-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #73
james_2k
2009 WK 

Quote:
But one thing stands true! One engine has stood the test of time in a GC, and it isn't a CRD.

nor was the 5.7

but to be honest id have the 3.7 gas in a GC over a 5.7 xk any day of the week.
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #74
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

They likely changed mills because of the Fiat buyout. Fiat owns all of VM now; they purchased the remaining 50% stake from GM late last year. Why pay MB for the OM642 when they can now make one more or less in-house? I'm partial because I really like MB diesel powerplants (see my handle). The OM642 is a very proven engine in many other applications. MB Sprinters are being beat to hell around here on a daily basis in ambulance service and with UPS and FedEx. The numbers just continue to grow. Not to mention all the MB vehicles using it; I see more ML CDI/Bluetecs around here than I do gassers.

I'm going to wait a few years on the new VM engine to make sure it's good...the last venture Jeep had with VM wasn't exactly stellar. If they work out I'll likely eventually be in a diesel WK2.

It's all about what you prefer and how you plan to use it. Hemi's have their issues as well.
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #75
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Some what true. In 2007 "Daimler pays to dump Chrysler" (CNN money article) but the CRD is still used in Chrysler vehicles until 2010 outside the US. So saying that it was due to the breakup is entirely not true.

In 2006 a GC Bluetech CRD was introduced as a concept. "The DaimlerChrysler BLUETEC technology will be capable of producing the cleanest diesel vehicles in the world. These next-generation innovations have the potential to meet the most stringent emissions regulations worldwide, including emissions standards in all 50 U.S. states."

(http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/a...s_release.html)

So the research was done and they knew what they needed to do. But for some reason the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and they Chrysler didn't pursue. Instead they developed another CRD (VM) when the R&D was already done on the MB CRD to meet the standard.

So with that being said it appears that it wasn't suitable for use in this application or any other Chrysler application. Was it due to the cost that MB required for use or performance, we shall never know. But one thing stands true! One engine has stood the test of time in a GC, and it isn't a CRD.

There's the fact. CRD was DOA.
Nothing stated here means anything. In fact it's all assumptions you made up and you know what assume means.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice , diesel , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.