WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #466
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
are you backlogged much? if not I'd like to be added to the list.
I don't list anything as in stock, unless it's truly ready to put in a box and drop in the mail. I am out of the 05~07's though. I have the ability to make more of the older version, but was waiting on parts for the new logo version. Those should arrive today. If all goes to plan, I'll have at least 8 sets in stock by Monday.

Unread 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #467
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

thanks, I'll keep checking. These are awesome, have to get some.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #468
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Craig,

I finally got around to fixing the shorting that I was having. (The cup holder changing colors when touched / being separate colors) by using the fix technique you posted a while back.

I noticed that my led strips already had the slits cut in them to make the connectors pop out. Im gonna try to cut them deeper maybe and see if it makes the connection stronger. Also I busted both those little grey connectors that you warned about lol.

And the connectors on the driver side ring led strip are corroded from all my sweating drinks. Which I fear is why it was shorting. Im gonna try and clean up all the green tarnish and cut them slits deeper and connect the connector without the grey busted holding tabs. (maybe tape it into place)

------
EDIT: Yea so after trying to do the fix, the connection still wasn't good. I didn't even fully install them. Just plugged them in, and depending on what way I moved the ring, it would light up or not light up. The LED strip already had the slits in it, I just tried to make them protrude a little more. But it didn't help.

Let me know if I can buy just the two LED strips with the wires connected to them. (I don't need a new set of the disc's).
If not, ill just wait until you have the "jeep" logo ones finished and order a new set.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #469
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Craig,

I finally got around to fixing the shorting that I was having. (The cup holder changing colors when touched / being separate colors) by using the fix technique you posted a while back.

I noticed that my led strips already had the slits cut in them to make the connectors pop out. Im gonna try to cut them deeper maybe and see if it makes the connection stronger. Also I busted both those little grey connectors that you warned about lol.

And the connectors on the driver side ring led strip are corroded from all my sweating drinks. Which I fear is why it was shorting. Im gonna try and clean up all the green tarnish and cut them slits deeper and connect the connector without the grey busted holding tabs. (maybe tape it into place)

------
EDIT: Yea so after trying to do the fix, the connection still wasn't good. I didn't even fully install them. Just plugged them in, and depending on what way I moved the ring, it would light up or not light up. The LED strip already had the slits in it, I just tried to make them protrude a little more. But it didn't help.

Let me know if I can buy just the two LED strips with the wires connected to them. (I don't need a new set of the disc's).
If not, ill just wait until you have the "jeep" logo ones finished and order a new set.
It sucks that you are still having issues. I did try to test to the best of my abilities, and all strips are individually tested before shipment, yet they apparently took some abuse during shipping. That's part of why I switched to a solid cardboard box instead of bubble pack I was using previously. I also bought a 1.25mm punch, and all new strips have through-hole soldering on the wires from the back side. No one will ever have that issue again. I can send you a pair of strips at no cost if you want. If you want the logo version, those will come with new strips anyway. I'm cutting the 05~07's tonight, and should have the later models in another day or two. Whichever you prefer man.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #470
mwebb41231
2000 WJ 

HeyCraig,
This is Mike Webb, I sent you the cup holder so you could make the rings for the 2000 Model. I am loving the new logo version you are coming out with. The original rings you made for me are still working great by the way. The way I have them wird however I dont really change the color much, so the remote controller would be awesome. Even though the first ones I have are great I think I would like to buy the new logo version with remote controller. Do you have those for the 2000 version also and if so can I just go to your site and place the order?
Thanks
mwebb41231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #471
lafacej
2004 WJ 

I saw that you said you should have some of the logo versions for 05-07 GCs ready soon! I'd there a waiting list or can I get a set when they become available?
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #472
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb41231 View Post
HeyCraig,
This is Mike Webb, I sent you the cup holder so you could make the rings for the 2000 Model. I am loving the new logo version you are coming out with. The original rings you made for me are still working great by the way. The way I have them wird however I dont really change the color much, so the remote controller would be awesome. Even though the first ones I have are great I think I would like to buy the new logo version with remote controller. Do you have those for the 2000 version also and if so can I just go to your site and place the order?
Thanks
Hey Mike! I'm glad you are enjoying the rings. I will be making logo version for the WJ's for sure. It may be about 2 weeks or so before I can get those made. For anyone that already has a set of the old version, I'll be offering an upgrade kit without the controller for a cheaper price. Stay tuned buddy, I'll make an announcement when they are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej View Post
I saw that you said you should have some of the logo versions for 05-07 GCs ready soon! I'd there a waiting list or can I get a set when they become available?
There is no formal waiting list yet, but I can always make more if the first batch sells out. I'll let you know when they are ready.

So, it's no secret I was in the shop tonight. I ended up having a few minor issues, but nothing I couldn't work around. It was mostly alignment related due the 2 sided milling. I'll work on updating the CAD files tomorrow. There is a second issue though, and I'll have to update the files for that too. Due to the way the LED strip is off center, the lighting isn't as even as I'd like. In order to fix that, I'll have to create a pocket under the logo on the back side. That will allow light to reach the top of the ring a little easier, instead of having to make it's way through all that white plastic. Enough talk though, how about a few pics?

Now, it's a little hard to tell in these pics, but it's more apparent in person. The lighting in the top picture is much darker at top, than on the bottom. The lower picture looks better when I simply lift the ring off the surface and allow the light to spread more easily. Creating a pocket will have the same effect.

I'll work on the revised rings tomorrow... Sorry for the delay guys!
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #473
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #474
sickchilly
2010 WK 

These are so beyond cool. Can't wait to order. Just traded my CRD for a 2010 S-Limited today. It needs them.
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #475
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the update, they look great! Let me know when they're ready.
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #476
ibz2000
2006 WK 

these look awesome! I'm itching for a set as well. One that says Jeep and one that says ORT would be cool too
ibz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #477
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
These are so beyond cool. Can't wait to order. Just traded my CRD for a 2010 S-Limited today. It needs them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej View Post
Thanks for the update, they look great! Let me know when they're ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz2000 View Post
these look awesome! I'm itching for a set as well. One that says Jeep and one that says ORT would be cool too
Haha, thanks guys. I'm almost ready to put some in stock. I'll have 5 sets of the 05~07 to start, and they'll be full sets with controller for the moment. The upgrade sets will come soon, so please be patient. Also, due to a few trial and error issues, I've got to order more plastic again. It may take me a little while to ramp up, but I'll cover every model I can. I'm also going to change all rings to the new style, logo or not. I'm not sure non-logo versions will be as popular when given the choice, but we'll see.

Oh, and an ORT version, yes, I do plan on making some of those too. I need smaller end mills though. The 1/16" mill I'm using for the current logo is to big. Gonna have to drop to 1/32".

The thing is, I have to be careful how I make these. It would be really easy to get overloaded with a bunch of stock that doesn't move. Especially since most sets have rings of two different cup holder sizes. So, you get into a left and right, Jeep and ORT situation...
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #478
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

And just like that... I've put 5 2005~7 full sets (with controller) into stock. More on the way tomorrow night!
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #479
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
And just like that... I've put 5 2005~7 full sets (with controller) into stock. More on the way tomorrow night!
Nice! Got mine ordered!!
Black WK Club Member #61
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #480
Clirry
2014 WK 

37 bucks for a ring or comes with 2 rings? I am about to order... so my wife and i can enjoy seeing colors inside.
Clirry is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.