WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #511
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

I was asking about the male adapter. not the wireless controller. What is the male adapter to work with the wireless controller?

Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #512
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
I was asking about the male adapter. not the wireless controller. What is the male adapter to work with the wireless controller?
I'm about 95% sure these will work. Just need to chop off the 9v battery connector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Black WK Club Member #61
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #513
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs57Wk View Post
What a great idea for a little added flare. Any thought about making some Hemi rings?
I hadn't, but now I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllshadow View Post
Got them installed today and they look great! Only one slight problem I can't get them to change color. They are blue and none of the buttons on the remote are doing anything. Any ideas whats going on?
There's only a few possible reasons why this would happen. Did you tap into a solid power source? The controller won't work as it should if it's not receiving enough amperage. Second, double check the connector plugs. Verify that the little arrows are lined up as they should be. Lastly, it could be a faulty controller. I've only had one that didn't work out of all that I've sent, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be another one. If you can rule out the first two, I can send you a replacement.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm about 95% sure these will work. Just need to chop off the 9v battery connector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those indeed should work with the 9v end cut off. Or if you can wait a couple of days, I can just send you one when I'm back from vacation.
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #514
kllshadow
2006 WK 

I tapped into the wires shown on page 1 and all arrows are lined up. I ordered a wireless controller and those 9v
connectors so ill try that when it comes.
Black WK Club Member #61
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #515
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
I tapped into the wires shown on page 1 and all arrows are lined up. I ordered a wireless controller and those 9v
connectors so ill try that when it comes.
Yep, that's what is doing it. The method shown on page one was from before the RGB controller. After switching to RGB, tapping into the light wiring wasn't supplying enough amperage. I started recommending using the left (12 volt switched) power plug. I'm certain that would fix your issue.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #516
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post

Yep, that's what is doing it. The method shown on page one was from before the RGB controller. After switching to RGB, tapping into the light wiring wasn't supplying enough amperage. I started recommending using the left (12 volt switched) power plug. I'm certain that would fix your issue.
Haha I guess it would help if I read the directions
Black WK Club Member #61
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #517
slayerized6

I dont want to offend anyone, but what is the purpose of this modification? We are mostly adults drive Jeeps...not teens driving rice burning pimped out Hondas.

Thats just my take.
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #518
Clirry
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
I dont want to offend anyone, but what is the purpose of this modification? We are mostly adults drive Jeeps...not teens driving rice burning pimped out Hondas.

Thats just my take.
Wow, first person's negative opinion out of 34 pages or so... I dont look that way as low grade like honda and craps... But those led modification reminds me of all new cars/suvs that come with ambient lights around the cup holders. Like my dad's 12 explorer.

Thats my opinion. and heck i dont have any single regrets by buying craig's modification.
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #519
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

my reasoning for wanting the cup holder lights is because when driving at night and I have a drink, I always have to feel around for the hole with the cup. Taking the chance of spilling the drink. The light will light up the holder so I always know where it is now.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #520
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Haha I guess it would help if I read the directions
Haha, no worries man. Please let me know if you have any more issues after the wireless controller install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post

Thats just my take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Wow, first person's negative opinion out of 34 pages or so... I dont look that way as low grade like honda and craps... But those led modification reminds me of all new cars/suvs that come with ambient lights around the cup holders. Like my dad's 12 explorer.

Thats my opinion. and heck i dont have any single regrets by buying craig's modification.
No offense taken, at least on my part. Anyone here is free to buy or not buy a set. It really all started because I made a set for myself and posted a few pics. It took off from there, and quite a few other guys wanted sets too. Actually, way more than I anticipated. As a consequence of that, I've been pushing myself to innovate and improve. The logo versions are just one example of that. There have been a few bumps along the way, but I've backed what I make, and have taken care of anyone that has come to me with an issue.

Clirry nailed it. My original inspiration was the ambient lighting found on a lot of newer vehicles. I wanted that, but such a product did not exist. Other home brewed solutions didn't look that great, and anything I could find already manufactured, wasn't custom fitted. Then you start throwing in things like the RGB lighting, controller, new logo versions, and the reasonable price and you can see why guys are fans of these things. Sure, it does all come down to personal preference, and that's fine with me. I'll keep making them as long as there is demand.

I mean, I guess you could question a lot of the upgrades that we do. There's no reason our 'grocery getters' can't be comfortable and good looking, as well as capable. I'd rather see blingy lighted cup holders on a WK or XK that gets wheeled, than shiny wheels and 35's on a JK that never heads off pavement. Who is more 'rice' then?

Quote:
my reasoning for wanting the cup holder lights is because when driving at night and I have a drink, I always have to feel around for the hole with the cup. Taking the chance of spilling the drink. The light will light up the holder so I always know where it is now.
That's perfectly valid. It does serve a purpose. There's no reason it can't look good as well.
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #521
jscaffidi

Great job on the cupholders. This seems like one of the longest threads both in number of posts and time from the op. Probably a dumb question but what is ORT, I'd think you mean SRT?

Since you were inspired by ambient lighting in the new vehicles, have you tried adding more y-adapters so that LEDs can be put in the front footwells and under the front seats to illuminate the rear? Can you test out adding two more y-adapters to each side and plugging in 4 led strips and the 2 cupholders to see if the controller can handle it all? If you do and it works I would like to order the cupholders, 4 additional y-adapters (do they make adapters that add more than additional connection) and 4 led strips. Thanks.
jscaffidi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #522
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscaffidi View Post
Great job on the cupholders. This seems like one of the longest threads both in number of posts and time from the op. Probably a dumb question but what is ORT, I'd think you mean SRT?

Since you were inspired by ambient lighting in the new vehicles, have you tried adding more y-adapters so that LEDs can be put in the front footwells and under the front seats to illuminate the rear? Can you test out adding two more y-adapters to each side and plugging in 4 led strips and the 2 cupholders to see if the controller can handle it all? If you do and it works I would like to order the cupholders, 4 additional y-adapters (do they make adapters that add more than additional connection) and 4 led strips. Thanks.
Thanks man! It really is crazy how many posts this thread has. I'm proud of the fact that a lot of them are from me. I've got a background in computer modding, and I've posted quite a few worklog threads on other forums. Answering every question and staying involved in the discussion is just the right thing to do. I'm not going anywhere. As far as ORT, I'm not sure who the originator was, but it's basically been adopted around here as the unofficial 'Off Road Technology' equivalent of SRT. You'll see guys in quite a few of the build threads with ORT stickers and badging.

I've been asked before about ambient lighting, and yes, it will be done at some point. I've been pretty focused on the ring redesign, but I can hopefully address it soon. They make all sorts of splitters, adapters, and extensions that are plug and play with the controller I'm currently using. The controllers can handle multiple 30' strings of the LED lighting, so I don't think there will be any load issues. As with anything I've done, I'll do some testing for viability on my own rig and take it from there. I'm doing everything I can to make sure that the sets I'm currently selling are easily expandable. It's just a matter of adding splitters and extensions at this point.
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #523
jscaffidi

Don't mean to be a pain, but what do you figure your timeframe for the ambient lighting will be? I would like to order the cupholders, but I'd rather wait for a full ambient light package if that were to become available shortly (I would rather have the one shipping charge and it would be more beneficial for you as well, if the additional adapters, etc., fit in one box - fewer supplies for you and trips to whoever you use for delivery). If you don't think you'll be getting around to it, can you point me in the direction of where to get compatible splitters, extensions and led strips? Thanks.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #524
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Tell you what, I'll fast track this for you. I'm not that concerned about shipping hassles though. I do my own shipping through a Stamps.com account, although yes, it does save a little money to ship at one time. I can get the LED strips and wire leads/connectors ready in short order. I'd prefer to supply those, since I can't guarantee that all LED strips are the same from different sources. Mixing suppliers can result in lighting that doesn't match correctly. I can then point you to the splitter you need from a third party, since my lead time may be a few weeks if ordering in bulk (which is always nice since I pass that savings on).

So, what will need to be figured out yet... How much lighting is sufficient for ambient without overpowering? Would you guys prefer to use the adhesive backing on the LED strips to mount, or would you like them attached to aluminum that could then be screwed into place? Any other thoughts or things to consider?
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #525
jscaffidi

No one can accuse you of not being awesome.

Aside from the shipping issue is the fact that it would be preferable to do the installation all at once then have to open things up again. While I obviously don't have the cupholders yet so I can't comment on how bright they are, I would imagine that since the controller can dim the strips installed for ambient lighting, I don't think what you currently supply would be overpowering. My initial thoughts, if you were just going to supply the led strips and leave me to my own devices, were to attach the strips to a clear plastic/acrylic tube (like the led light bars/tubes you can get at autozone) to diffuse the light and extend it's coverage, if they initially appear to be too bright (you may also be able to do this by attaching the leds to a 3/8" or 1/2" wide by 12" long strip of acrylic, which you have on hand). Another solution would be for the ambient set to have its own rgb controller to dim it separately. Lastly, if need be, some of the leds can be blacked out if it really is too bright. As far as installing it, I would think the adhesive backing supplemented with some zip ties would be sufficient. This is how the Mopar ambient light kit is installed http://http://www.wkjeeps.com/ambient.htm (Click on the installation instructions - i linked to this page because he shows an actual picture of the kit. Pay no attention to the price of their kit! It's discontinued anyway. Also note the length of the led strips - that's where I come up with the 12" length.

On a separate note if the ambient lighting has it's own controller, if you want them to come on when the door is opened you would tap into the wiring for the light under the steering wheel and above the brake pedal - I installed the lighted door sill plates and that's where they get power from. I would imagine some relays would be needed to also connect to another power source so they can go on when the lights are on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.