Is it worth getting a diesel? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Is it worth getting a diesel?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I vote Diesel

Since I tow an RV around a lot, I vote go for the diesel.

I have an 07 CRD and have had the swirl experience, and replaced on glow plug, and I am about to dig into a turbo actuator issue. That's about it. The swirl fix is easily resolved now. The glow plug cost me $37.00 and 1/2 hour of my labor. I just ordered a turbo actuator for $300.00....we'll see how that goes.

If you have a dealer do repairs....it is big $$$$$$$. They want $7000 parts and labor to replace a turbo and will not do just the actuator.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk View Post
So it seems that it's 7 to 2 in favor of the diesel so far.

I'm willing to tinker with the engine but I haven't done much of that in the past. Is this a good engine to learn on or is it just too complicated?

I've only seen a few CRDs for sale, so if I go this route I guess I'll be looking for a long while.

Thanks again for all the advice.
There are 2 within 60 miles it appears. Check autotrader. Next you need to find and speak to the CJD dealerships near you and talk to their diesel tech about how many he has/had serviced.
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
spennerus

I'll say that I love our WK with the Hemi. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. And I'd bet overall running costs are about the same between the two. Hemi parts will be cheaper/readily available and finding someone to service it will be easier. You may save a little money with the CRD if you keep it for a long time. If you're towing heavy loads often, then crd is probably better, but for me the hemi has plenty of power to tow as much as I'm comfortable towing with the wk. Just try and decide which Pros and Cons are most important to you.
spennerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
mycos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk View Post
I'm looking to get a WK and I'm curious about going the diesel route. My goal for the vehicle is to make it a daily driver that I can still take on the trails. Nothing too crazy, but adding a winch, lift, and tires is definitely in the plans.

I like the idea of getting better mileage and torque from a diesel, but I'm wondering how expensive these are to repair. I'm looking at '07 or '08 vehicle. A friend of mine had the diesel Liberty and ultimately got rid of it because how expensive it was to repair. He said that there were so few made that the parts were crazy expensive when they could even find them.

So maybe it's better to go for the v6 or v8 and just deal with the mileage penalty.

I'd appreciate any advice and excuse me if this question has been asked a million times before, I just joined this forum.

Over here in the uk there really isn't much of a decision to make due to the cost of petrol (gas) vs diesel.

I've a 2007 wk crd with 50k miles on the clock of which I've done circa 20k only issue I've had was with the 4wd low range actuator going on the blink but that's nothing to do with the engine itself. I can honestly say that in diesel form it's no slouch as it produces peak torque at 1800rpm which makes for effortless driving.

I'd recommend you test drive both options and make your choice that way.

Good luck and which ever you choose it will be a great choice of truck.

mycos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
willyok
2008 WK 

It took me about 7 months to find my CRD. I ended up finding it in arizona a little over 400 miles away. I am very happy with it so far. I jus took a road trip and got a high of 25.6mpg. Ive put around 5k miles on it so far and no problems related to the engine yet (knock on wood) It is actually in the shop right now getting the shocks and struts replaced and the 4wd repaired. (all under warranty)

Will
willyok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #21
816jared
2005 WK 

It really boils down to how much you plan on driving. I did some math a few days ago and it would be something like $700/year in fuel savings if I drove 15k miles/year. (16mpg vs 23mpg) I don't drive 15k+ miles/year, so I don't really see the value myself.

Another thing people will argue is the longevity of the CRD vs everything else. They just need to stop. There are people with 300k+ on the gas motors in their WK with no major repairs. Do you really plan on driving your Jeep that long?
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #22
james_2k
2009 WK 

well on average diesel engines last longer than gas ones.. doesnt matter if a few people have high miles. the average is what counts really.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #23
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
It really boils down to how much you plan on driving. I did some math a few days ago and it would be something like $700/year in fuel savings if I drove 15k miles/year. (16mpg vs 23mpg) I don't drive 15k+ miles/year, so I don't really see the value myself.

Another thing people will argue is the longevity of the CRD vs everything else. They just need to stop. There are people with 300k+ on the gas motors in their WK with no major repairs. Do you really plan on driving your Jeep that long?
That's exactly my thoughts on it. I've never done the math, but I am curious if the mileage savings outweigh the nearly twice as expensive oil changes though. (I change mine at 6-7k miles to be 100% safe, I've never had it tested but really should)

My first year with my CRD I put 31k miles on it, so I think I probably broke even. I haven't had any trouble with the engine at all. It's got gobs of torque and is a blast to drive. I'm now at 100,300 miles (bought it a little over a year ago with 60.5k)

My only qualms are the transmission, which I feel is hit or miss with shift quality (but I also just hate automatics in general. I wish I could put a standard in this thing without spending ungodly amounts of money...)

There were only 3 CRDs in a 400 miles radius from me when I was looking. I looked at one that seemed to have something wrong with it (super high backpressure it seemed, probably a clogged DPF) and then the second one I looked at was mint. I drove from CT to New Hampshire for it.

The other thing I like about diesels are that yes, you spend more money on fuel, but if you had a gas engine with as much torque you'd be most likely be paying for 93 octane gasoline anyways which makes the fuel cost difference much closer anyways. (aside from the ecoboost f150 which runs on 87... direct injection is amazing) Diesel can make way more power straight outta the pump.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
fatso
2005 WK 

I love diesels but don't think I'd drive a grand cherokee with one. I had a 2002 duramax before my Jeep and had the injectors on it fail. Naturally, they failed months after their special warranty ended. Needless to say, $3000 later I sold it because I couldn't stomach the thought of it happening again, which it could at any time, I learned after spending countless hours on duramaxforum.com.

With that being said, I loved my duramax. 18mpg in town and 20-22 on the highway. I never used it for towing or anything, it just didn't make sense to me to buy a 1/2 ton truck and get 12mpg without diesel capability. It had gobs of power and was effortless to drive. Driving my V6 gasser feels super underpowered now. If diesel wasn't 75 to 90 cents more expensive than gas here, I'd go the diesel route again. It just happens come tax time you can always count on another 5 a gal no matter what. I can't support that anymore.

Long story short, if diesel in your area is within 30 cents of gas. Do it.
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I love my Diesel's and would never buy a Jeep without one.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #26
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I love diesels but don't think I'd drive a grand cherokee with one. I had a 2002 duramax before my Jeep and had the injectors on it fail. Naturally, they failed months after their special warranty ended. Needless to say, $3000 later I sold it because I couldn't stomach the thought of it happening again, which it could at any time, I learned after spending countless hours on duramaxforum.com.

With that being said, I loved my duramax. 18mpg in town and 20-22 on the highway. I never used it for towing or anything, it just didn't make sense to me to buy a 1/2 ton truck and get 12mpg without diesel capability. It had gobs of power and was effortless to drive. Driving my V6 gasser feels super underpowered now. If diesel wasn't 75 to 90 cents more expensive than gas here, I'd go the diesel route again. It just happens come tax time you can always count on another 5 a gal no matter what. I can't support that anymore.

Long story short, if diesel in your area is within 30 cents of gas. Do it.
Did you buy that duramax new or had you just not researched it much before buying it used? The LB7s were notorious for injector problems and a huge pain in the *** to change them on. The ones after the lb7 had less injector problems and easier to change if a failure was to happen. (as I'm sure you now know... lol) I was thinking about getting rid of my WK for a crew cab LBZ or an LLY duramax but decided against it for money reasons.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to throw that in there.

I'm still hoping for that whole 'it's expected this 3.0 engine goes 200,000 miles in a delivery van before a rebuild' stands true for my jeep.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #27
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:

What gets me is people who argue this same topic. It costs more to buy a diesel and it'll take me 3 years to break even then they never consider what they'd get reselling it but consider this:
- higher purchase price but higher resale or trade in value (yep you'll get most of that back when you want to sell it)
- you don't have to stop as often for fuel (that is something I love as on long trips we can stop for lunch and sightseeing instead of gas stations to fill up and eat whatever greasy fare they sell)
- if you load up the WK or use it to tow the mpg is around 50% better as the diesel doesn't have to rev to the stratosphere to keep moving all that heavy weight
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
VA_CRD
2007 WK 

I have only had my 07 CRD for a short time now and I love it. Can't imagine not getting the diesel over the gas. Average 27 on the highway and 24 around town without a tune. Amazing vehicle.
VA_CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
What gets me is people who argue this same topic. It costs more to buy a diesel and it'll take me 3 years to break even then they never consider what they'd get reselling it but consider this:
- higher purchase price but higher resale or trade in value (yep you'll get most of that back when you want to sell it)
- you don't have to stop as often for fuel (that is something I love as on long trips we can stop for lunch and sightseeing instead of gas stations to fill up and eat whatever greasy fare they sell)
- if you load up the WK or use it to tow the mpg is around 50% better as the diesel doesn't have to rev to the stratosphere to keep moving all that heavy weight
3 years?! Obviously the math works out differently the more you drive, but at $700/year in fuel savings you're looking at something closer to 6-7 years at 15k miles per year before there is a break even. So I'd guess something like 4-5 years before the depreciation factor comes into play?

The other two points are very valid. But those are things that are pretty relative to what the vehicle is going to be used for. What if somebody only plans on driving 10k miles/year and do no towing? Could you still argue that a CRD is a better option?
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
3 years?! Obviously the math works out differently the more you drive, but at $700/year in fuel savings you're looking at something closer to 6-7 years at 15k miles per year before there is a break even. So I'd guess something like 4-5 years before the depreciation factor comes into play?

The other two points are very valid. But those are things that are pretty relative to what the vehicle is going to be used for. What if somebody only plans on driving 10k miles/year and do no towing? Could you still argue that a CRD is a better option?
It also depends on how you use the vehicle. If you bought a WK to use as a car and idle around making shopping trips and putting lower mileage on it. Get a gas model as the up front purchase cost is much less and you won't drive it hard and a gas engine can lug around low and get decent mileage.

If you drive it hard and put on a lot of miles city or highway and often go faster than the speed limit (these have terrible aero); use it for off roading (diesels are perfect for slippery conditions - especially snow - as they don't like to sprint the rev range but rather give a lot of twist without a lot of RPM); load it up with gear or use it to tow, then a diesel makes sense as it can get 50% better real world mpg than the v6 (will work really hard) or hemi (will work hard). The physics is that you can get max torque at 1,800 rpm to 3,600 rpm where the gas engines need almost 2x the rpms to give its best power. That's 2x the injection cycles with a fuel that has less energy density than diesel. It is not surprising that CRDs can get low 20's mpg towing small trailers - I normally get 19-20 mpg towing an open trailer with racecar and tire rack on it (about 4,000 lbs trailer / gear total).

The drawback is the issues CRDs have from cobbled together emissions equipment added and some Chrysler reliability issues and not CRD specific (4wd solenoids go out, crank sensor, PCM or ECM module, transmission issues, differential problems). The CRD you have to be more educated in order to own one without getting taken to the cleaners by a shop if you have a known problem (and this site is a great resource to find this information).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice , diesel , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.