WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #391
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
That's cool..... same thing Craig. No need for a new one. Ill try and see if I cant fix it myself. Maybe re-solder the loose connection. But a picture would def help so I know exactly what to look for.
Yeah, I'll definitely take a few pics as soon as I get home. Then you can see exactly what is needed to fix it

Unread 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #392
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Craig, I haven't been able to get one of my cupholder rings connectors to stay either. I've tried a couple of times to re-seat the connection and it's all good so I put everything back together, but in a few days, it's happening again. Only with my driver's side, the passenger side is fine!
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #393
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
Craig, I haven't been able to get one of my cupholder rings connectors to stay either. I've tried a couple of times to re-seat the connection and it's all good so I put everything back together, but in a few days, it's happening again. Only with my driver's side, the passenger side is fine!
Take a look at my pics when I post them and see if that fixes it for you. We'll get it sorted one way or another.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #394
bhawks28
2009 WK 

cool thanks man
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #395
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Okay, should you have intermittent connection issues, take a look at the following pics. Sometimes colors don't match, or one of the colors isn't displaying correctly, and here is how to fix it. What is happening, is that one of the 4 contacts on the LED strip isn't making a solid connection. While I do test everything before sending the sets out, I suspect being bounced around during shipping as a likely cause of this happening. As I posted just a little ways back, I've changed up my packaging and shipping methods to counter this. As always, sometimes things just don't work despite your or my best efforts. Should that happen, feel free to attempt the following repair method. If it doesn't work, or you aren't confident in your abilities to try, just message me and I'll send you out a replacement LED strip and wire. It's very important to me that these sets work for you guys.

So, see that gray clip in the pic? Ever so gently pull back on the LED strip and it should move out enough to release. I say to do it gently, because that is some of the most fragile plastic I've encountered in anything.

Once the strip is released, it should look like this.

On the back side and right above the copper contacts on the other side, you need to make 4 very small incisions with a sharp knife. Each cut should be right above the copper on the other side.

If done properly, you should see this. Notice how the copper contacts now protrude from the surface? That will ensure a much better connection. I've been doing this myself on all the newer sets before assembly.

Now you just need to reassemble. Please be very careful with the gray clip. Anything other than a straight push in, will usually cause it to break. If that happens, there's not much that can be done to fix it. I'll have to replace it for you.

I hope that helps!
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #396
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Thanks for the pics Craig,

If I have time, ill give it a try this weekend.

Also, I was driving around in a co-workers ford fusion sport. And he had his ambient lighting on. I started thinking...... With the cup holders and possibly the "jeep" logo cubby. It might be kind of cool to throw a little LED under the driver and passenger dash area.

The fusion just had a single LED right on the side of the dash down low where your knees would be.

But if we could get like two LED's for that, that also run off the same controller as the cup holders and "jeep" logo. That would be pretty cool. You could sell like a total "Ambient light package" for the jeeps. Just an idea.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #397
buckalo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No why couldn't they just make that a stock addition...well probably b/c they would charge $1000 for it. Either way very nice mod.
buckalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #398
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Thanks for the pics Craig,

If I have time, ill give it a try this weekend.

Also, I was driving around in a co-workers ford fusion sport. And he had his ambient lighting on. I started thinking...... With the cup holders and possibly the "jeep" logo cubby. It might be kind of cool to throw a little LED under the driver and passenger dash area.

The fusion just had a single LED right on the side of the dash down low where your knees would be.

But if we could get like two LED's for that, that also run off the same controller as the cup holders and "jeep" logo. That would be pretty cool. You could sell like a total "Ambient light package" for the jeeps. Just an idea.
Not a problem man. Let me know how it goes.

You know... I've been looking into exactly this. The fact that they tie all together would be awesome. Especially if you got the wireless RGB controller to go along with it. I'll keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckalo View Post
No why couldn't they just make that a stock addition...well probably b/c they would charge $1000 for it. Either way very nice mod.
Haha, thanks. You know it would be one heck of an up charge.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #399
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

So glad you posted this. Just had mine change colors on me today when I turned on the Jeep. It switched back after I banged the console but I think this will be a more permanent fix.

Loving these things by the way. One of the only ways I can have my fav color purple in my Jeep without the bf giving me the stink eye..

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #400
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
So glad you posted this. Just had mine change colors on me today when I turned on the Jeep. It switched back after I banged the console but I think this will be a more permanent fix.

Loving these things by the way. One of the only ways I can have my fav color purple in my Jeep without the bf giving me the stink eye..
Yeah, it's unfortunate that it happens, but it's not a bad fix. I'll definitely support anyone that has issues either way.

Haha, too funny.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #401
tom19511
2006 WK 

RF wireless

Hi craig, Anymore on the wireless idea?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #402
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Hey man, sorry for the late response. I'm on vacation through Tuesday. I did receive some controllers in, unfortunately they sent me the wrong ones. I've had to send them back and reorder. Unfortunately that means a little while longer to wait. I'll certainly let you guys know when they arrive.
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #403
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Just another quick update guys. I'm always looking for ways to improve things. Several people have suggested that it would be pretty cool if there was a Jeep logo in the center of the rings. I happen to agree. However, it's a little more complicated than the current rings for several reasons. The first of which, is the fact that all the rings would need to be CNC'd from both sides. Meaning I'd have to switch end mills and flip the part over halfway through cutting. Not impossible, but alignment would be critical to make sure everything matches up as it should. The second issue is the fact that to cut in any detail, I've got to use a much smaller end mill. Also, workable, but it would basically triple the milling time due to the shallow cuts needed to ensure the plastic doesn't melt on the mill. Lastly, any plastic that is transparent happens to show whatever is beneath it. Due to the way the LED strips sit in the bottom, you'd see the ugly white back of the strip. It might also look bad when lit. There aren't many great ways to hide the strip, but I do have an idea. I've ordered translucent white, and transparent dark gray acrylic for testing. I think I can cut the rings out of either of those, and possibly have the strip better hidden. I'll know for sure once I get acrylic and can try it out next week. In the meantime, this is about what they would look like.

Unread 07-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #404
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I love the idea. Hopefully it'll come out as good as you want it to. Gots to save my pennies so I can get a set. Also why i've done nothing about the way mine are now.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #405
tom19511
2006 WK 

I wonder if we can put a round Jeep sticker over the whole ring in place of the darkend center area.. Maybe offset the LED strip? Just a thought. BTW, Anymore on the RF controllers?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.