WK Reliability ranking and discussion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Reliability ranking and discussion

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

WK Reliability ranking and discussion

A lot of topics dance around the subject, so Lets take the time to dedicate this thread specifically to this subject. Lets clear a few things up though. This topic is not for people to diagnose issues or rant and rave about all the things gone wrong with their WK. So give us some background info, tell us what year your vehicle is, how many miles it had when you got it, and where it's at now in mileage. State the engine size as well, and any mods that have been performed with respect to the drivetrain and how long they've been on, as well as how often you wheel it too. THEN let's talk about any issues you've had and your overall impression of its drivetrain reliability and give it a rank, out of 10, put it in the title response.

I'll start,

I give the 3.7L an 8.5(10)

I have a 2006 3.7L I got in 2009 with 45k miles on it with 1 previous owner. It was very well maintained. The engine has clocked in 105k miles as of today. It has been lifted since it had 65k miles on it with the OME MD lift and 32's. I swapped out the 32's for 33's at around 85k. I also put on the programmer, air intake and exhaust at around 85k.

I moderately-aggressively wheel about 3-4 times a year, but it sees hunting trails, fire trails, and what not about 1-3 times a month. I've had 0 issues for which I've had to repair or get repaired with my drivetrain, suspension, engine, and transfercase. I do schedule it for regular 4x4 preventative maintenance and service myself if I don't do it myself.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I have a 2007 Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L V8 Flexfuel

I bought it in 2011 with 52K miles and it now has 78K miles.

Soon after I bought it I installed an OME HD lift and have since modified it gaining a little over 1/2 inch. I run a K&N drop-in air filter and a Superchips 3875. Drivetrain wise it is stock - although I did recently swap in a "new-to-me" front drive shaft as the original had torn boots (it is cv at both ends). Until I bought my XJ and began building it I wheeled the WK pretty much once a month for a year. Moderate to aggressive wheeling. It's been to some great mountain trails in Colorado the last 2 summers - again, moderate to aggressive trails. I've used it to haul a few different trailers of varying loads. As well, it has been my tow pig for the past year pulling my XJ on a dolly and recently a full tandem axle trailer set up.

I have done all modifications, installs, and maintenance myself with the exception of the 60K mile transmission drain/refill/filter swap. I run full synthetic (Mobil 1) oil/filter/gear oils and Mopar NV245 t-case oil.

For what I do and need of my WK - the 4.7 is a superb rig and I give it a solid 9 out of 10 ranking.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
The 4.7 is a superb rig and I give it a solid 9 out of 10 ranking.
Any mechanical issues or failures?

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

Mine is stock, no mods to speak of, I bought it 4 years ago at 22K miles now it has 65K miles. So far its been very reliable. I have done a brake pad replacement, tune up and replaced the battery. That's it, besides replacing fluids etc. I know they can be troublesome but some are very good.
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post

Any mechanical issues or failures?

The only issue so far is the front shaft. As mentioned above, the cv boots were torn and subsequently the joints were in question as there was no grease at the t-case end and the diff end had been slinging grease for an unknown amount of time/miles. I attempted to swap new cv's at both ends of the shaft only to find out that the parts were not compatible. I ended up swapping in a salvaged front shaft, matching part #'s, from a place locally.

Edit -

I should mention that as far as maintaining my vehicles I am quite meticulous. Which in turn has afforded me a very reliable Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I bought my Jeep in '08 with 30,000, put the 2" lift on it at 32,000 miles. She just crossed 140K miles last weekend. I currently plan on another 100K before getting rid of it and don't think that will be much of an issue.

2005 5.7 Hemi with Quadra-Drive ( it was one of the first batch of WKs off the line in late 2004 according to the dealer)

I wheel, but it's mostly long distance expedition style camping trips and not places like Moab or the Rubicon (obviously). Big Bend, a 7 hr drive each way, 50 miles of beach or remote rough unmaintained rock trail/roads out to the Devils River. It spent its first 3 years towing a 22' pontoon on a nearly weekly basis as well. It does work, and does it well. Far better than the mid-size competition that my friend's own.

I replaced the starter at 90K, which is a bit premature but not something I got worked up about. My mother, bless her heart, overheated the Jeep at 80K by locking it in 1st gear (actually kind of easy to do) and running the vehicle for 20 minutes on the parkway on a 102 degree day. I've never been a vehicle that boiled over in my 36 years. I thought I lost the engine. After a quick oil change, thermostat and coolant swap it was back on the road. 60K miles later and I still trust it to get me through the tough stuff miles from home. It's a workhorse and never fails to impress and leave me smiling.

That said there are quibbles. The door handles (a cheap easy fix) the LEDs in the climate control (a quick cheap fix) and the quality of the "leather." (Not a cheap easy fix) And the front diff bushing (not a cheap fix)

Quadra-Drive requires fluid swaps every 15K miles, if you are unwilling to do that don't get one. It's relatively easy, but messy. The system is one of the best out there, period, and worth the effort. The Hemi requires frequent changes of the spark plugs too which is not overly difficult but takes me around 2 hours for all 16.

Other than that, the suspension bushing supplier should be strung up. They wear out too easy in my opinion, but it's still a wear item on any vehicle. Especially a 4X4.

I don't think I'm missing anything. I don't think twice about putting 600 miles on it in a long weekend and that's got to account for something. I'll probably swap the half-shafts in the front sometime in the next 6 months as a preventative maintenance item and I just replaced the stock original ball joints with upgraded JBA ones so I'll never really have to worry about failure there either.

I'd buy another without hesitation.
( I also owned an '02 before this, which I sold at 120K and it was a great runner as well)
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ
I bought my Jeep in '08 with 30,000, put the 2" lift on it at 32,000 miles. 2005 5.7 Hemi
What's your mileage at now, dude. Nice to see ya again, btw.
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

I got my 2008 WK 4.7 QTii with 28,000KM (metric guys) now with 51K KM after 2.5 years. Installed 2" lift, King colis with Bilstein / OME shocks.

Had no issues until recently.
I do at least one day a month 4 rough wheeling. Had to do front diff. bushing and a bad front half shaft. You play and pay :-)

It's not a care free truck, service intervals are poor, cheap leather seats - shows wear.

On my scale: 8 out of 10 as it's an awesome truck, just shame that Chrysler tried to save with cheap components.
IlanLCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
What's your mileage at now, dude. Nice to see ya again, btw.
Good to see ya too. Been a while.

140K. I'll put that in the original post.
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Bought my 2005 Laredo WK with a 3.7 in June 2011 with 46k miles on the clock. I have 70k now. I bought a Chrysler extended warranty and had the following things repaired early on:

Rear differential leak - Replaced pinion seal
Transmision slight leak - Replace 13 pin electrical connector
A/C control lights out on dashboard - Replaced control unit
Tire pressure light flashing - replace 2 TIre pressure sensors
Check engine light - multiple trips to dealer replacing parts in evaporative gas recovery system but they finally got it right
Low speed blower fan resistor pack - did it myself, part cheap at advanceauto

Changed plugs myself - Maintenance only no issues

It's been a sweet ride

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Retireat50
2008 WK 

I bought a 2008 GC Limited with a Hemi and QD II in July 2012 with 59,000 miles on it. I did we plugs and all fluids at 60,000 miles and it now has 68,000 miles on it. It's an extra vehicle for us so we don't drive it too much.

The car has not had any mechanical issues and drives and looks new. I hope to keep it for the next 10+ years.
Retireat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

2005 with 75k on it-

Transmission Control Module Failure
Rear inner and outer seal failure
Transmission Line Leak
Rear Actuator Wire harness Failure
Battery Replaced

So far so good-all fixed under warranty.
She does have have the more profound shudder now as well-However-its all mine , no payments and under warranty till December
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
patconva

Inherited my '07 Laredo 3.7 last year with 66k miles ... Now has 103k. No real issues, other than cloth seats which somehow get stained by water and a clicking coming from the left front wheel. 2WD so on the road it stays. I'll start planning the replacement of high wear items soon (water pump, alternator)
patconva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Taenianotus
2006 WK 

Wh/Wk meets Outback Australia Challange

I bought my 2006 Grand Cherokee (WH – Limited – Hemi) new in 09/06 – Build date October 2005. Now 138,000km (86K miles) and it does most of the time in the bush off road. It has the Navus GPS system (about to be removed and dash patched) and nudge bar as factory extras.

No lift, no armour, no gadgets – driven as factory on some of the toughest roads and tracks in Australia in very, very remote places - I have to carry several 20L Jerry cans as it can be a long way from fuel.

From delivery 'Service 4WD Light' kept randomly coming on and off - after 6 visits to the dealership it was discovered the 4wd Lo Actuator (the little silver handle) was faulty from factory - replaced under warranty and no problems from then on.

Swapped out the standard headlamp bulbs for Xenon super white bulbs – Don’t need to buy driving spotlights with these. They are great and needed with all the Kangaroos, Cattle, Pigs, etc. on the roads at night.

2 years - battery dead. Dealer replaced battery - 2 years later dead again. 3rd battery being used and so far no problems - I have been told that this is common for GC's.

3 years - at 70,000km replaced front rotors and pads - rotors were warping

4 years - Starter motor dead and replaced.

Navus system will not calibrate - quoted AUD$1200 to replace - just don't use now.

5 years - EGR valve fault - replaced.

6 years - Bindings on handbrake linings came loose, linings fell into hub taking out all the sensors on the left rear hub and damaging hub - replaced everything. When checked the other side linings just fell out in my hand. Driving along bang, ping, BANG - linings getting caught, handbrake cable snaps, hub is taken out. I would recommend all GC owners check these at every service. I was a long way from home when this occurred.

Burst heater hose – replaced and flushed cooling system

Recent - replaced front rotors again and upgraded to DBA 4x4 heavy duty slotted and EBC heavy duty pads. Rebuilt the front callipers and replaced ceramic pistons with steel - one set of pistons was bulging (anyone else have this problem?)

Replaced hood, tailgate and tailgate glass struts - all had stopped working

C1417 fault - Front diff Actuator Axle Lock - intermittent not communicating. Replaced and electrical harness as I was in there. - 52114003AF + 52114327AC

Front diff mounts will need replacing soon. This is the "clunk" when moving from P to R to N to D (also when cruise control on and you touch breaks slightly) - 52114354AA + 52089516AB x 2

Other Items - The Service 4wd System light started coming on and engine rpm flaring (and then stalls sometimes) – I now slightly overfill with transmission fluid after service and changing filters I add about 600ml more.

Given up on the Champion copper plugs and gone to Champion double platinum - great!

This vehicle is serviced correctly to the intervals recommended but is driven hard and as stated off-road (very hot dusty and rough Australian conditions) sometimes.
N23 Recall re-flash has just been completed and was no problem. Dealer scanned the system and gave me a report on active and stored codes before doing this. Great for C and B codes which are not shown by the key dance.

The little plastic fender lining retainers and mud flap retainer pins keep shaking out and need replacing at regular intervals.

Also the driver’s seat has memory setting memory problems sometimes. No big one but a pain to have to reset.

Finally - I got rid of the Wranglers (standard on WH 245/65/17) at the very first change and went with Duelers AT of same size - they were nice for the highway but off road here in Aussie not up to it.

Last edited by Taenianotus; 10-19-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Taenianotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Walt
2008 WK 

I give the 2008 limited 5.7L a 5 out of 10. I call it the "Bankruptcy Edition". At least I haven't been stranded. It's not that I don't understand Grand Cherokees. The 2008 is my 4th Grand Cherokee and definitely the most problem-prone. Others were 1997, 2000, & 2003 I-6 with Selec-Trac and trailer tow package.
Think I would get a JK Sahara Unlimited if it could be ordered with Selec-Trac drivetrain (like my ZJ & WJ's).

Bought the '08 new in October 2007 and it has 106K miles on it now. It is very well-maintained and passed the 5-yr powertrain warranty inspection without incident (except dealer found the rear driveshaft u-joint & pinion seal failing and replaced it). Only significant mod is the BT oil catch can. No off-roading.

Lots of issues I've had to repair or get repaired with my drivetrain, suspension, engine, and transfercase.

Here is what has been replaced so far (mostly under warranty):
Instrument Gauge Cluster – twice
Junction block / relays (driver’s side under steering column)
Multi-function turn signal stalk
Clockspring in steering wheel
Radio Head Unit - 3 times
Radio Amplifier
Radio Driver’s door speaker
Radio multiple software re-flashes
Driver’s door master window/lock switch
Driver’s door window regulator (and module re-flash)
Driver’s door lock assembly
Tailgate latch assembly (and repaired grounded wire in harness)
Tailgate interior light assembly
Park Assist Sensor
Engine radiator cap
Engine serpentine belt – 3 times
Engine serpentine belt tensioner
Engine EGR valve
Engine EGR valve head-to-valve gasket
Engine MAP sensor
Engine O2 sensors (1 replaced at 22.7K miles; all 4 replaced at 53.7K; all 4 replaced at 61.4K miles; 2 replaced at 69.7K miles)
Engine exhaust manifold gasket (driver’s side)
Engine exhaust manifold, studs, nuts, and gaskets (driver’s side)
Engine exhaust manifold, studs, nuts, and gaskets (passenger’s side)
Engine exhaust Y-pipe and both catalytic converters, bolts & nuts
Engine cylinder heads (both driver’s side & passenger’s side), head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, valves, springs, and keepers.
Engine fuel injectors (all cylinders)
Engine multiple PCM re-flashes and TSB's
Engine PCV valve
Transfer case rear seal
FDCM N23 reflash (recall N23)
Rear differential seal
Rear drive shaft
Shock absorbers (4) and 1 replacement @ RHS front after 6K miles
Heater / AC auto control instrument panel module
Heater blower motor
FOBIK’s (Jeep recall)
ESIM sensor (fuel tank evaporative emissions)
Passenger’s side outside rearview mirror
Rear brake rotors and pads
Battery (after 5.5 years)

This list is just excessive for a $40K vehicle. Chrysler paid dearly for this and would have been better off replacing it under lemon-law provisions. I offered but they declined (stupid corporate policy).
The good news is that the last 25K miles have been as routine as the first ones should have been. Now that it is running well, I keep it that way with the lifetime powertrain warranty.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.