WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #451
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
awesome. The logo kind would be cool, but not necessary. What would thebprice difference be?
I've got two basic methods I'm trying. I can post the options tomorrow night. There is a ring I posted a page back that would be maybe a buck or two more per set. The alternative version I'm trying right now would be the same price. Both are similar in concept, but are made differently. I'm still working on the pros and cons.

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #452
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Can't wait for the logo version to come out!
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #453
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej View Post
Can't wait for the logo version to come out!
X2!!!
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #454
tom19511
2006 WK 

Craig, Thanks for the link. I got it working as you can see on the video...Very simple hookup. I did however use black tape on all of the connectors...
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #455
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Craig I still haven't got around to playing with the connectors when I do if I screw them up and need new ones ill let you know im also intrested in holding out till you get the controller. Not that it's a big deal to pull Everything apart a bunch of times.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #456
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Okay guys, sorry for the delay. I've got the new ring process down. There are just a few things I'm waiting on. Due to the new design, I'm going to switch to a translucent white plastic for the logo version. I lights up much more evenly, but I don't have any on hand yet. I should have some next week. Also, I need to redo all my CAD templates for conversion back to g-code for the CNC. Lastly, I'm waiting on a few new end mills. The test runs below were done with a mill that was way to dull for cutting acrylic. As such, it got too hot for me to finish the cuts all the way through. What it did show me, was that with a new end mill the design is more than doable.

So, here are a couple of shots. Do keep in mind that the end mill was dull and the cuts aren't as clean as the final version will be. Also, the plastic will be white and will glow like the logo ring a few pages back. While running through a few test sets, I discovered that a variant of Nate's suggested method actually works about the best of all. It's a good balance between looks and manufacturing time. The plastic is painted with a couple layers of Rustoleum bed liner, then milled top and bottom. The biggest issue I had, was making room for the LED strip underneath. It turns out that it has to be either completely below or above the logo. No matter what I tried, the LED under the logo itself couldn't be made to look good. You either saw bright spots from the LED's, or dark spots from the strip backing. I think this works well though. Thoughts?

Unread 08-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #457
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Okay guys, sorry for the delay. I've got the new ring process down. There are just a few things I'm waiting on. Due to the new design, I'm going to switch to a translucent white plastic for the logo version. I lights up much more evenly, but I don't have any on hand yet. I should have some next week. Also, I need to redo all my CAD templates for conversion back to g-code for the CNC. Lastly, I'm waiting on a few new end mills. The test runs below were done with a mill that was way to dull for cutting acrylic. As such, it got too hot for me to finish the cuts all the way through. What it did show me, was that with a new end mill the design is more than doable.

So, here are a couple of shots. Do keep in mind that the end mill was dull and the cuts aren't as clean as the final version will be. Also, the plastic will be white and will glow like the logo ring a few pages back. While running through a few test sets, I discovered that a variant of Nate's suggested method actually works about the best of all. It's a good balance between looks and manufacturing time. The plastic is painted with a couple layers of Rustoleum bed liner, then milled top and bottom. The biggest issue I had, was making room for the LED strip underneath. It turns out that it has to be either completely below or above the logo. No matter what I tried, the LED under the logo itself couldn't be made to look good. You either saw bright spots from the LED's, or dark spots from the strip backing. I think this works well though. Thoughts?

[img]http://imagehost.losias.net/images/IMG20130827210315023.jpg

[img]http://imagehost.losias.net/images/IMG20130827210207464.jpg

Sick!
I already have a pair of the regular rings for my 08'.
Im thinking it would look great if just one ring said jeep and the other didn't. (two might be a little redundant)

With that said, will you be offering these in single? My left (driver) ring has that short in it still, I never found the time to fix it like you posted (mostly just lazy and forget to do it on my off time lol). It would be awesome if I could buy just a driver side ring from you with the logo, to replace the one with the short anyways.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #458
Clirry
2014 WK 

Cant wait to order those!
Clirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #459
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Sick!
I already have a pair of the regular rings for my 08'.
Im thinking it would look great if just one ring said jeep and the other didn't. (two might be a little redundant)

With that said, will you be offering these in single? My left (driver) ring has that short in it still, I never found the time to fix it like you posted (mostly just lazy and forget to do it on my off time lol). It would be awesome if I could buy just a driver side ring from you with the logo, to replace the one with the short anyways.
Well, I had just planned on pairs for a few reasons. Most all sets are comprised of rings of different sizes. If I sold as singles I'd have to specify left and right for each vehicle. Not that it can't be done, but it could get complicated quickly. Another issue with singles is that the logo rings will be white acrylic as opposed to the clear. They'd not match well, unless I make blank rings with the new method too. That said, if the new versions have enough demand I could look at mix and match rings at the time of ordering. However, I'm not able to double my inventory without some pretty confident sales to back it up at the moment. I guess we'll see how this plays out. I should have new parts by the end of next week. I'll sell as complete sets and as upgrade kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Cant wait to order those!
Thanks man. We're looking at another 10 days or so. In the meantime, I'm going to play with an engraving mill that I have. Maybe a 'Trail Rated' version is possible. Thanks to Sam for the inspiration on that idea...
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #460
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Any updates happen lately?
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #461
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Any updates happen lately?
I'm still waiting for my plastic to arrive. It should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a few new sets out this weekend.
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #462
Clirry
2014 WK 

Great! I am ready to buy 2 leds for my jeep! Cant wait
Clirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #463
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Those are cool
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #464
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

are you backlogged much? if not I'd like to be added to the list.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #465
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
are you backlogged much? if not I'd like to be added to the list.
Go to the very first page and at the top he has a link to his website where he sells them

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.