WK threw 4 CODES!!! HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK threw 4 CODES!!! HELP!!!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
bwiggins1985

WK threw 4 CODES!!! HELP!!!

I was driving to lunch today...with clients of course... and the 4 cylinders with the MDS decided to not turn back on...great! It was awesome So I took it to the local mechanic and 4 codes! Code P3449, P3441, P3425, P3701

I have them running a diagnostic on the Jeep in the morning. This really sucks...only had the Jeep for like 2 weeks.

I also talked to the mechanic about the clicking and etc...He informed me that the hemi engines are very bad with the valves and their seat. Apparently the seat will break and cause slack in the rocker which causes the slap/tick noise. I am wondering if I got new heads if it will eliminate this problem. I also have talked to a guy with Diablo Sport about a custom tune and I think he said he could write a tune that would cut out the MDS.

Has anyone done the MDS delete in their tune? Has anyone ran into these codes? Has anyone replaces the heads on their WK?

bwiggins1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I turned off the MDS on my charger. You don't need a custom tune. It's an option when you go through the menu
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

One click to the left with the autostick also turns MDS off . If you have an 05 or an early 06 that will put you in 4th which is probably not how you want to drive around all the time , but in the 06.5 + the shift to the left leaaves you in 5th and only turns mds off (might also unlock the torque converter) . Again may not be a forever thing , but if the mds solenoids are throwing a fit , it may do you temp . Also unless you already have the diablosport , I believe the superchips is cheaper and has the ability to turn MDS off .
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

See my response over at JU. Here's further info. on the MDS solenoid wiring into the PCM.....the No. 1 MDS solenoid goes into the C-3 plug, the No. 4 solenoid goes into the C-1 plug, the No. 6 solenoid goes into the C-2 plug, and the No. 7 solenoid goes into the C-3 plug. At the engine they are in a common loom going into the back of the engine and to the solenoids.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
OTownDaddy
2007 XK Commander 

I have the exact same issue: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/5...t-mds-1532292/

Annoying.
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
bwiggins1985

So when I am looking for the mds wire harness I would have to look under the intake manifold correct? Does anyone have any instructions as to what I need to do to get the manifold off? Anything special?
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
OTownDaddy
2007 XK Commander 

I'm in the same boat - wondering the same thing myself. Once it get it off, I'd like to see the ground wire running back to the PCM (I've read this tends to be a source of issues)

However, using the stick to disable does not necessarily fix the issue (turning off MDS). If you have faulty solenoids, they can still cause issues even if the MDS is off, depending on what the issue is and how it is affecting the PCM. Selonoids going bad can still cause rough and funky running even if you have "turned off" MDS.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

It'll certainly be interesting when you guys get to the bottom of this issue. I've never heard of an MDS Solenoid failure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've heard of several being broken when trying to remove them though.

I, personally, wouldn't start ripping the intake manifold off until I've explored all the external components/wiring in the system. If all that checks good, and that's the last option, off it comes. I'd be surprised if it's something in there.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
bwiggins1985

That's what I am trying to figure out... Where the harness is so I can check the wiring and see if there was a broken or frayed wire. I was also going to check all the ground wires and make sure they had a good connection. I just don't know where to start looking. I think I am going to buy a Chilton book to find where this stuff is at lol. I don't know if it would have all the info I need though...
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Let me see if I can find anything out about harness location. My guess is back of engine, just below the intake manifold and heads straight to the PCM/TCM.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
bwiggins1985

If that's the case how can you reach it? Any suggestions on how to get to it to check?
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Let me see if I can find anything out about harness location. My guess is back of engine, just below the intake manifold and heads straight to the PCM/TCM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggins1985 View Post
If that's the case how can you reach it? Any suggestions on how to get to it to check?
Correct. Runs out underneath, then into the wiring loom. Nothing to get at easily from what I can tell.

If you can get a PID reader, there are Chrysler-specific PID's for looking the MDS solenoids. My DashDAQ XL will do it, but I do not know if there any others that will (besides Chrysler StarScan). [BTW: PID's are different from DTC's. PID's are Parameter ID's and are the values that are sent through the OBD-II connector. DTC's are the Diagnostic Trouble Codes that the PCM sets when it sees a parameter outside of the pre-set specification limit.]
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
bwiggins1985

Where could I get the PID reader? Do you know where I could find a diagram of the wiring harness?
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

As I thought, and Walt confirmed, the MDS wires do indeed come out the back. The guy I talked to said the intake comes off fairly easily and you may not even have to disconnect the fuel line. He thought you could just loosen the bolts and gently move it out of the way enough so you can examine the wiring. If you do remove the fuel line though, do it per the FSM to avoid problems. Also, they guy I talked to said he had had rodents chewing on his wiring, but don't know if it caused him any serious problems. Apparently there are some nice places for them to build their nests.
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
bwiggins1985

Okay thank you! I will take the intake off this weekend and clean it out really well too. If the throttle body looked that way it is probably very dirty as well. How do you take that cross bar off? I haven't even really looked at it to be honest. I will be able to see how dirty the combustion chamber is also...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.