Wk sunroof - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wk sunroof

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
kaykim1213
2011 WK 

Wk sunroof

My WK's sunroof vent's and closes, it just wouldn't open.
When I press the open button it'll tilt up but won't slide back.
I read some other post's online saying that I would have to take out the headliners and the glass, but I couldn't find a specific instruction for it.
This is my first time ever having a car and trying to fix a car, I'm not familiar with technical words either. So if someone can explain it easily it would be grateful.
Thanks.

kaykim1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
modernblueWK

I'm mot sure because mine does the opposite. Opens and closes but does not vent.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

There is a reset that involves pressing certain buttons at once or in a certain order, I can't remember. The point is, don't let anybody do a repair job on the sunroof until you've searched for this reset and tried it at least once. It has worked for many people here.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
JeepCares

from the 2011 WK Factory Service Manual:

DUAL PANE SUNROOF OR SUNSHADE OVERRIDE POSITION CALIBRATION

SLIDING GLASS
The sliding glass panel motor stalls when the glass reaches the fully vented position and the electronic motor module learns that position (hard stop), then counts the number of motor rotations to know where the fully closed and fully open positions of the glass are located. The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn the fully vented motor stall position.

Be certain electrical system voltage is at or above 12.5 volts.

Be certain the key is in the ignition switch and the switch is in the ON position.

Be certain the power sunshade is open at least beyond the back of the sliding glass panel opening.

Depress and hold the VENT push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully vented position or until the motor will not drive the glass any further towards the fully vented position.

Open the driver side front door.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Within 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.

Within 2 seconds, depress and hold the VENT push button of the sunroof switch for about ten seconds. At the end of ten seconds, the motor will try to drive the sliding glass panel to the fully vented position. Once motor stall is detected the electronic module will write that stall position to memory as the new glass position.

Verify sliding glass panel motor operation by cycling the glass to fully opened, fully closed, fully vented, then fully closed again.

SUNSHADE
The sunshade motor stalls when the shade reaches the fully closed position and the electronic motor module learns that position (hard stop), then counts the number of motor rotations to know where the mid-opened and fully opened positions of the shade are located. The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn the fully closed motor stall position.

Be certain electrical system voltage is at or above 12.5 volts.

Be certain the key is in the ignition switch and the switch is in the ON position.

Be certain the sliding glass panel is in the fully closed position.

Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunshade switch until the shade is in the fully closed position or until the motor will not drive the shade any further towards the fully closed position.

Open the driver side front door.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Within 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.

Within 2 seconds, depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunshade switch for about ten seconds. At the end of ten seconds, the motor will try to drive the shade to the fully closed position. Once motor stall is detected, the electronic module will write that stall position to memory as the new shade position.

Verify sunshade motor operation by cycling the shade to mid-opened, fully opened, then fully closed again.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
kaykim1213
2011 WK 

I fixed it!! Thanks Johngreen1234 for telling that there was a way that cost nothing and Jeep cares for the awesome directions!
I would have done something stupid if it wasn't for you guys!
kaykim1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
bcfdt1
2005 WK 

Not sure if this is the same issue or not, but when my sunroof is in the vent position and I try to close it, it closes then opens again to the vent position. It does this repeatedly until I bring it down, stop it, and fully retract it, then close it from the open position. It's an intermittent problem but seems to be happening more frequently.
bcfdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
cobra259
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfdt1 View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue or not, but when my sunroof is in the vent position and I try to close it, it closes then opens again to the vent position. It does this repeatedly until I bring it down, stop it, and fully retract it, then close it from the open position. It's an intermittent problem but seems to be happening more frequently.
So try the reset, you have NOTHING to lose!
Unread 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
bcfdt1
2005 WK 

Yeah that's what I'm going to to try, sounded like a good place to start.
Unread 06-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
bcfdt1
2005 WK 

Went ahead with the reset, and it seems to have fixed the problem, however it was an intermittent issue to begin with, so I will keep an eye on it, and I'll post again if the problem continues.

Thanks JeepCares for the reset information.
Unread 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

The WK sunroof is also the same unit used in the Challenger, except the glass itself.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

no one is going to question the 2011 WK?? lol
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
wojomoto
2007 WK 

I have a 07 GC and have the same problem. The roof vents and closes but will only slide back about an inch. When I look down it seem the drivers side is not moving as much as the passengers side so it appears to jam. I tried the reset procedure and it didn't help. Are there two motors or some kind of linkage between the left and right side? Any ideas?
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

One motor, two cables. If one cable mechanism is stuck the sunroof will sense the overload and stop.
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
wojomoto
2007 WK 

Thanks YB Normyl, Any idea of how to get at the cables without remove the headliner?
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto View Post
Thanks YB Normyl, Any idea of how to get at the cables without remove the headliner?
You have to drop the sunroof to be able to get at the cables. There's actually what looks like a spring and the gear teeth on the motor intertwine with the spaces in the spring/cable and that's what makes the glass open and close.
I don't know if anyone has had any luck trying to lube or wd40 the cable without removing the cable itself.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.