Wk Turn Signal LED Load resistor Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wk Turn Signal LED Load resistor Install

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Wk Turn Signal LED Load resistor Install

Hey guys just got my turn signal LEDS in the mail. I also got 2 Load resistors one for each bulb. I have searched but cannot find Any write ups about installing. I am wondering do I need 2 Resistors for each bulb? I saw I need to work with the Green wire and the Black wire. Obviously Black is ground and the other is what powers the turn signal.

My question is how do I install the Load resistors? Does one end of the Black get connected to one end of the resistor and the other goes toward the bulb?
Or does one of the green goto the resistor and one of the black go to the resistor?

I dont wanna start cutting and soldering wires till I know exactly where they go. Thank you guys. Was gunna do this today, take pics and make a write up for anyone who needs it.

KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Found this pic on V-Leds site, I wonder if it is what I need to do.

Unread 03-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Thats what I did on mine, but don't cut and solder wires. Just use those connectors like they used in that picture.

In my case I put the LED turn bulbs in and wired it like that and it worked. There was no more fast blinking. But I was very upset to find out that my regular bulb on the opposite side was brighter than the new LED bulb. So I took everything out and said screw it. But maybe I had cheap bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-3157-3156...item5d43e33050

Those are the ones that I bought. Figured they HAD to be much brighter than the stock bulbs. But they weren't. I even had my wife come out and confirm that my stock bulbs were a tad bit brighter.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Here is what I bought. Some Cheapie LEDs from a supplier off the Bay. Guy said they are 9watts per bulb. 18 LEDS per bulb RED Color

Unread 03-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Thats what I did on mine, but don't cut and solder wires. Just use those connectors like they used in that picture.

In my case I put the LED turn bulbs in and wired it like that and it worked. There was no more fast blinking. But I was very upset to find out that my regular bulb on the opposite side was brighter than the new LED bulb. So I took everything out and said screw it. But maybe I had cheap bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-3157-3156...item5d43e33050

Those are the ones that I bought. Figured they HAD to be much brighter than the stock bulbs. But they weren't. I even had my wife come out and confirm that my stock bulbs were a tad bit brighter.
Wow really that is crazy that the stocks were brighter. Im wondering now did I make a mistake and get these cheapie LED bulbs??!?!?!?!!!!
Unread 03-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
Wow really that is crazy that the stocks were brighter. Im wondering now did I make a mistake and get these cheapie LED bulbs??!?!?!?!!!!
You got red? So your doing your rears?

I had yellow, I was doing my front turn signal. When I did my custom headlights, I painted my turn signal reflector black. The turn signal is still visible, but sometimes depending on the lighting, they can be hard to see. So I wanted to get these led turn signals with the forward facing "projector" style bulbs. But they didn't help at all.

I would still try it if I were you. Those splices make it really easy to install. The hardest part is finding a good metal mounting point for the resistor. You shouldn't put it on soft plastics because it gets really hot and can melt stuff. Just install one side and see if its brighter than the other.

Actually, you could install one side right now without a resistor and see if its brighter than the other. It should still work, but it will just blink really fast as if the bulb was out. That is what the resistor is suppose to fix.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
You got red? So your doing your rears?

I had yellow, I was doing my front turn signal. When I did my custom headlights, I painted my turn signal reflector black. The turn signal is still visible, but sometimes depending on the lighting, they can be hard to see. So I wanted to get these led turn signals with the forward facing "projector" style bulbs. But they didn't help at all.

I would still try it if I were you. Those splices make it really easy to install. The hardest part is finding a good metal mounting point for the resistor. You shouldn't put it on soft plastics because it gets really hot and can melt stuff. Just install one side and see if its brighter than the other.

Actually, you could install one side right now without a resistor and see if its brighter than the other. It should still work, but it will just blink really fast as if the bulb was out. That is what the resistor is suppose to fix.
No Im doing the fronts, I got red. Thought it look cooler, Dont think Id get a ticket for them, or well I hope not hahaha. They are only on when you put ur signal on I believe right?

Will test this out after I take my daughter to this Egg Hunt hehehe.
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:

No Im doing the fronts, I got red. Thought it look cooler, Dont think Id get a ticket for them, or well I hope not hahaha. They are only on when you put ur signal on I believe right?

Will test this out after I take my daughter to this Egg Hunt hehehe.
The front turn signal is on whenever your running lights or headlights are on. The only time they aren't on is when all the lights are off.

They stay on with running lights, then when you use a blinkered the one side will blink brighter than normal.

So you will have red on at all times. Risky. Lol
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
The front turn signal is on whenever your running lights or headlights are on. The only time they aren't on is when all the lights are off.

They stay on with running lights, then when you use a blinkered the one side will blink brighter than normal.

So you will have red on at all times. Risky. Lol
Ahhh I hear yah. Well I mean I see guys with Blue, Green or Red Fog Lights all the time here in NY. I have seem some cars with red Turn signals so I thought hey why not Red. If I get a ticket then I will go with White, amber is just BLLAHHH

I just am hoping these 5 dollar Ebay specials are any good.
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
robpp

in colorado red or blue on front you can get arrested for impersonating a police officer/

i had green and got a $90 ticket.

good luck with red.

you need 3ohm resistors for the front. 6 ohm for the rear.

and an 06 you have 2 rear bulbs. One is a CK type and the other std 3157.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
in colorado red or blue on front you can get arrested for impersonating a police officer/

i had green and got a $90 ticket.

good luck with red.

you need 3ohm resistors for the front. 6 ohm for the rear.

and an 06 you have 2 rear bulbs. One is a CK type and the other std 3157.
Hehehe I'll try my luck till I do get stopped hehehe

as for the load resister I got 6 ohm 50w hope that it is ok. really don't wanna have to ship back.
Unread 03-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:

Hehehe I'll try my luck till I do get stopped hehehe

as for the load resister I got 6 ohm 50w hope that it is ok. really don't wanna have to ship back.
I don't know man,
When I was 18 and dumb, I was driving in the passenger seat of my girlfriend's car pointing a blue laser pointer out the window. I wasn't pointing it at cars, but pointing it at fields next to us (it was more of a country road, 2 lane)

I shined it out of the front windshield a few times but off to the right towards the fields.

It was snowing and I was dumb and wasn't thinking that she had her windshield wipers on, and so to opposing traffic it looked like a flashing blue light every time the wiper crossed the laser.

I noticed a car pulled over and made a u-turn behind us. The car followed us all the way into my sister's driveway. It wasn't a cop car, just a normal car. The guy gets out and starts walking up to us, and of course I was freaking out that it was a just a pissed off person. Turned out to be an off duty cop. Asked for my license etc and told me that he was on the phone with the police department getting ready to send a squad car to come arrest me if I wouldn't have stopped at my sister's.

He wrote me up for impersonating a police officer and told me that I would get a court date and most likely get charged a misdemeanor and possibly a felony depending on the judges ruling.

I couldn't believe it, I was freaking out. I meant no harm by using the laser, I was just dumb an naive. I got my parents and we drove to the police station. And after about an hour of explaining to them what had happened and how I didn't mean to impersonate an officer and pretty much pleading with them not to ruin my life with a felony. The officer changed it to a ticket for "driving with unauthorized lights" and let me off. No court date or any misdemeanor or felony. Just $180 ticket.

So yea, I wouldn't mess with red or blue personally.
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
I don't know man,
When I was 18 and dumb, I was driving in the passenger seat of my girlfriend's car pointing a blue laser pointer out the window. I wasn't pointing it at cars, but pointing it at fields next to us (it was more of a country road, 2 lane)

I shined it out of the front windshield a few times but off to the right towards the fields.

It was snowing and I was dumb and wasn't thinking that she had her windshield wipers on, and so to opposing traffic it looked like a flashing blue light every time the wiper crossed the laser.

I noticed a car pulled over and made a u-turn behind us. The car followed us all the way into my sister's driveway. It wasn't a cop car, just a normal car. The guy gets out and starts walking up to us, and of course I was freaking out that it was a just a pissed off person. Turned out to be an off duty cop. Asked for my license etc and told me that he was on the phone with the police department getting ready to send a squad car to come arrest me if I wouldn't have stopped at my sister's.

He wrote me up for impersonating a police officer and told me that I would get a court date and most likely get charged a misdemeanor and possibly a felony depending on the judges ruling.

I couldn't believe it, I was freaking out. I meant no harm by using the laser, I was just dumb an naive. I got my parents and we drove to the police station. And after about an hour of explaining to them what had happened and how I didn't mean to impersonate an officer and pretty much pleading with them not to ruin my life with a felony. The officer changed it to a ticket for "driving with unauthorized lights" and let me off. No court date or any misdemeanor or felony. Just $180 ticket.

So yea, I wouldn't mess with red or blue personally.
Now that is some ****. Back in the day we used to put the leds where the wiper washer fluid came out. I had a celica gts turbo and had blue leds there, always got pulled over and such. But HeY im gunna risk it and try these Red LEDS out. But Im just hoping they are bright enough hehe
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Well Just came in from the Truck. I took out the old Bulb and just put in the LED bulb. Had Hyper flash on the dashboard my GF said. But the Bulbs would not light up. I tryed each way possible with both bulbs and they did not turn on at all. And I know about the Polarity has to be one way, but I got nothing.
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

OK Guys, Well I had some issues with the Bulbs. The seller said I had to bend the prongs on the damn clip to match my stock ones. So I did, And I got the bulb to light up.

BUUUTTTT... When I was installing something went wrong. I Kinda pulled on the pigtail to raise it to the top of the engine bay. Got it to where I wanted. And then the side turn signal stopped flashing. Im like okkkkkk So I put the original Amber bulb in and nothing. But the Rear was flashing. I then inspected the fuses under the hood and they were all intact. I then check out my lights, makre sure they all worked. And they did, ANd then The amber bulb lit up as I put parking Lights on. Soooo WHat gives?? What did I do or what is causing the Left Turn signal to not work, but the right one works fine?( I didnt touch the right side)

Well Here are a few shots of the Bulb installed and a Comparison shot Of the Red Vs the Amber. Lemme know what you guys think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.