WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #46
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
If you decide to cater to the TJ crowd, I'll take a blue set.
I do have a '98 TJ myself. It wouldn't be hard to make them fit. You'd have to drill a hole in the bottom of the cupholder for the wiring, and they would drop right in. However, I'm not entirely sure how easy they would be to pull back out should you need to. At least on the earlier TJ's there is a bolt in the bottom of one of the cupholders that helps hold the console in place. Maybe a slight notch or indent on one side would help, hmm....

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #47
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru

I do have a '98 TJ myself. It wouldn't be hard to make them fit. You'd have to drill a hole in the bottom of the cupholder for the wiring, and they would drop right in. However, I'm not entirely sure how easy they would be to pull back out should you need to. At least on the earlier TJ's there is a bolt in the bottom of one of the cupholders that helps hold the console in place. Maybe a slight notch or indent on one side would help, hmm....
Make them wait for all us WK/XK guys, haha.

Are you going to make a sample of each type? It would be cool to see how each color option looks like.

This is a great idea man, I hope it takes off for you.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #48
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Make them wait for all us WK/XK guys, haha.

Are you going to make a sample of each type? It would be cool to see how each color option looks like.

This is a great idea man, I hope it takes off for you.
Haha, yes, they'll have to wait. I've had my TJ for 10 years, but the WK is new to me. Anything WK related is getting my attention for awhile.

I'll post pictures of every color combination. If I'm doing this, I want everyone to know exactly what they are getting. I don't know what kind demand there is for this going forward, but I'm definitely thinking about options considering the response I've gotten so far.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
tom19511
2006 WK 

I will take a set of dash light colored leds if available...Great idea!!
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

These are kinda neat.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
The whole cupholder part of the newer models is just a rubber insert that will pop right out, so getting it out is no issue. I don't mind drilling a small hole for the power.

And no need to make us wait. We're all Jeeps, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #52
06Grand
2006 WK 

Count me in !
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #53
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

$25?! **** count me in too!
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #54
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I can't wait!!!!!
I just figured I would say that.

Also, seems like your gonna make out real good on these.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #55
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Okay guys, I won't have my other LED samples for a few days yet, but I do have the gel filters. These sample shots were taken with a small filter below the LED. What you'll see is a slightly washed out color as opposed to the bold color of an LED alone. The white LED's I'm using are very bright. Almost too much so. I don't want them to be a distraction for night driving, so I may shrink down the outer transparent ring a little bit or find some other easy way to tone them down a little. I'll do some experimenting.

Pale Yellow

Pale Green

Pale Blue

Pale Red (Oh, who are we kidding, it's pink!)

Next up, I tried using filters to match the factory lighting.

Here is a single blue filter. Hmm, it's not quite right. When seeing the lighting side by side, the OEM colors are definitely more greenish.

So, let's try a single green filter. Getting close huh? It's a little hard to make out, but it's still not there. I need just a little more green.

Lastly, I tried a pair of green filters. Bingo! You couldn't ask for much better, at least with the white LED's I currently have. I do have a few cool white samples coming my way, and I think one of those with a single green filter should look about the same.

I may not get the colored LED's until Monday, but rest assured, I'll get pics of those up as soon as I can.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #56
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The single green filter looks closer from the pics.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #57
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Yup definentely wanting the stock colored ones haha!
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #58
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Looks good
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #59
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
The single green filter looks closer from the pics.
Hmm, maybe it's a little deceiving then. In person, the single filter looked a little more washed out compared to OEM. We'll see what the new LED's look like, and take it from there. I'll play with the camera setting a bit, but the colors should be pretty accurate.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #60
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Hmm, maybe it's a little deceiving then. In person, the single filter looked a little more washed out compared to OEM. We'll see what the new LED's look like, and take it from there. I'll play with the camera setting a bit, but the colors should be pretty accurate.
Cameras never show color right.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.