WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #406
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
I love the idea. Hopefully it'll come out as good as you want it to. Gots to save my pennies so I can get a set. Also why i've done nothing about the way mine are now.
Yeah, it will take more time to make, but I think it will be that much more unique. I really hope it works too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
I wonder if we can put a round Jeep sticker over the whole ring in place of the darkend center area.. Maybe offset the LED strip? Just a thought. BTW, Anymore on the RF controllers?
The thing about stickers is that they are hard to manage, and perfect placement becomes an issue. They would certainly be cheaper, but I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. I'll explore whatever I can to make a cool and quality product though. I've learned a lot of the last couple of months. Also, offsetting the LED strip isn't an option for most rings. The strip is just too long to fit anywhere but in the middle. I've looked at foregoing the strips, and using a single RGB LED, but then I've got another set of issues. You can't get the bulbs less than 5mm, which almost the height of the ring itself. Even if you could make it fit, you'd have to solder on resistors in order to use them with the controller. A lot of extra time would be needed, and I don't think that's the right way to go.

So, my idea for the process is this. I cut out the ring on both sides with the CNC. I then take spray the top of the finished ring with paint (gonna try Plastidip or Rustoleum bed liner). Once dry, I'll sand off the raised surfaces with a very fine grit sandpaper exposing the areas that will be lighted. Yeah, so it's a little more work, but I think it will look amazing assuming I can get the LED strip to look right under there.

As far as the RF controllers go, they are supposedly in transit. We'll see...

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #407
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post

So, my idea for the process is this. I cut out the ring on both sides with the CNC. I then take spray the top of the finished ring with paint (gonna try Plastidip or Rustoleum bed liner). Once dry, I'll sand off the raised surfaces with a very fine grit sandpaper exposing the areas that will be lighted. Yeah, so it's a little more work, but I think it will look amazing assuming I can get the LED strip to look right under there.
This sounds like it will looks great, just might be time consuming & expense. You might find you will have to use chrome paint to block the light bleeding thru the paint. I would at least investigate a sticker or drop in plastic part. In each case you could have some sort of location key. In any case your product continues to look great!

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #408
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
This sounds like it will looks great, just might be time consuming & expense. You might find you will have to use chrome paint to block the light bleeding thru the paint. I would at least investigate a sticker or drop in plastic part. In each case you could have some sort of location key. In any case your product continues to look great!
Time consuming, yes. Expense when it comes to materials would probably be a wash. It should all come from my labor and the machine time. Until I make a few I won't know how it all plays out.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #409
brad248

Any progress on the jeep logo for the cubby by the shifter?
brad248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #410
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Hi Craigbru.....

Please forgive me if I've missed the answer, trawled through the whole thread on my iPad , I think my eyes are spinning.

Are you selling the illuminated discs for me to modify my cup holders ? My wife has the illuminated ones in her jeep and I'm well jealous lol.

Cheers
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #411
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Ignore my last . I've found the answer, about to order bit no option for shipping the the UK. Can it be arranged ?

Cheers
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #412
brad248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd View Post
Hi Craigbru.....

Please forgive me if I've missed the answer, trawled through the whole thread on my iPad , I think my eyes are spinning.

Are you selling the illuminated discs for me to modify my cup holders ? My wife has the illuminated ones in her jeep and I'm well jealous lol.

Cheers
Yeah there is a link to his website in the first post. They are awesome!
brad248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #413
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad248 View Post
Any progress on the jeep logo for the cubby by the shifter?
Yeah, expect an update by this weekend.

Quote:
Hi Craigbru.....

Cheers
Quote:
Ignore my last . I've found the answer, about to order bit no option for shipping the the UK. Can it be arranged ?

Cheers
Not a problem man. I'll add a UK shipment option tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad248 View Post
Yeah there is a link to his website in the first post. They are awesome!
Indeed. Thanks for the support.
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #414
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Thanks. Good instructions as well may I say 👍
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #415
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Thanks. Good instructions as well may I say 👍
UK shipping options are now on the site. Looks like it will add about $12 USD to the total cost.
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #416
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Order ordered

Cheers
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #417
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

I see it, and I'll get it shipped out tonight. Thanks for the order!
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #418
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Craig, I've been meaning to talk to you for the longest time, but you know how life goes. I was never able to get my driver's side ring to work correctly. It flickers like crazy so I've been driving around without it. Any chance I could get another ring/LED? I'll pay for it if need be
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #419
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
Craig, I've been meaning to talk to you for the longest time, but you know how life goes. I was never able to get my driver's side ring to work correctly. It flickers like crazy so I've been driving around without it. Any chance I could get another ring/LED? I'll pay for it if need be
No problem man. I'll get a replacement sent to you tomorrow. (Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.)

As a side note, as of last night, I've ditched the connectors that attach to the LED strip. I'm straight up soldering each strip on to the leads now. Sure, it takes a little more time to do, but it also ensures that you'll never have connector issues.
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #420
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Awesome, thanks Craig! You're the best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.