WK Reverse Sensors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Reverse Sensors

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
ryann04
2008 WK 

WK Reverse Sensors

I installed a rear tire carrier via my hitch.

now when reversing, the parking assist goes crazy thinking I'm about to hit something. Fair enough, now to correct this issue, because the spare tire carrier stays on!

My question is; if I disconnect the two middle sensors (closest to the receiver) will there be an issue with the other two sensors working?

Thanks,

Ryan

Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
sickchilly
2010 WK 

No. The system will complain if any of the four sensors cannot be read.
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Bigdlensch
2006 WK 

You could just turn park assist off when you get in the jeep. I know kind of a pita, I think if you unhook them it will beep at you when you first start it but should turn it off automatically thinking back to mine being covered in ice this winter.
Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Bigdlensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
sickchilly
2010 WK 

That's actually what I do when I'm trailering. And it's not that big of a pain since it stays deactivated until you turn it back on.
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
That's actually what I do when I'm trailering. And it's not that big of a pain since it stays deactivated until you turn it back on.
Dittos, I turn mine off when towing too....
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
ryann04
2008 WK 

Good to know. Now to battle the error it will give me if I unplug it. Maybe I can jump the signal over to them while unhooked to trick the system.

I don't plan on removing my spare tire carrier, it will be "part of the jeep" for now on, if it was just a trailer, I could live with it for a couple days...

Options:

1. Disconnect the two inner sensors. Splice the two inner sensors with the two outer, thus sharing a signal and hopefully not reading an error.

2. Disconnect the two inner sensors. Somehow jump the plug with a resistor or something to trick it into thinking its ok..?

Comments or ideas guys?
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

This is very interesting. Wish I could help, but I have no idea. I want to get a lift with a spare tire carrier one day, whenever I get the money (if ever). And I never thought about it throwing off the sensors like that.

Those two ideas that you have seem pretty good.......... as long as the backup sensors aren't running through the damn pain-in-the-*** Digital CanBus system like the audio and most everything else is. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
ryann04
2008 WK 

well, I will test my theories when I get a chance after work.
It's cold outside, and hopefully I can access the wire harness without taking off the rear bumper. (The OME lift should help get my fat *** under the Jeep... lol)
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
norwaywj
2006 XK Commander 

Please keep us informed ! I have a front bullbar in front of two sensors
norwaywj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
sickchilly
2010 WK 

This is indeed a CANbus mess guys. Each sensor is monitored independently. 01-05 are the front sensors (option on export models) and 06-10 are the rear sensors.

Therefore:
1. You can't disconnect any one sensor or the lack of that sensor will cause an error.

2. You can't splice multiple sensors together, that would short two lines together and cause an error.

3. You can't out more than one sensor on one line. That will overload the line and cause an error.

The only thing that MIGHT work is faking out the system with a dummy load (resistor) that keeps the signal within the "no obstacle" range. I'd have to look through the service manual to see of those ranges and the reference voltages are stated for testing. Else, you may have to find the data sheet for the original part.
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
norwaywj
2006 XK Commander 

Sickchilly, could you check what resistor is needed ?
norwaywj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.