WK Submarine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Submarine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
jb1961

WK Submarine

So my eighty-three year old father comes home safely the other night in his stock '05 4.7L WK and announces that the crossing at his private creek was "a feet feet above flood stage." Whoa, that's a big deal dad! Now, he does cross this ford daily and the WK, with 125K miles still shows no obvious signs of damage. This time though, water flowing above the rocker panels? Dam* car stayed dry and easily conquered the crossing. What a vehicle. Really. However, I am now curious though, given the fact that the WK gets wet frequently and on occasion, submerges all if its drive components, what is the most likely part(s) to fail? Bearings, seals etc...help me target some preventive maintenance.
It is a real tribute to WK though. Never had an issue.

jb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Impressive! Do you have an idea on the actual depth? Are we talking close to 3 feet?
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

That is a cool story...using my Jeep below as a reference:

2ft = top of wheels

3ft = just under the red badge on the side or equal to the front wheel arch.

3ft is a lot water for a stock WK to be crossing. The most I have ever been in is about 2 ft.

If this is a regular occurrence you may want to relocate the the diff breather and the transfer case breather

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
terrasmak
2007 WK 

How long is the crossing? Is the jeep in the water for 2 seconds or 5 minutes
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
gemiller
2008 WK 

Best water prepped WK i've seen

I've taken my stock height (pre lift) through 2+ ft np. I cross a creek on the way to the cabin that ranges from 14" -36" throughout the season. I didn't dare cross at high level last year, but this year with the OME and 265's/275's coming soon i'll go for it no hesitation. The double door seals really do work well when I had water up above the rockers.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
daveWK42
2008 WK 

i stayed on the island during sandy this fall & we had about 2ft.+ of water in the front yard. came up to the trim line of my WK w/ it's 2" daystar BB. stayed completely dry inside! sandy was a test & a half, both for the jeep & the community. here's a pic of the wrackline on my jeep after the water went down & as it stands now:
img_0540.jpg   dsc_0333.jpg  

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BAH101
2008 WK 

I got high centered in water that came to just below the inner door seal. Had to sit there for an hour for help to come and give my a pull out. Ended up vacuuming 4 gallons of water out from under the carpets. Next day They were still wet, so I pulled all my carpets and found there are numerous drain plugs on the belly. If they are not sealed, and your jeep is stuck in water, it will come in.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbNtGXQh1Mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rWCA-DNJw

Best water prepped WK i've seen

I've taken my stock height (pre lift) through 2+ ft np. I cross a creek on the way to the cabin that ranges from 14" -36" throughout the season. I didn't dare cross at high level last year, but this year with the OME and 265's/275's coming soon i'll go for it no hesitation. The double door seals really do work well when I had water up above the rockers.

oh no u just posted a Gary video...thats a ban!!
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Valpacer

2007 WK 

As said above, rear diff breather is a must, if you have just driven through then bearings etc wont be affected, if you have sat there for a while, everything under the waterline will have a shortened life span.

Ive had water to just below the bottom of the windscreen in mine, multiple times, but i wouldnt recommend it. Not muddy, just fresh water so i wanst going to get bogged. Didnt hang around either......

Hot parts that get dunked in cold water suck in the cold water to even out the temp difference, and thats where breathers need to be checked as they will suck in water to the diff or transfer etc, as it will through the diff seals etc.

Got reminded of this vid last week actually! This was ages ago, running a seriously sagged OME lift and 31" tyres. Back when the panels were straight

2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel

oh no u just posted a Gary video...thats a ban!!
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Check the transfer case for sure. I had to pay $950 to replace mine after the previous owner took it through some water and didn't get it checked and the thing was pretty much filled with water

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.