WK Rear Axle/Diff Question...need help fast! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Rear Axle/Diff Question...need help fast!

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

WK Rear Axle/Diff Question...need help fast!

Ok, so I'm new to the Jeep World, and to 4x4s in general, and while I'm not a mechanic, I'm not a complete idiot either. That being said, here's what may be my stupid question (bear with me)....

Six weeks ago, I purchased a used 2006 Laredo with about 15,000 miles on it. About three weeks ago I took it to the dealer to have the the oil changed and the front and rear differential fluids changed (per the service schedule). Fast forward to today...I was washing my Jeep when I happened to look under the vehicle and noticed something dangling inside the right rear wheel-area. When I crawled underneath to inspect it, I noticed that it was a rubber hose/tube that was hanging down from the rear axle. It appears to be connected on the top of the axle tube between the differential and the control arm. WHAT IS THIS? IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS?

I never noticed it before, so I'm not sure if it is something that broke off, or if it is something the dealer mechanic left there, or what else it is. If it is a hose that came disconnected from somewhere else, I cannot tell where else it was connected. IS THIS A VENT TUBE or something else? Should it be connected or just hanging loose off the front of the axle?

I called two dealers and asked the same question, but they said they'd have to see it to be sure, but they thought it might just be a vent tube. Is this true?

I'm sorry for the long question...but any help would be greatly appreciated! The faster I can get an answer, the better...as I'm leaving on a trip soon.

Thanks!!!

jeepgaffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
JeepCollector

The vent hose comes off the top of the right axle tube between the differential and the upper control arm bracket. It should have a plastic jiggle cap on the end of it with a metal clip on the hose to retain it to the top of the upper control arm bracket (I think that's right). Hope that describes it clearly enough to get it put back together. Might want to look at another one in a parking lot if you can to see where it's supposed to go.
JeepCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Well, I'm glad to hear that's all it is. Mine is just hanging off the front of the axle...no metal clips or 'jiggle cap' in sight, even on the control arm. I'm going to run it by the dealer first thing in the morning so they can hopefully reattach it and put the cap back on.

Thanks.
jeepgaffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
cliff

What did they charge to change the oil in the front and rear differentials? The dealer I went to wanted 290.00 and I declined.

Thought I could do it myself and save bunch.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.